It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago’s newly armed residents send murder rate plummeting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

ScottProphhit

Destinyone

ScottProphhit
If you really wanted to stop people getting killed then end poverty. I'll say it again. You have to end poverty. You're letting it happen.

Until you stop poverty...and I'm sure you must have the answer on to how to do it...I'll keep my private firearms to protect myself.

As I don't see poverty ending in my lifetime.

Des

edit on 5-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

I will stop poverty. It could end tomorrow, as soon as people decide "no one should have to go without basic needs" it's not hard, you just don't want poverty to stop yet. Do you? Otherwise all your time and effort would be spent on that.

I've had every dollar that can be squeezed out of me in taxes, along with millions of other people for God knows how many years. Hasn't stopped poverty yet. You'll have to come up with something better than that, as I'm pretty close to poverty level as it is. Your idea of redistribution has hit a dead end with me. Got nothing left to redistribute.

Still doesn't change my mind and make me sell my arms to make poverty stop. Not gonna happen. Maybe you can find the poverty cure all for the rest of us. That would be so nice

Des

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by soontide

It's all attributed to the weather and not because people are carrying weapons and to think otherwise is plain stupid. I live here, I understand how cold weather = not a lot of murders, but when the hot spring/summer days roll around we will be seeing LOADS of murders and shootings... Like I replied with in my earlier post, 14 people were shot in Chicago last night...
edit on 5-4-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Guns don't kill people, good weather does! Seriously people, lees people are getting killed but arming people doesn't stop the cause of crime. Your rulers are the cause of crime.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottProphhit

I wouldn't call it good weather, more insufferable HOT weather, where you can't stay inside your house, which means you take to the street, since a lot of these low-income households don't have air conditioning...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm going to revisit this thread in another 6 months. Good to know your title (copied from a blog) is so sure of itself. Who knew hyperbole was your strong suit?

CJ

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I would like to see a month by month. To see if there is a drop after the permits were issues. Before I bet money on a tie in, I would like to see a chart with tempature and killings. It's been a cold winter. The lower numbers could be attributed to it being to cold for the gang bangers to bang....

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

thinline
I would like to see a month by month. To see if there is a drop after the permits were issues. Before I bet money on a tie in, I would like to see a chart with tempature and killings. It's been a cold winter. The lower numbers could be attributed to it being to cold for the gang bangers to bang....

Not could be, it is... I live here, and for any chicago resident who's lived here for some time knows that the murder rate climbs exponentially once hotter days begin to arrive. And you are right, this winter here has been ONE of the more brutal ones we had. Obviously, very few people are getting murdered or shot when its -30 degrees out...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Your statement is false.

(post by ScottProphhit removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I'm not wasting my time on you.

Let's try to stay on topic.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thinline

Since this past winter was extreme it would be prudent to not jump to conclusions based on what happened in the past quarter.

Here's an interesting chart. Homicides by month, 2001-2013.

The pattern seems pretty consistent for all crimes. Here's the data source. Have fun all.
data.cityofchicago.org...
edit on 4/5/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thinline

I did a little bit of research and came up with something that might just show the trend I've been talking about. It's a murder analysis document put out by the Chicago Police Department for 2011 (the most recent I could find) with a chart of page 18 showing a comparison of the number of murders per month. This chart doesn't show other violent crimes but it does point toward a trend. According to the chart, in in the months from January to March 2011, there were a total of 72 murders. from april to june, there were 115 murders with another 55 in the month of July. It's not a perfect Bell curve, but it does show a trend towards more violence in warmer months. Also, on the same site, there is a report showing crime trends over the past decade that also shows a decline in overall violent crime rate in general.

2011 chicago murder analysis

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looks like we were working on the same thing. Good chart.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Oh really? Why don't you tell that to the Ukrainians who's country was just invaded by Russia. Tell that to the Mexican civilians seeing their country torn apart by drug violence. Tell that to all the innocent Africans caught up in religious tribal warfare.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by soontide

Here's another. Annual homicides. Seems to be a significant decline prior to the new law. Wonder what the rest of the year may bring.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sigh.... As anyone with a brain know, this has nothing to do with being able to carry guns whatsoever.
It's just utter BS gun propaganda as usual.... sad to see so many people posting in support of this.

It's embarrassing to read the first page... on a site where the motto is "Deny Ignorance" to see such utter idiocy... from so called "respected " posters and even staff.

Firstly there has been decreasing murders in virtually EVERY STATE, year on year, regardless of gun ownership.

Secondly in Chicago there has been a decreasing trend in homicides since the late 1990s....long before anyone could legally carry a gun . Additionally homicides went up in 2012, after McDonald v. Chicago, so the court ruling has had little, if any, effect on the decreasing trend in homicides.

But don't let facts get in the way of the usual suspects whooping and hollering about their guns and how everyone would be safe with carrying more guns. (actually it's the opposite)

Why don't people ever research or look into the facts? Just read the headline and believe what utter **** they're being fed.

IT IS CRAP!!! Murders are down EVERYWHERE and it has NOTHING to do with Concealed Carry or any other Gun related myth you people wish to perpetrate.

nation.time.com...

www.thedailybeast.com...

edit on 5/4/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I will stop poverty. It could end tomorrow, as soon as people decide "no one should have to go without basic needs" it's not hard, you just don't want poverty to stop yet. Do you? Otherwise all your time and effort would be spent on that.

How?

By raising taxes? Yeah, American citizens are some of the most heavily taxed people on Earth, yet we have hundreds of thousands, maybe millions living at or below the poverty line... Clear proof that more taxes are the answer.

If not that, how?

You can't make people want to help others. It just plain doesn't work that way.

Poverty isn't the sole cause of property crimes, part of it, surely. Another cause is people who think that it's just easier to steal someone else's treasures, rather than working for it themselves...

There is no one answer for the poverty issues. ...and no one has an answer. If they did, things would have changed many hundreds, even thousands of years ago.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yeah, American citizens are some of the most heavily taxed people on Earth
You sure? Looking sort of average I think.
www.project.org...

Not saying taxes are the answer, mind you.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Cases of Deterrence aren't included in statistics.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join