It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tungurahua is erupting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Ha! I know EXACTLY what you mean! Honestly, it was the Thursday night wine for me, and the Friday night scotch...dang volcanoes!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The geo institute is at the National Polytech school; it's legit.
The earthquake aggregator sites such as RSOE and globalincident pull data from the larger sites like USGS, EMSC, etc. If those outfits don't list a quake, neither will RSOE or globalincident.
USGS usually only lists mag 4.5 and greater for areas outside the US.

Unfortunately, the Ecuadorian recent EQ page isn't functioning at the moment.

Looking at the spectros, there is still eruptive activity ongoing. When (if?) the clouds clear, the webcams will give a better idea of the situation.

From yesterday; you can see a pyroclastic flow heading down the center/right flank of the volcano.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Thanks for the update and clarification. I actually pull feels off USGS and other similar data feeds to populate a website of my own, but I hadn't seen an event like this happen before where it was still a non-event reported, hours afterward. USGS itself wasn't showing anything I recognized last night, so it's been an interesting example to see the limitations of those services and their feeds for real time notification of events.

Not quite as updated or real time ..sometimes..as I'd have hoped or thought I'd seen them in the past. It's all good though. It can be accommodated once known about for those limitations.

Now I hope that mountain pipes down without blowing in any serious way.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

jadedANDcynical
reply to post by Olivine

If I'm reading that correctly, that flow is really rocking hardcore from 1 to about 3 or 4 hertz with bands running up to 7 or 8 hz.

That's some serious rumble.

Looks like they will have more data to compare fo this study:

Abstract
Four earthquakes with Mw ≥ 8 occurred in proximity to 60 Holocene volcanoes, in the Southern Volcanic Zone of the Andes (SVZ) since 1906. We analyzed these events by numerical modeling and field data to understand the key attributes of each volcano that may lead to a seismically-triggered eruption and the general mechanisms by which earthquakes could trigger volcanic new activity. We developed a new approach by resolving the earthquake-induced normal static stress change on the magma pathway of each volcano instead of considering the general crustal volume. We also considered other parameters that may lead to eruption, such as magma chamber depth, magma composition and viscosity, local tectonic settings and volcano dimension. The dataset includes a total of 18 new volcanic activities following large earthquakes (15 eruptions and 3 minor increases in volcanic activity) at 10 volcanoes. Of these, 9 out of 18 events representing unrest occurred at volcanoes that had no activity in the five years before the earthquake.

Quantifying the effect of large earthquakes in promoting eruptions due to stress changes on magma pathway: The Chile case

GREAT reference/link. Thank you. Collecting proofs that earthquakes can cause volcanic eruptions. Seems like a no-brainer but it's treated like a "controversial" idea.

S&

F&S for the thread too.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I see a big face staring down at the ground in that smoke

edit on 5-4-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Here is an updated pic today of the ash cloud. From what I hear there is still moderate activity happening.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Kratos40
reply to post by Tucket

Something is brewing underneath that whole area of South America with quakes and volcanoes going off. If we could only peer into the Earth's mantle and outer core to see what is happening.

Well, guaranteed someone knows what is going on, and uses science to slow the masses down so they believe anything they learn.

If only anyone could prove there IS a mantle and outer core, perhaps this is all being looked at the wrong way.

I find everyones imaginations are totally limited by "core" beliefs, likely all unproven lies.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The ring of fire is very active .... Wonder what's coming next and where.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Wow, these pics look spectacular!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Wow...this might add to climate change.......Better start Taxing Volcanoes (or the countries that own them).
Ecuador...you owe us 10 billion trillion US dollars thanks.

Next...oh Indonesia.....you owe us...........

Humans and all life on this planet, are mere pawns to the forces of Natural Law.

Adapt or die......just as is always has, and will be.

Just enjoy the ride and be happy.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Kratos40
reply to post by Tucket

Something is brewing underneath that whole area of South America with quakes and volcanoes going off. If we could only peer into the Earth's mantle and outer core to see what is happening.

Well since no one knows where certain melted cores have gone or what they are doing to the planet way down deep in the earth.... hrmmm

Maybe Mamma Nature is finally getting fed up with us heh.

Lil

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Recent pic and tremor activity HERE Choose Tungurahua from left drop down.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

gort51
Wow...this might add to climate change.......Better start Taxing Volcanoes (or the countries that own them).
Ecuador...you owe us 10 billion trillion US dollars thanks.

Next...oh Indonesia.....you owe us...........

Humans and all life on this planet, are mere pawns to the forces of Natural Law.

Adapt or die......just as is always has, and will be.

Just enjoy the ride and be happy.

What? Volcanoes are more likely to cool the earth by spewing ash into the atmosphere than warm it due to CO2 emissions - this is why 1816 was famously a year without a summer, a volcano erupted and blanketed the atmosphere in ash.

Volcanoes average 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.
Humans produced 26.8 billion tonnes of CO2 in 2003.

It's gone up since.

edit on 15Tue, 08 Apr 2014 15:20:23 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago4 by Greven because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join