It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Violence Rampant In Southern Red States

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The study has shown that overall firearm deaths between 2001-2010 nationally was about 10.33 per 100,000 people. The states that rank the highest in overall firearm deaths are:

1. Louisiana, 18.9 per 100,000

2. Alaska, 17.84

3. Mississippi, 16.98

4. Alabama, 16.62

5. Nevada, 15.92

6. Wyoming, 15.9

7. Montana, 15.5

8. Arizona, 15.48

9. Arkansas, 15.32

10. Tennessee, 15.19

Still want to trust the NRA and Republicans that background checks and tighter regulation does more harm?

www.americanprogress.org... [pdf file]
edit on Sat Apr 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link, ex tags, sniiiped huge quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Sat Apr 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs,a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Gasp the horror !

All them guns getting up all on their own going around hurting people.

Someone must 'Do' something ! ! ! ! !

'gun violence' eh ?

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The Left is losing the debate over gun confiscations.

So they have to keep inventing new angles and perspectives from which to shape this issue.

Lets just be clear, gun ownership (not just guns, "ARMS") is a RIGHT. Full stop. Period. End of story.

Debate as much as you want, this is a RIGHT that the America people will never relinquish.

Give it some time, these new "facts" and "statistics" will be challenged.

For example, you'll notice that they used the term "gun violence" as opposed to "gun murders".

This allows them to incorporate more numbers (suicides for example) to benefit their pre-existing bias.

edit on 4-4-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
How many people died from car accidents in these same states, is it time to outlaw automobiles ?

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well I won't put any stock in a study done by, or funded by this group.

The Center for American Progress is a partisan left wing public policy research and advocacy organization. Its website states that the organization is "dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action". The Center presents a liberal viewpoint on economic issues. It has its headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Its President and chief executive officer is Neera Tanden, who worked for the Obama and Clinton administrations and for Hillary Clinton’s campaigns

Source

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Just a couple points to consider, not to completely discredit your list or anything.

1. The places with the most gun crime also have the most people, which make the per capita lower, even though there's more of it - and those places happen to be urban centers like Chicago.

2. This study didn't compare other ways of dying/murder/suicide. What if the study showed that the liberal states had just as many or more murders per capita, but they were just with other weapons? Isn't murder, murder?

3. Does it really matter HOW people commit suicide - with a firearm, or jump in front of a bus? I think this study should also include the other ways of suicide, and see if they sky rocket in parts where guns are less accessible.

4. Of course Alaska has the most firearm deaths. Only crazy people move there, seriously.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I don't either especially since the gun control regulations since 1934.

70 + years of it.

And the laws that already says that people can't harm or kill each other.

edit on 4-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I would say these gun deaths per capita are mostly criminal instigated in the higher crime cities and areas.

And probably the guns in question are not registered etc.

Need comparison facts.

link   
Nice numbers you got there. Sad fact is gun lovers will only deny the truth, even if nobody is going after there guns.

link   
Neo made a very good point.

The gun doesn't shoot itself. There must be a person behind the gun to pull the trigger.

I'd be willing to bet that those states with higher gun violence also have higher poverty and overall crime rates. If people are desperate and in need, they will commit crimes.

It would be interesting to see those aspects compared to the stats in the OP. The results would give you a better idea of why those states have more gun violence.

link   
reply to post by Skymon612

Your correlation brings to mind a phrase from my younger years: "No #, Sherlock".

It doesn't take very much analytical skill to note that the more available a gun is, the more frequent it will be used as a method to commit violence. And if a gun is not available, another item will be used like a lead pipe or a knife. I would hazard a guess that there are multiple factors that dictate the likelyhood of violence in general, and that many of those factors come into play in southern states.

I would point out that New Mexico isn't on either of your lists. It is an open carry state.

All that aside, since we know that violence is going to happen regardless of the presence of a gun, there is only 1 question left to ask yourself: Would you rather be beaten to death, or stabbed until dead?

The term "gun violence" is dumb. Just as dumb as "livable wage". it is a loaded phrase used for political reasons. It is empty and meaningless.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

SpaDe_
Well I won't put any stock in a study done by, or funded by this group.

The Center for American Progress is a partisan left wing public policy research and advocacy organization. Its website states that the organization is "dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action". The Center presents a liberal viewpoint on economic issues. It has its headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Its President and chief executive officer is Neera Tanden, who worked for the Obama and Clinton administrations and for Hillary Clinton’s campaigns

Source

No, neither you nor your avatar would. Betcha you're put a lot of stock in one funded by the oppositely leaning NRA though because that's what you might tend to agree with. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground on this issue.

ETA: And no, guns don't shoot themselves. But if there are more around they might tend to be used more thus opening us up to more accidents and such. Is that really all so illogical?

Now. I happen to be a gun owner, and I believe in the Kennesaw Principle, but accidents happen and people who get angry could possible use guns in fits of rage or insanity if they're handy.
edit on 4/4/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Taobender

Better yet how many people died in automobile accidents due to alcohol.....further more how many children have been slain because alcohol related incidents
edit on 4-4-2014 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Blaming gun ownership for deaths is equivalent to blaming spoons for making people fat.

Mississippi is the fattest state: www.nydailynews.com...

Let's ban all of their fast food restaurants.

The point being.... stupid people exist. Restricting the rights of everyone because stupid people walk among us isn't the way to fix it.
edit on 4/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hmmm. What about the state(s) that have "lenient" gun laws, but is/are nowhere else on your stats.
Maybe it's the peoples' frames of mind, rather than the state of residence.

Also, I think you mentioned the 'Southern Red States' as the problem? But your stats don't reflect only southern states.

edit on 4/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
Nice numbers you got there. Sad fact is gun lovers will only deny the truth, even if nobody is going after there guns.

So tell me why should I or any other gun owner outsource their personal security to a government that has more blood on their hands than I do or they do ?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dukeofjive696969

Sad fact is gun grabbers never give up, even though they couldn't get our guns even if they tried.

I think this gun control issue has been debated more than enough. Gun control doesn't work, now give it a rest already.
edit on 4-4-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You find a genuine study that isn't done for political purposes or gain, and I will take it seriously, problem is you most likely won't. This is obviously done for just those reasons.

link   
reply to post by neo96

Good old neo, what does your question have to do wih my statement, all i said what its some sad numbers and nobody is coming for your guns.

Keep up the agenda pushing

link   

Skymon612
And finally we come to the children.

I tried to re-read your list of numbers. It is poorly presented, due to the forums format, so it is difficult to get a bead on. But when I got to this line, quoted above, my eyes rolled so hard that I was unable to read anything else.

Children should never, ever be cut out of life so prematurely.

And who should? Are you saying that once you turn 18, dying is ok? No longer a tragedy? So a childs life is MORE valuable than anyone elses? Are they more equal, too?

But sadly, 20 slain children in their classrooms in Newtown wasn’t enough for the gun-toting right to change their tune and enact legislation to keep this from happening again.

Isn't murder already illegal? And carrying a gun on school grounds? Seems to me like you want more laws that seem to not work. The definition of madness is repeating your steps and expecting different results.

Conservatives said “no way, Jose!” and more children died every day.

I am no conservative. I am a foaming at the mouth, fundamentalist libertarian. Anarchist might be a better fit, honestly. And I say "No way, Jose!", too. Matter of fact, I want to know when I will be able to have my howitzer, or the 50cal mounted on my truck. "Shall not be infringed" seems pretty clear. Since you like laws and whatnot.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join