It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities covering up serial killer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Im in Brisbane Australia since November last year we have had four international students murdered here.

1.Eunji Ban of Korea found bashed to death in Wickham Park 24/11/2013.
2.Min Tae Kim of Korea exhumed from a shallow grave in Algester 19/12/2013
3.Meenatchi Narayanah of Singapore found stabbed to death in her hotel room at Mount Gravatt 25/03/2014
and last Saturday Sophie Callumber of France whose naked and beaten body was found in Kurilpa Park.

In three of these cases there are suspects but do they have the right perpetrators these murders keep happening.

What concerns me the most is the total head in the sand response from authorities,there has been no move to introduce
any personal safety instruction for students they wont even acknowledge the problem both the State Premier and Lord Mayor
insist the city is 'safe'.The local paper is a Government lap dog and insists these people were just in the wrong place at the wrong time(its a Murdoch rag)

There are 40 000 foreign students in the cities 3 major universities worth $2.3 billion to the city and the authorities response
seems to be like the one in the movie Jaws where the local authorities are so scared of loosing revenue they deny there is a problem.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Except for being the criminals who cause most of our problems, the head-in-sand approach is pretty much all governments know. See: Fukushima.

But the Constitution-violating criminals in America should take note, because it looks like people still get murdered even without guns.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Unfortunately, instead of teaching these students how to protect themselves, they are trying to hide the fact that there is a maniac serial killer running the streets of the beautiful city. It definitely seems to be a racially motivated serial killer that is targeting Koreans, and other foriegners. Just my guess
edit on 4-4-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have to agree with your Jaws motive on the Authorities part, although the collection of evidence in all aspect's is a long and drawn out process as we all know.
I have to say the first two deaths may have taken a back seat seat during all the "bikie law" hype and I have a feeling if the person committing these crimes inst caught before the G20, the deaths of these young women will be pushed off the table again.

edit on 4-4-2014 by PLAYERONE01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

There is some unfortunate history in my state of fabricating evidence and arresting the wrong guy The Whisky A Go Go fire being one case that comes to mind hopefully they do not do this for expediences sake.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by khnum

I have to agree with you on that, and I dont think a lot has changed below the surface in the sunshine state.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here in the US, in the town in which I live there was a lot of flack given to University and City officials for covering up how many rapes had happened a couple of years ago. The reason suspected was they didn't want to scare the parents of the students. The problem - students weren't aware of the problem so weren't taking extra precautions. In spite of the attention drawn to the issue it continues to be silenced.

With a serial killer on the lose it becomes even more critical to bring a lot of attention to the issue (not that the former does not warrant proper stats of crime). If they aren't you should write a letter to the editor and get this information disseminated and force their hand. You may save a life of one foreign student who will be more alert and use the buddy system.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I have written a letter to the editor stating that in light of recent murders personal safety instruction might be appropriate for foreign students I did not mention serial killers or revenue,it wasn't printed the Editorial line is the same as the Governments wrong place-wrong time city is safe,with Murdoch publications OR MEDIA if its not editorial policy it doesn't get printed,you will know this of course you have Fox News in the US

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Usually, there's a pattern with serial killers. I was with you up until Sophie because at least the first three were young Asian women ... that was the similarity I was seeing. Then there was Sophie. Unless she's a French woman of Asian descent, she doesn't fit that pattern, and none of the other details are very similar (murder method) that I can see.

So, what pattern makes you suspect a serial killer?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by khnum

At least you tried - that's more than most would - and you are getting the word out.

Did they note if any if these girls were sexually assaulted? I know one was found badly decomposed but it may make a difference in the profile. Of course - the least expected (Ted Bundy's) are only caught when someone escapes, sees them, they finally match DNA, or link their patterns through reports of a suspicious "something". Sociopaths are extremely slick.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

ketsuko
Usually, there's a pattern with serial killers. I was with you up until Sophie because at least the first three were young Asian women ... that was the similarity I was seeing. Then there was Sophie. Unless she's a French woman of Asian descent, she doesn't fit that pattern, and none of the other details are very similar (murder method) that I can see.

So, what pattern makes you suspect a serial killer?

A serial killer does usually adopt a pattern and technically just requires 3 or more murders by the same offender. If it is the same offender, then the pattern would be "female international students". There's actually a few different types of serial killers as well. What you're thinking of is more along the lines of an "organized" serial killer--one that strictly adheres to a specific methodology (different murder methods here also points to not one of these). The more common form of serial killer is the disorganized type. They are opportunistic by nature. If these 4 girls' murders are linked to the same offender, that makes the offender a disorganized serial killer. Carl Panzram, I think, would be an example of one of the latter type.

Don't feel bad. You were partially correct. I tend to think that serial killers as being the hallmark pattern killers with strict methodology, too. My fiance has a background in criminal justice and regularly corrects me on that. Media tends to focus on the method men though because they are really the creepier of the two but the disorganized ones are a heck of a lot more dangerous.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Well, I wasn't necessarily thinking of them as having to fit a strict pattern, but I thought there was usually some loose commonality beyond simply young woman.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

A serial killer does usually adopt a pattern and technically just requires 3 or more murders by the same offender. If it is the same offender, then the pattern would be "female international students". There's actually a few different types of serial killers as well. What you're thinking of is more along the lines of an "organized" serial killer--one that strictly adheres to a specific methodology (different murder methods here also points to not one of these). The more common form of serial killer is the disorganized type. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Excellent. In addition crime scene photographs will be used by profilers to determine if the perpetrator, for instance, posed the victims, intentionally left them to be found, used material in the crime that was brought to the scene-or not. One of the keys to the profilers would be opportunistic/organized or opportunistic/disorganization.

This is fascinating stuff that the FBI teaches through classroom discussions-that are now taught through the world.

What is obvious here is called screened information in which the profilers think the perp may be keeping up with news information about the crimes. They will attempt to, by planting false, or leading information in the press to arouse the persons ego and trick them into making a mistake.

If your not to squeamish looking at crime scene photos this is one of the most fascinating elements of crime solving started by John Douglass at the FBI.

Anyone can take the course-you don't have to be a law enforcement officer.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by khnum

Eh, Min Tae Kim was a male student. while its not impossible, its typically uncommon for Serial Killers to target victims across racial and gender groups.

Looking victimology of the other murders you mentioned, as well as cause of death in each case and crime scene location and character, either this is the most disorganised killer we've ever seen, or the deaths are unrelated.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

ketsuko

Well, I wasn't necessarily thinking of them as having to fit a strict pattern, but I thought there was usually some loose commonality beyond simply young woman.

There is if it is, in fact, the same offender in each case. The pattern would be "young female international students" and it also ties into that opportunistic nature that a disorganized serial killer would prefer. It could've simply been young women but the difference here is that international students do not generally know that many people and have no family in the immediate area so that their disappearance may take longer to note and they are more likely to be alone. Easier prey.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spooky24

Not squeamish here. Been to autopsies, performed dissections and lived out on a rez where the graphically run down wild dog was a very common site. Not a whole lot turns my stomach and the worst I experience is deep empathy for the victim at what they were put through in the end. Violent crime is actually one of my fiance and my past time's. Like I said, his background was in criminal justice/criminology and for me, I had a grandfather who was MI for who knows how long that trained me to have a keen observational eye. I tend to assess everything I see to gain a total picture and find patterns. It's kind of like murder-suicides of families. Almost every single time, the front yard of the home shown in pictures shows overly long grass and unkempt yards. I see it as a sign of a growing sense of a loss of control and disorder within. If I had to do my life over again with hindsight, I probably would've gone into forensics. I'll check it out. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

If you can get past the utter grossness of a human dissection autopsy's are the fascinating field of science there is. To me it's the great equalizer, other than width and berth we all are exactly alike on the inside and operate the same way.

As for this case don't be too quick to jump to miscellaneous patterns. For instance a huge deal was made by the fact that Bundy's victims were young, pretty and had straight hair parted down the middle. So much of a deal was made that girls started changing the way they did their hair. Also, that they resembled a former girlfriend.

Without today's modern profiling this all seemed logical-however it was just not true. Even Bundy himself got a laugh out of it. He simply said that "he had certain standards" and he hunted for his prey based on the ability to incapacitate them quickly-that, of course, was before he fell totally to pieces and began engineering his own capture.

Need more information on this case. Not all serial killers are cleaver psychopaths.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spooky24

Yep. Just a series of murders doesn't necessarily equal serial killer, hence why I kept stating "if it is the same offender". We don't have any of the forensic information obtained from any of the scenes so these could be totally separate and unrelated murders that just happen to have what seems to be a pattern. There is also a hazard in presuming that one "knows" anything based on external evidence. One can make assumptions but the only person that actually knows what is going on within that brain is the holder of that brain. That's pretty much true for just about anything and not just murder--poetry, art, and literature can also be wildly misinterpreted (and frequently so in colleges lol).

Agreed, too, about them not all being clever psychopaths (or sociopaths). There's dumb ones, too. My fiance says that it is usually the clever ones that have the higher body counts and the dumb ones tend to get caught faster. That could very well be true as I actually had a run in with a violent sociopath who was so overt in his pathology that he was caught before he escalated to the point of murder (homicide detectives were called in on my case due to certain factors). He wasn't too bright.

top topics

join