It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does more Guns = Less Crime ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The mistake with these types of threads is the assumption that crime rates and gun ownership is related at all.

We have examples, from around the world, that show countries with significantly high and low gun ownership and high and low crime rates...and pretty much every combination in between.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by oblvion

Yes it is pathetic.

Because as nature laws,god laws intended people have the RIGHT to defend themselves.

Some people outsource that to someone else, usually sitting a local Dunkin Donuts.

And sometimes that 'cure' is worse than the disease.

I dont call them for that very reason, until after the fact( which is what they are actually good for).

if you attack your dog and it fears death or severe bodily injury what will it do? How about a cat, or a rabbit, or squirrel, or any animal on earth?

Exactly......birth gives all life the right to self defense, with any and all needed tools and force available.

Dont be the douche aggressor and you wont have to sleep with the worms that night.

Neo we very rarely disagree, on this issue, we never will.

I will kill 36 people trying to harm my family if I have to to protect them. Yes they are only me and 3 kids, but the 36 should have known how to act right.

I will never be the guy invading their homes. They will though, die if they to invade mine.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Chica go Enacts Concealed Carry; Murder Rate Promptly Falls to 1958 Level

Good news: it might finally be safe to walk around the city of Chicago. Officials announced this week that the murder rate has reached its lowest levels since 1958.

WHAT ?

llinois and Chicago first legalized concealed carry last year, and murder rates have been on a steady decline since. W

More guns= less crime.

But wait !

Shouldn't those rates be going UP ?

Gasp!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
THIS is why we need guns. I wish this woman had a gun.

Warning: What you are about to see may be disturbing to some viewers. Hopefully all viewers.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

neo96
They also fail to mention that we ALREADY have laws that say that a person can not HARM or KILL someone else.

So their 'solution' is to make more laws that punish people who will never harm someone else, and who will never harm someone else.

Gun control laws hold people accountable for actions they have never done, and the 'majority' will never do.

Gun control laws are not needed.

For years I have always said that lawyers make the laws to benefit themselves. If you are a law abiding citizen safely ensconced in your house on a Friday night watching the March Madness playoffs, suddenly, your front door is kicked open and three thugs enter with malice aforethought. You quickly retrieve your Glock 9mm and make Swiss cheese out of the three.

Just a few years ago, you would have been charged with crimes from killing unarmed teens, to hate crimes if you happened to be white and they weren't. What you just did by killing three rambunctious "yutes" was take a potential $1.5 million out of the lawyer's hands by eliminating their fledgling entry into violent crime and years of being in and out of the court system. Shame on you!

But, with the new castle laws, this has come to an end.

Concealed carry has helped greatly, too.

written by a former law enforcement officer.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

For years I have always said that lawyers make the laws to benefit themselves. I

I am inclined to agree with you there.

For some odd reason they think their only job is to sit on capitol hill, and write law, after law, thousand page laws, after each other.

They definitely do benefit from it.

Which is most likely why we will never see tort reform either.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Once you are not feared as a man anymore, you are no longer a man.

Is a hilarious quote when it comes from an American male gun owner..
You are not a man if, you need a weapon in order to protect yourself and your family...so just hand in your man card.

It's the same ol' BS lie from the gun lovers..more guns = less crime..

It is just common sense to know that more guns means more crime. The gun make the criminals feel the same way the coward American male gun owner feels. Brave.

My great country of Canada is a great example. Sure we have crime, but it is not so bad that the criminals run our country and that we have so much fear that we only feel safe in our own homes with a weapon. We can actually go out at night, without living in fear. Not so easy for criminals to access guns here..so they have to actually step up...which they most likely not to do..especially if there is fear of an azz kicking from a supposed "victim".

Like all cowards in the world...they only feel powerful, when there is a weapon in their hand to help them. Without a weapon...like most cowards...they will continue to hide in the darkness.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Onslaught2996

Once you are not feared as a man anymore, you are no longer a man.

It is just common sense to know that more guns means more crime.

Why am I not surprised that what a leftist considers common sense is directly the opposite of what actual real life data and statistics prove ? There are several studies, even ones reluctantly submitted by anti-gun folks that show that the more people that have guns the less crime there is. That is not an opinion, it is fact.

Studies also glaringly show that violent crime rose sharply in Britain, Canada, Wales, and Australia once firearms were banned. I just don't get what is so hard to understand

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

peck420
The mistake with these types of threads is the assumption that crime rates and gun ownership is related at all.

We have examples, from around the world, that show countries with significantly high and low gun ownership and high and low crime rates...and pretty much every combination in between.

The mistake of looking deeply into subjects is that you find the truth of them isn't what you expected, wanted or can tolerate.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Taobender

Do you know why pro gunners stay away from comparing guns and crime with America vs Canada..because it doesn't help their cause..it helps to anti gunners and their common sense approach to gun laws. So please don't try to use our country as a reason for less gun control..ask any Canadian about their daily lives..then tell them about your little stat...we do not live constant fear over here..so crime rates may have risen but highly doubtful they were of any significance..

Have you actually read the stat you are promoting...in 2011 415,119 is the number of Violent Criminal Code violations in all off Canada..that is your big number you are touting on about from a population of 34.88 million is that not only about 1% of the population has experience violent crime? So the crime rate rose from what 0% violent crime to 1% violent crime in Canada. So what is your point?
Crimes, by type of violation, and by province and territory

Got any more stats..you would love to share that show how crazy violent it is in Canada? You know, since we have so few guns..

Proof right there. You people have so many guns out there..why has crime not already went down...oh yeah because the argument more guns = less crime is BS.
edit on 4-4-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Taobender

Studies also glaringly show that violent crime rose sharply in Britain, Canada, Wales, and Australia once firearms were banned. I just don't get what is so hard to understand

Please show these studies, the ones for Canada anyways..would love to see them?

Please also include the stat for mass shootings in Canada compared to America. I mean since we have less guns up here..they must be through the roof..
How we are so defenseless up here...the criminals must be running wild up here..

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Akragon
Might want to take Canada as an example...

Little to no guns, little to no gun violence... except by a few idiots, and cops...

Works for us... why not for the US as well?

Population... when you got 10 miles between houses.... Also it is too cold for about 9 months a year...

Now go live in Chicago for a year and ask this same question again...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

From Pierre Limeux French Canadian..." Look at total violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants. Their rate is now about twice as high in Canada as in the U. S. The violent crime rate has dropped markedly in the U.S. since the early 1990s, but has remained basically stable here. More data is available in Professor Gary Mauser’s Fraser Forum article, Why a Drop in ‘Gun Deaths’ Cannot Justify the Gun Registry (www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/books/chapterfiles/Nov05ffmauser.pdf).

www.captainsjournal.com...

www.liveandlocalenc.com...

www.freerepublic.com...

gunowners.org...

townhall.com...

every link sites it's source and study, enjoy

edit on 4-4-2014 by Taobender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

What about the cities..shouldn't violent crime be crazy there....I mean we have less guns so the criminals should be running everything.

Also what does being cold have to do with anything..and nine months...lol...yeah sure...get some facts straight.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
post by Taobender

Statistics Canada – Catalogue no. 85-002-X I E V ol. 21 no. 11 CRIME COMPARISONS BETWEEN CA NADA AND THE UNITED STATESreply to

In Canada, there were 542 homicides in 2000 resulting in a national rate of 1.8 homicides per 100,000 population. By comparison, there were 15,517 homicides in the U.S., resulting in a rate (5.5) three times higher than Canada’s

Crime in Canada

Canada has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It has been declining for decades

In fact if I could..I could show you more..but the stat your showing is only coming from one source..an it helps his book sales..which is a book on BS..more guns less crime myth.
Homicide Rates Higher in States with More Guns at Home

Do more guns lead to less crime?

when people say it’s obvious that more civilians carrying guns is the solution, the evidence is simply not there.

Guess what..you one supposed fact comes from the same story on John R. Lott...so basically this supposed stat is coming from him..where did he get it from..?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Onslaught2996

Guess what..you one supposed fact comes from the same story on John R. Lott...so basically this supposed stat is coming from him..where did he get it from..?

Wow, you obviously didn't even read them, one was from a British Government study that was later Updated on one of the links I provided you..........

www.dailymail.co.uk...

" UPDATE Correction: The data on the UK is from 2003 and it is not new as previously written however, newer data from 2009 shows gun violence in the UK has increased by 89 percent in the past decade, making the 35 percent figure insufficient. "

townhall.com...

Another link I provided was from a Study published by Harvard conducted by Canadian Gary Mauser, the same story provides 12 other sources.....

gunowners.org...

This link cited the Australian Burea of Criminology

www.captainsjournal.com...

You don't have to lie to kick it with me bro, I noticed your sources are like 14 years old, you might want to check out some new data

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Here is how blind and idiotic gun advocates are....two stories saying the same thing but notice something was left out in the gun advocates one..

First the original story...Pew study: Gun homicides in U.S. dropped nearly 50 percent over 20 years

The gun advocates story..same study shown but left out something important..
Gun Deaths Dropped by Half in 20 Years; Americans Unaware

Of course the gun advocates see it as a victory...but here is the keeper that proves this myth wrong...and was also left out of the gun advocate story..

Another interesting statistic from the study concerns gun ownership and homicide rates in the U.S. compared to the rest of the world. “Compared with other developed nations, the U.S. has a higher homicide rate and higher rates of gun ownership, but not higher rates for all other crimes,” the Pew study says

But here is a different story..so which one is true?

Gun Deaths Drop 26 Percent

Also the number are different..

The CDC reported 30,708 gun-related deaths — 11.4 per 100,000 people — in 1998, the latest year for which statistics are available. The rate is down 26 percent from 1993, when there were 15.4 deaths per 100,000 people.

from the pew story..

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics show there were 11,078 gun homicide deaths in the U.S. in 2010, compared with 18,253 deaths in 1993

Guess where the low numbers come from..a story where gun advocacy is the point.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
ahh yes...Dr. Gary A. Mauser
When peons are easily manipulated by bogus "experts"

In some of the most heated, the name Dr. Gary A. Mauser often shows up.

To be blunt, this poor academic track record would not even give him a tenured position in my department. At the opposite end of the spectrum, we find Dr. Arthur L. Kellermann, who has also conducted a lot of research on the consequences of gun violence. As of May 30th 2011, Dr. Kellermann had 146 peer-reviewed papers, which were cited 3,129 times (self-citations removed) (note: in medicine, papers are cited a lot). Quite a contrast to Gary Mauser. It's easy to argue that based on his accomplishments, Dr. Mauser actually has no credibility in the area of gun violence. His publication record is abysmal and researchers of gun violence ignore his work, even if it is to refute it. Not good.

Also why do you keep giving me links to other countries records when I specifically asked for Canada's and only one of those is on Canada..and it says nothing about doubling American violent crime rates. Gary A. Mauser does not tell anyone where he gets his stats from...my stats are from a government site where are his.

They also concerning the same years you are talking about...so why does it matter when a paper was written. If the years match up..who cares..

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am done for the night.

Face it..Canada just does not help gun advocacy...in fact it helps the anti gunners. Our common sense gun laws work less gun = less crime . Ask any Canadian..do they feel safe in their own homes without a weapon? Answer would be yes. Ask Americans the same thing..

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Xtrozero

Akragon
Might want to take Canada as an example...

Little to no guns, little to no gun violence... except by a few idiots, and cops...

Works for us... why not for the US as well?

Population... when you got 10 miles between houses.... Also it is too cold for about 9 months a year...

Now go live in Chicago for a year and ask this same question again...

Ya and of course these igloos make shooting peoples places up complicated, they'll just rebuild.. not to mention the winter mittens...

And lets not forget about the polar bears that wander the streets up here In the crazy north to eh...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join