It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fruit of the Loom to close Jamestown plant, lay off all 600 workers

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: macman
A lot of times it's not about making money. Most companies are. But they want to make MORE money.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Just to give some perspective here. Since you seem to think there's some tired overworked boss who's just trying keep his head above water and keep his business afloat. Who, after sitting in his office scratching his head and looking at the numbers, decides to bail and head for greener pastures. We're not talking about small businesses here.

Do you know who owns Fruit of the Loom?

In case you don't know about them : (from good ol' wiki)

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is an American multinational conglomerate holding company headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, United States, that oversees and manages a number of subsidiary companies. The company wholly owns GEICO, BNSF, Lubrizol, Dairy Queen, Fruit of the Loom, Helzberg Diamonds and NetJets, owns half of Heinz and an undisclosed percentage of Mars, Incorporated and has significant minority holdings in American Express, The Coca-Cola Company, Wells Fargo, and IBM. Berkshire Hathaway averaged an annual growth in book value of 19.7% to its shareholders for the last 48 years (compared to 9.4% from S&P 500 with dividends included for the same period), while employing large amounts of capital, and minimal debt.

Warren buffet (still CEO of Berkshire I believe) and his subsidiary corporations, including Mr. Rick Mendlin (still CEO of Fruit of the Loom I believe) are generating BILLIONS of dollars in business a year around the World for their investors. EVERY calculated move they make has NOTHING to do with keeping the lights on. It has ALL to do with EXPLOITING the society (especially those in poorer Countries) to extract as much profit as possible for their shareholders through ANY means necessary.

But you can believe their official 'poor little us, we're struggling to stay afloat' BS story if you want to. The only ones who are going broke, are the workers.

edit on 24-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Mr Buffet bought a company that was in Chapter 11 with more than 500 million in debts. When this happens, you buy the name, make some money and use it to purchase other ventures. Which he did. It is called Business 101. Nothing nefarious.

They have 26000 employees according to the Berkshire Annual Report for 2012. 600 jobs are lost. Not to say it is small but it is not like they are sending the whole company to Honduras. The textile industry is huge there and cheaper labor, tax and cost.

again, simply a business decision. Does it suck, yes, but the administration should worry about jobs and not the PPACA, investigating Conservatives and holding parties with Jay Z.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012

originally posted by: macman

I gave you my answer. Are you going to stomp your feet some more, or what?

I don't care what happens to others or other countries.

Not my responsibility nor my problem.

You know, an hour ago, I couldn't understand how someone could be so clueless. How someone could be so disinterested in worker fairness, and so supportive of the cancerous practice of job outsourcing. Now it's clear. You don't give a crap.

The person in the US has the right to work where they want, for whom ever they want.
If they don't think they are getting paid enough, they can seek employment else where.

What is not fair about that??

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
A lot of times it's not about making money. Most companies are. But they want to make MORE money.

That is the job of the company.

Do you get mad when your playing with a scorpion and it stings you?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I understand envy, as it is displayed. Narcissism as well.

What makes you think you get to decide what a company does or doesn't do?

The owners of any company have the right and freedom to make decisions for the company. That being to relocate, award employees money or what have you.

Guess you like your freedoms, just not for others.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

I understand envy, as it is displayed. Narcissism as well.

What makes you think you get to decide what a company does or doesn't do?

The owners of any company have the right and freedom to make decisions for the company. That being to relocate, award employees money or what have you.

Guess you like your freedoms, just not for others.

Like I said in another thread.

Our Government has bent over backwards to serve Large Corporations and Banks in this country to the detriment of small and medium sized business and the majority of its citizens.

We hear the talk constantly of needing to lower taxes, get rid of regulations and do even more to keep them from moving to China or some other third world Hell Hole.

What changed them from moving in the past?

These third world Hell Holes with no regulations and potential cheap labor existed in the past as well.

What changed was government creating trade policies to cater to corporate and banking lobbyists interests in other countries regardless of other countries political system. Indirectly Supporting Communism, Fascism and Crony Capitalism is A OK if there are profits to be made.

But that is not enough. They want and demand more because money and profits, not the best interests of the nation is their sole obligation regardless of the harm done to this country. Any objection to their wishes is met with trampling on their freedoms to do business with whoever they want.

Does that mean it is ok if I want to do arms business with Afghans or Iraqi's fighting US troops?
If you say no, You are trampling on my freedoms to do business with who I want to and I am not supposed to care what harm that does to my fellow American's. I am supposed to be only concerned about profits.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

Like I said in another thread.

Our Government has bent over backwards to serve Large Corporations and Banks in this country to the detriment of small and medium sized business and the majority of its citizens.

We hear the talk constantly of needing to lower taxes, get rid of regulations and do even more to keep them from moving to China or some other third world Hell Hole.

What changed them from moving in the past?

Regulations have increased, the Govt as a whole has become more hostile, there are larger instances of red tape and taxes have increased unless you are a donating friend of the Govt.

These third world Hell Holes with no regulations and potential cheap labor existed in the past as well.

What changed was government creating trade policies to cater to corporate and banking lobbyists interests in other countries regardless of other countries political system. Indirectly Supporting Communism, Fascism and Crony Capitalism is A OK if there are profits to be made.

But that is not enough. They want and demand more because money and profits, not the best interests of the nation is their sole obligation regardless of the harm done to this country. Any objection to their wishes is met with trampling on their freedoms to do business with whoever they want.

So, again, control those that don't do what you want or agree with.

Does that mean it is ok if I want to do arms business with Afghans or Iraqi's fighting US troops?
If you say no, You are trampling on my freedoms to do business with who I want to and I am not supposed to care what harm that does to my fellow American's. I am supposed to be only concerned about profits.

If a business wants to partake in War Time Profiteering, that is their choice.
The Fed Govt has done this, along with friends of the Govt.

Now, as a consumer, if I know this, I would not purchase what they sell.
In the Firearms industry, it doesn't take much for a company to be blacklisted by consumers and other companies. Your company probably wouldn't last long in doing this action.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join