It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fruit of the Loom to close Jamestown plant, lay off all 600 workers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
IN Bangledesh, not everyone has a HDTV...or an Xbox...or a iPhone....or an SUV...or a 4 dollar a day coffee habit. The average American worker uses all his money before payday almost....

They make 12 bucks an hour at an 6 hour job part time job. They spend 4 bucks on a coffee and then 8 bucks on lunch for fast food. If they have a car, they are using about 8 bucks a day in gas. Then there is dinner. Eat out again for fast food at 8 bucks.

28 bucks to live a day. They are making 72 bucks a day. Take out 25% for taxes and then you have more than half a days wages left after living your day.

This is common. Very very common with LOTS of people today. Sad part is, this is the way of life for many on WIC and assistance also. People who are NOT giving to the economy, just spending.

Priorities are needed with the common American just like the priorities of the American job provider.

edit on 04pm30pmfu2014-04-24T12:58:27-05:001227 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Really? Are you so sure about this? Because at the time in my life when I was poor enough to qualify for things like WIC and foodstamps, I certainly couldn't spare a dime for fast food or coffee. Heck, I would stress out over spending money on things like soap and toilet paper. Sure, I may have been spending $8 a day in gas but that was because I had to drive my kids to the next town over for daycare and then to work.
No T.V., no video games. Heck, I couldn't even afford a home phone much of the time. I could never figure out how people who got assistance got those things outside of family who provided them as gifts.
I have been called a moron on this site for not figuring out how to scam the system, but I wasn't about to risk it.

And yes, I worked. I worked for a crappy minimum wage job that got all kinds of tax breaks for me working there. They love to higher people on foodstamps over other people because they get tax breaks.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Visitor2012
a reply to: NavyDoc

Underpaid by what yardstick? A buck a day in Bangladesh is a hell of a lot better than no money at all per day in Bangladesh.

If a $15/hr American Employee, is replaced with a 'buck a day' employee in Bangladesh. That's called UNDERPAID in my book.

Then we should encourage, not discourage, companies to stay, yes?

Why would I want to encourage a company like that to stay?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Oh, so you get to set the standard for OTHER countries now.

If you think their standards are so great than why don't you move over there. Sounds fair.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

They make 12 bucks an hour at an 6 hour job part time job. They spend 4 bucks on a coffee and then 8 bucks on lunch for fast food. If they have a car, they are using about 8 bucks a day in gas. Then there is dinner. Eat out again for fast food at 8 bucks.

Who makes $12/ hr in 3rd world clothing manufacturing jobs?

28 bucks to live a day. They are making 72 bucks a day. Take out 25% for taxes and then you have more than half a days wages left after living your day

Since you sound so positive about it, I see no reason why you shouldn't move over there. It sounds like the good life.
edit on 24-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Underpaid by what yardstick? A buck a day in Bangladesh is a hell of a lot better than no money at all per day in Bangladesh.

If a $15/hr American Employee, is replaced with a 'buck a day' employee in Bangladesh. That's called UNDERPAID in my book.

You said you want jobs to stay in America, yes?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

I said AVERAGE AMERICAN. You know it is true. You would be the one that these programs are for. The ones who NEED it. You did not scam it and it is those who called you a moron that I am describing. I hope that it all came together for you and now are in a position to have to subsidize. That is what ALL of these programs are for, help not dependence.

The gas spending is pointed at our leaders, as well as the price of everyday food products now. Since 08 gas has doubled, the price of eggs...milk...a box of Mac and Cheese...all doubled or tripled.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Oh, so you get to set the standard for OTHER countries now.

If you think their standards are so great than why don't you move over there. Sounds fair.

Why should I move?

I never said their standards where fair or unfair.

Seems that you have again, allowed your emotion to dictate reason and fact.

And you seem to be assuming a lot.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

You said you want jobs to stay in America, yes?

Where did I say I wanted more jobs to stay in the US? My posts clearly communicates my desire for corporations like these to be taxed into the grave and casted out.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Do you know what third world country means? Why are you comparing COL and wages between the 2. Tech companies have outsourced for 30 years the Far East and Asia. It is manufacturing jobs lost that are killing the US. ANYONE could work in a factory with a minimal skill set. Then they could learn another trade. Move up. Become a supervisor/etc. That is lost. There is no more desire for middle management.

The problem in the US is laziness. A man in India will work 12 hours a day for 3 dollars and be grateful. In America, people are 'raised and instructed" on how to scam the American taxpayer. People demand 14 dollars an hour to flip a burger and if they complain enough will be replaced by more machines. Cheaper.

Then again, is that not what TPTB want? Dependance...control....ignorance...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I never said their standards where fair or unfair. Seems that you have again, allowed your emotion to dictate reason and fact.

I can tell you're losing steam here. Because you're starting to attack your idea of my personality and character. But let's get right to the chase.

You said:

I never said their standards where fair or unfair.

Fence squatter eh? Take a stand, do you think it's fair or not? Are you all for laying off American workers and outsourcing their jobs for pennies on the dollar?

It's ok if you are, I just so happen to disagree with the practice. I'm expressing an opinion, I'm aware that I'm not a ruler and I can't make decrees or tell companies and countries what to do, but thanks for pointing that out anyway.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thank you, I tend to get quite defense when I see comments like your previous one due t the the struggles and humiliation I went through during that time, and the fact that most people on ATS will still act like I was "one of those."

That was about 10 years ago, and I am in a much better place now despite the scars it left. The truth is, I couldn't have gotten on my feet without it though.

Without jobs though, how many people are going to be able to say they were able to get out of the situation I was in? Not many!
edit on 24-4-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The problem in the US is laziness. A man in India will work 12 hours a day for 3 dollars and be grateful.

I see. So it's laziness and ungratefulness that has caused the crumbling of our economy. And all this time I thought it was corporations and their investors exploiting and taking advantage of low paying working conditions in other Countries.

Btw, have you seen India lately?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes, it is laziness and the blaming of 'the man' that has partially led to the decline of this country. Blame someone else other than yourself should be the slogan of the last 10 years.

I find it amusing that it is always those who 'hate' the man or do not own a business that have the biggest problems also. I am sure if you were pulling down 1.2 million a year and were sick of your company being bled by big government you would leave the country also. We have gone from a country that creates to a country that simply wastes.

Here is a list of some things that have led to the decline...

The deindustrialization of the United States should be a top concern for every man, woman and child in the country. But sadly, most Americans do not have any idea what is going on around them.

For people like that, take this article and print it out and hand it to them. Perhaps what they will read below will shock them badly enough to awaken them from their slumber.

The following are 19 facts about the deindustrialization of America that will blow your mind....

#1 The United States has lost approximately 42,400 factories since 2001.

#2 Dell Inc., one of America’s largest manufacturers of computers, has announced plans to dramatically expand its operations in China with an investment of over $100 billion over the next decade.

#3 Dell has announced that it will be closing its last large U.S. manufacturing facility in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in November. Approximately 900 jobs will be lost.

#4 In 2008, 1.2 billion cellphones were sold worldwide. So how many of them were manufactured inside the United States? Zero.

#5 According to a new study conducted by the Economic Policy Institute, if the U.S. trade deficit with China continues to increase at its current rate, the U.S. economy will lose over half a million jobs this year alone.

#6 As of the end of July, the U.S. trade deficit with China had risen 18 percent compared to the same time period a year ago.

#7 The United States has lost a total of about 5.5 million manufacturing jobs since October 2000.

#8 According to Tax Notes, between 1999 and 2008 employment at the foreign affiliates of U.S. parent companies increased an astounding 30 percent to 10.1 million. During that exact same time period, U.S. employment at American multinational corporations declined 8 percent to 21.1 million.

#9 In 1959, manufacturing represented 28 percent of U.S. economic output. In 2008, it represented 11.5 percent.

#10 Ford Motor Company recently announced the closure of a factory that produces the Ford Ranger in St. Paul, Minnesota. Approximately 750 good paying middle class jobs are going to be lost because making Ford Rangers in Minnesota does not fit in with Ford's new "global" manufacturing strategy.

#11 As of the end of 2009, less than 12 million Americans worked in manufacturing. The last time less than 12 million Americans were employed in manufacturing was in 1941.

#12 In the United States today, consumption accounts for 70 percent of GDP. Of this 70 percent, over half is spent on services.

#13 The United States has lost a whopping 32 percent of its manufacturing jobs since the year 2000.

#14 In 2001, the United States ranked fourth in the world in per capita broadband Internet use. Today it ranks 15th.

#15 Manufacturing employment in the U.S. computer industry is actually lower in 2010 than it was in 1975.

#16 Printed circuit boards are used in tens of thousands of different products. Asia now produces 84 percent of them worldwide.

#17 The United States spends approximately $3.90 on Chinese goods for every $1 that the Chinese spend on goods from the United States.

#18 One prominent economist is projecting that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2040.

#19 The U.S. Census Bureau says that 43.6 million Americans are now living in poverty and according to them that is the highest number of poor Americans in the 51 years that records have been kept.

We were once the Largest manufacturer and now we are just the largest consumer.

edit on 04pm30pmfu2014-04-24T15:01:29-05:000329 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pm30pmfu2014-04-24T15:03:08-05:000308 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Going from one state to another state is far different than going from one nation to another. You do understand that don't you?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I can tell you're losing steam here. Because you're starting to attack your idea of my personality and character. But let's get right to the chase.

Oh, you really think so???
Well, I hope I do in fact rise to the occasion.

Fence squatter eh? Take a stand, do you think it's fair or not? Are you all for laying off American workers and outsourcing their jobs for pennies on the dollar?

I don't think that I get to dictate to OTHER countries as to who they act. You may, but I do not.
If the company wants to leave, then they have the freedom to do so.
Again, I am not a narcissist. I don't believe I get to dictate to companies where they may operate out of, nor who they should or shouldn't hire.

It's ok if you are, I just so happen to disagree with the practice. I'm expressing an opinion, I'm aware that I'm not a ruler and I can't make decrees or tell companies and countries what to do, but thanks for pointing that out anyway.

You say you are aware of such things, yet you come across as if you are the person from on high.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Going from one state to another state is far different than going from one nation to another. You do understand that don't you?

Nope, I guess I don't get it. Must be the redneck in me.

Please do explain how it is different that a company leaves say NY, with High taxes and moronic union requirements to TX, with low taxes, no state income tax and is a right to work?

As opposed to a company moving from NY to say New Zealand?

Oh, I think I get it. You think you should be able to tell the company that they can't leave. You know, acting as if you are not only in charge of the company, but of the rules as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I don't think that I get to dictate to OTHER countries as to who they act. You may, but I do not. If the company wants to leave, then they have the freedom to do so. Again, I am not a narcissist. I don't believe I get to dictate to companies where they may operate out of, nor who they should or shouldn't hire.

'We don't get to dictate.." "I don't get to dictate.." Alright we get it already. Why constantly repeat the obvious as if it has anything to do with your ability to form an opinion and express it?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I gave you my answer. Are you going to stomp your feet some more, or what?

I don't care what happens to others or other countries.

Not my responsibility nor my problem.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

I gave you my answer. Are you going to stomp your feet some more, or what?

I don't care what happens to others or other countries.

Not my responsibility nor my problem.

You know, an hour ago, I couldn't understand how someone could be so clueless. How someone could be so disinterested in worker fairness, and so supportive of the cancerous practice of job outsourcing. Now it's clear. You don't give a crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join