It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Pick-up lines

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

If he didn't 'put himself out there', he wouldn't have any failed relationships now would he?

I've had failed relationships....when I was younger we called it 'dating'.
Everyone you meet and go out with isn't going to be your life partner.

Why so hostile?

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

jacygirl

I don't see anything about TrueBrit asking for advice on bad relationships...he keeps 'falling into'? Everything he has done his whole life?
Is the 'antiquated English-speak' throwing you for a loop?
TrueBrit is a 'gentleman'. They are few and far between these days.
He wants an intelligent woman. Seems they are also few and far between.
He also doesn't want a relationship built solely on lust. (*sigh* once again...few and far...)

TrueBrit, you are a lovely man...a lovely human. You don't use cheesy pick-up lines.
Hunny...you don't need to.

jacygirl

And that is just the point his assertion is that anyone using pick up lies is solely looking to satisfy a sexual need, and that he doesn't use them because he never approaches anyone. This make-believe assertion that a "gentleman" would never use them is just simply false. The person that doesn't risk anything, will never gain anything. No one is telling him to go out and use pick up lines to bed every woman he can. Merely pointing out that who knows how many women that he may have found what he is looking for may have passed him by because he didn't step up and engage until he was fairly certain he wouldn't be rejected.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Nah, I think you're assuming far too much.
You don't have to use a pick-up line to talk to someone...it's called engaging in conversation.

I believe there is more than an ocean of water separating you...there is an ocean of misunderstanding. He is British, not American. There is a difference.

A cheesy pick-up line has never interested me. Neither have the men who said them.
Different strokes for different folks, etc.
Nice of you to want to help him SO much. Just rather curious as to....why.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This make-believe assertion that a "gentleman" would never use them is just simply false. The person that doesn't risk anything, will never gain anything.

I've been very lucky in my relationships for the most part, I'm still friends all my ex's, apart from my ex wife, the only time I ever used a pick up line was on her, she fell for it and the worst relationship of my life started.

I guess if you're false at the start, it's a shaky foundation to build on, that's just my experience, no biggie just my 2 cents.

Cody

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Men, what are your favorites for the ladies?

"Hi".

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

FancyName
reply to post by beezzer

Men, what are your favorites for the ladies?

"Hi".

*Standing ovation*

(lol...unless the other person answers, "No, not at the moment!")

jacy

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

(lol...unless the other person answers, "No, not at the moment!") jacy

To which I would answer, "Well let me get you there....."

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FancyName

hahaha...but that's funny! That is you using humour. A good ice-breaker.

Pick up lines to me always make me think...cocky, arrogant...player.
It really does depend on a lot of factors though. Some people can say cheesy things and still appear quite charming.
The drunk who staggers over mumbling about how you must have 'fallen from Heaven" though....not appealing.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

"I don't have a wonderfull opening but I bet you do"

"How do you want your egg in the morning"

The drunk who staggers over mumbling about how you must have 'fallen from Heaven" though....not appealing.

Have been guilty of really bad stuff myself. (while drunk)

I once offered this girl [SNIP]. "That's no way to talk to a lady!" "Who do you think you are?"

She was off course very insulted and mad during the whole 10 mins it took before she asked me come back to her place.

Lol.

edit, TMI?
edit on 12-4-2014 by FancyName because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

There is a vast difference between refusing to engage a woman in conversation using a pre-prepared phrase, often laden with innuendo, and refusing to speak to a woman at all. I do speak to members of the opposite sex. My preference, however, is to respect the idea that females are as capable of wit and charm, and subtlety (often more so in fact) as males, and to treat them as being anything else, by thoughtlessly rampaging into conversation by way of a clumsy one liner would be inappropriate.

I do not wish to introduce myself to female persons, as a person who quite wrongly believes, that he has the right to wander into their lives, and spout improprieties. I would much rather have a genuine conversation, un laden by that sort of failure of manners and dignity, than start one based purely on some stereotypical expectation, which in and of itself represents an erosion of all the rules of decorum and good conduct, which I was bought up to uphold.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I do not wish to introduce myself to female persons, as a person who quite wrongly believes, that he has the right to wander into their lives, and spout improprieties. I would much rather have a genuine conversation, un laden by that sort of failure of manners and dignity, than start one based purely on some stereotypical expectation, which in and of itself represents an erosion of all the rules of decorum and good conduct, which I was bought up to uphold.

Unfortunately, before the latter can happen the former must first take place, well not improprieties, but you have to break the ice in some sort of fashion.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well said True...you have my undivided attention sir.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Perhaps this would be a 'cultural' difference?
My parents were British. I was raised to be 'classy'.
Blatant overt sexuality was considered 'low class'.

I know that the times are changing, but I have to agree with TrueBrit.
Every person is an individual, and a product of their upbringing.
I'm comfortable with who I am. To each his own.

There is no 'wrong'...there is only 'different'.

As a "Jane", many men joked that they were "Tarzan". Not offensive.
The one who asked if I wanted to 'swing on his vine'? A distant memory, lol.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That is not always the case. For instance, if one happens to be stood outside a bar, smoking a cigarette, and notices a female failing to be able to light her own smoke, one merely proffers ones lighter to them, and thusly a conversation can come about, despite the fact that one would ordinarily do the same for anyone, regardless of the contents of their underwear.

Similarly, if one is ahead of a lady in a queue, one can stand aside and allow her to jump a space. This also can begin a conversation, without the necessity of invading their minds without invitation. Making space at a bar, letting a lady board a bus ahead of you, despite your having been waiting longer, common courtesy, politeness and empathy... They may be old fashioned ideas, but I find myself much more comfortable with such things, than the idea of making unwanted intrusions into a persons headspace, without permission.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Perhaps this would be a 'cultural' difference? My parents were British. I was raised to be 'classy'. Blatant overt sexuality was considered 'low class'.

That definately wasn't classy of me nor her, but hey,

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

lol too funny!
That is one of my favourite 'treadmill' songs on my ipod.
Disliking crass and vulgar isn't the same as being a prude.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Oh god.....how often have I heard that one......cringe!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Lol, really.

Disliking crass and vulgar isn't the same as being a prude.

I know. Although this dislike is often feigned.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Back when I was single, a cute Australian man in a bar once walked up to me while I was sitting with my friends and said:

"So, your place or mine?"

After the 1 second shock wore off, we all laughed so hard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join