It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restore me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
To whom do I owe repentance on account of my betrayal?
For in the eyes of two I have accomplished what is against them.
Although forgiveness is sublime, the remnants of sin hang heavy.

Is it that I had the will to do away with my foolishness, that offends you so much?

Or is it that in offending you I have forever maimed myself?

My eyes see not as clearly as before.
truly my sin is before me,
the cause of my great suffering.

Clear the way ahead of me, o Creator!
Allow me once again to come to be
in the light of your day.

For darkness does great harm
on the path strewn with obstacles.
My night vision I have forfeited,
to the enemy.

Restore me.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Seems to me like there's a major "help me, I can't help myself!" complex going on here.
edit on 4-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

the simple honestly with the self, and knowing that we are so, I would suppose.

I know where you are coming from though when you speak in this way. You should consider yourself biased though, if you wish to be honest with yourself. You do not know the heart of a believer, as is evident by your question.

Peace to you

Edit: this is in reply to your post before your edit
edit on 103030p://555 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Seems to me like there's a major "help me, I can't help myself!" complex going on here.

Sometimes it is wise to ask for help and guidance.

Breaking thru is hard on earth.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

backcase

the simple honestly with the self, and knowing that we are so, I would suppose.

I know where you are coming from though when you speak in this way. You should consider yourself biased though, if you wish to be honest with yourself. You do not know the heart of a believer, as is evident by your question.

Peace to you

Edit: this is in reply to your post before your edit

Self-depreciation is not what I call honesty.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

LittleByLittle

AfterInfinity

Sometimes it is wise to ask for help and guidance.

Breaking thru is hard on earth.

But no one likes a cling-on.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by backcase

The answer to your prayer/psalm is in Jesus' sacrifice for our sin. If you believe in His payment for our freedom, then you have been set free, reborn, and restored in the light.

Is this what you believe?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It is more of a self understanding, it is not self depreciation.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BELIEVERpriest

I believe in the process of perfection. I do believe in the sacrifice and resurrection, but I acknowledge my distance from the one who called me, or, my cost

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Even the angels enjoy their food ...peace

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

perhaps, but they do not eat to their detriment.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Self-depreciation is not what I call honesty.

Good topic for discussion.

What is honest humility before God .... and what is self-depreciation that is unhealthy?
Let's dig in ....

Humility - the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc. ... Honest self evaluation.

Self depreciation - a feeling of being of little worth. Having a tendency to disparage oneself. Usually destructive or demeaning in nature. Usually not an honest assessment.

Quotes from Saints on Humility

To be taken with love for a soul, God does not look on its greatness, but the greatness of its humility.
--St John of the Cross, OCD

“There is something in humility which strangely exalts the heart.”
--Saint Augustine

“It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.”
--Saint Augustine

He who wants to learn true humility should reflect upon the Passion of Jesus. (267)
-- St Faustina, Divine Mercy in my Soul

Self Depreciation

Self-deprecation means belittling yourself, or running yourself down, both internally and in the eyes of others. It is a drive to make yourself small or even invisible.

Self-deprecation is defined as:
The disparagement of one’s own abilities; [1]

Communication that expresses something negative about its originator; making negative statements regarding one’s own appearance or abilities, such as saying “I’m so fat” or “I’m such an idiot”; [2]

Expressing disapproval or being critical of oneself.

So the question is .... is it humility or self depreciation to admit that you need help and to ask for help from 'someone' who is stronger than you?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Some chose to .or were they deceived ? The book of James is a very rich book with a simple solution to our double mindedness .Far to often we walk ahead instead of along side ...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So the question is .... is it humility or self depreciation to admit that you need help and to ask for help from 'someone' who is stronger than you?

It makes no sense to take lessons in humility from the symbol of pride and entitlement. I feel it makes more sense to learn how to help yourself, rather than constantly reinforcing the belief that you will never suffice on your own. And that's what this is about - perpetual insufficiency. You are nothing without this "higher power". And that's what I don't agree with. I think the more you learn to rely on your OWN strengths, the less you are inclined to believe your strength alone is not enough. Of course, psychologically speaking, there are reasons for wanting people to believe they can't rely on themselves...it makes them more dependent, and therefore, more vulnerable. They are more willing to do what you want in exchange for what you can give them. Like confidence, self-esteem, and peace of mind.

And I say that they can have all those things by the power of their own strength.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
It makes no sense to take lessons in humility from the symbol of pride and entitlement.

The saints that I quoted took vows of poverty and weren't entitled. What they said ... about meditating on the life of Jesus so you keep your own accomplishments in perspective (healthy humility)... is excellent advice IMHO.

I feel it makes more sense to learn how to help yourself, rather than constantly reinforcing the belief that you will never suffice on your own.

True. Try to do things yourself. Keep working on it. At the same time, for those who are stuck, it doesn't hurt to ask for help. Everyone gets help in life at some point ... teachers helping students to learn ... parents helping children to learn how to ride a bike or helping with homework ... mentors at work helping the new guy learn a job ... So I don't have a problem with people asking for help. Keep trying but don't be afraid to ask for help in the spiritual area just like we all ask for help in other areas.

There's a healthy balance.

Anyways .. that's my thought ... for what it's worth.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by FlyersFan

It makes no sense to take lessons in humility from the symbol of pride and entitlement. I feel it makes more sense to learn how to help yourself, rather than constantly reinforcing the belief that you will never suffice on your own.

Sometimes that help is necessary.

If you were drowning, wouldn't you ask for help?

It is humility when recognizing that you do need help. It is pride thinking you never need help. After all, didn't your parents take you by your little hands to teach you how to walk, even though you were too young to understand you needed their help?

But not you, you came out of the womb fully capable of doing everything on your own. You didn't need training wheels, did you?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Sometimes that help is necessary.

If you were drowning, wouldn't you ask for help?

You're not reading my posts, or you would understand that's not an accurate analogy. If I were constantly finding myself in the position of drowning, I would learn to swim instead of exchanging a lifetime of servitude for a bunk on a fishing boat. Because I would rather be my own solution than enter an endless cycle of dependency and debt.

It is humility when recognizing that you do need help. It is pride thinking you never need help.

There is a difference between wanting help and depending on it. Those who learn to depend on help will forget their own two legs. And that is the result I am warning you about. Whether you choose to listen is, of course, your choice.

My opinion is that there is not a single problem originating from within our human hearts and human heads that those same things cannot solve.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

To whom do I owe repentance on account of my betrayal?
For in the eyes of two I have accomplished what is against them.
Although forgiveness is sublime, the remnants of sin hang heavy.

Is it that I had the will to do away with my foolishness, that offends you so much?

Or is it that in offending you I have forever maimed myself?

My eyes see not as clearly as before.
truly my sin is before me,
the cause of my great suffering.

Clear the way ahead of me, o Creator!
Allow me once again to come to be
in the light of your day.

For darkness does great harm
on the path strewn with obstacles.
My night vision I have forfeited,
to the enemy.

Restore me. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a great read, backcase.

It's a shame you will not see more beauty in the darkness, only enemies and obstacles.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

It is that i have seen beauty in the darkness that I am ashamed. My mind has been frenzied with false love. My conscience accuses me of adultry, for I am joined by spirit to my soulmate. To this woman I have met I feel infatuation and desire. As I contemplated what I would be leaving to have her; to me it is pain for fleeting love, for her that is romantic.

My greater part wants none but to pray for such a girl. My lower part wishes to remain at her side eternally.

I have made my choice, but having needed to do so makes my heart strings ache for my true beloved, who remains silent through all this.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

In the end, no one is capable of helping themselves... the only help one truly needs is salvation from eternal condemnation, and the only one capable and mighty enough to do that is the LORD Jesus Christ.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join