It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Things Philadelphians Love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Being a proud "Philadelphian" (actually from just outside but thats besides the point), I came across This earlier today and though I would share.

I know there are other proud Philly folks here, and for the rest of you, just a little insight into what it means to be 'Philadelphian.'

Just trying to show my ATS friends "That Brotherly Love."

My favorite? #18 Remembering Harry Kalas.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My family spent a day around the liberty bell area. Good times had by all. The art museum was nice also.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Tony Luke's is awesome.
They make a pork broccoli rabe provolone sandwich that is incredible!

I gotta eat now. . .

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

AnteBellum

Tony Luke's is awesome.
They make a pork broccoli rabe provolone sandwich that is incredible!

I gotta eat now. . .

Last time I flew out of the city, my last meal was Tony Luke's at the airport for breakfast.
Always a proper goodbye.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Never thought I would post this,but no matter how hard I ever tried to say this with my silly Canadian accent it never came out right. So,Lombozo
...in memory of you,I hope this makes you proud... *** Walks into Pat's and says... " Yeah I wanna cheese wit..."

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Wow looks awesome but now I am hungry.
Nice to see good things about a city being celebrated. I wonder if anyone could come up with one for Detroit?

Probably be a short list: the sports teams and leaving

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm glad to see Dinic's is finally getting some love.

Oh and by the way, anyone coming into town looking for a cheesesteak...the best one is not Pat's or Geno's. The best is Dalassandro's in Roxborough.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
#1- Cheese Steaks I've had most of them... But I am from Reading and I like a local cheese steak better than any Philly has offered me... V&S Sandwiches cheese steak is my favorite.

#22- The Mutter Museum has some really wild stuff there. I have to go back since I didn't see it all there first time.

#23- The Parking Authority.... Tickets??? That's nothing. They tow vehicles in the blink of an eye. I was in a 10 minute space for less than three minutes on Chestnut Street one time. I came out to see the work van going backwards down the street on a tow truck... cost 350 bucks to get it back, and the lady at the parking authority impound threatened to have me arrested when I asked why they towed it!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

youdidntseeme
Being a proud "Philadelphian" (actually from just outside but thats besides the point), I came across This earlier today and though I would share.

I know there are other proud Philly folks here, and for the rest of you, just a little insight into what it means to be 'Philadelphian.'

Just trying to show my ATS friends "That Brotherly Love."

My favorite? #18 Remembering Harry Kalas.

Even though there’s really not that much of a difference on paper, don’t ever call Fishtown “Kensington” or refer to Mayfair as “Tacony.”

Growing up in Kensington, we'd even argue on where the border for part of the city starts... a claim to our territory.

Honestly though, Penn's Landing on 4th of July is one of my favorite times in the city. If you haven't been to the Franklin Institute, it's always great the first few times till they remodel

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

All true except I've never heard of 'the roots'.

Oh ... and from your article ... VERY TRUE ...

Philadelphia boasts eight professional sports teams including the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and 76’ers and the fans are as proud as they come. But Philly sports fans get a pretty bad rap for being rowdy and unsportsmanlike. Good grief, people! Santa Claus got snowballs thrown at him in 1968. It’s time to find a new headline. Philadelphia sports fans are some of the most loyal and passionate in the country, consistently selling out games and rallying together, win or lose.

Our Flyers games ... we boooo everything and everyone .... yes, even Santa Claus.
Flyers Fans were voted the 'worst' fans in the NHL.
(which, by our measurement, means we are the best)

The Art Museum .. my favorite place to go in the city.
Reading Terminal Market ... where we go to pick up dinner after the Art Museum or the Zoo.

edit on 4/4/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Dont forget some of the stupidest liquor laws in the nation.
The state runs the racquet like the mob on booze and wine. Grocery stores cant sell a six pack for carry out, unless they have a restaurant that seats 30. Otherwise you have to spend $60 on a case of decent beer from a package store. No mixing!!! Prices are jacked. Im glad I live near Ceciltucky, MD when I need to purchase adult beverages.
edit on 4-4-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

FlyersFan

All true except I've never heard of 'the roots'.

The Roots are an awesome band from Philly that can be heard nightly playing for Jimmy Fallon. Been a fan of theirs for years. Saw them at the Vet opening for Dave Matthews and Santana years ago.

Our Flyers games ... we boooo everything and everyone .... yes, even Santa Claus.
Flyers Fans were voted the 'worst' fans in the NHL.
(which, by our measurement, means we are the best)

edit on 4/4/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

The FlyGuys better pick it up now soon, the season is winding down...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I live about 2 blocks from John's Roast Pork in South Philly which also means I live about 2 blocks from the infamous ECW arena if you are a Pro Wrestling fan.

It's literally this little white shack next to the railroad tracks and it's an experience worth doing if you want an amazing pork or cheese steak though . Personally I prefer their sandwiches over Tony Lukes(only 3 blocks away), Pat's, Steve's , Jim's or John's.

John's Roast Pork

From a cheese steak perspective I actually thing Carmen's in Reading Terminal Market is the winner.
edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3004ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3004ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
My celebrity and or wealthy friends would come and visit me in Philly from LA and NYC, usually for the recording studio or a show. They always would remark how laid-back and friendly Philly is. It's downright "happy" compared to some other areas. I could tell some whacky stories from the poorest to richest part of town, all have happy endings.

All that, plus UofP is in reality the #1 university in terms of actual research studies. I was born there and went to college there too! Maybe I'm biased.

edit on 5-4-2014 by DistantThunder because: (no reason given)

top topics

join