It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could someone please explain why ATS image posting is rather cumbersome?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I would think some must have highlighted this same issue in the past. I must have missed it. Is ATS trying to discourage members from uploading pictures? If so, why?
Members tend to skip posting important images alongside their posts just because there are too many steps to take to insert a simple pic. We do tend to keep seeing members struggling.

Clicking the "insert image" icon should directly allow one to select images on the local hard drive. The system ought to upload the selections, automatically compress/resize the image files if necessary and add the BBcodes into the post. It should be as simple as that, shouldn't it? Just an idea ...which is really not new.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Yes I was thinking the same thing myself and I would like to know why a member here today was allowed to call me every name under the sun without even getting a warning or is it because he has more points than me.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

I find it a rather simple procedure, working ideally as you suggest. Perhaps you could elaborate on where your difficulty lies?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I agree its really not that difficult. I have posted a couple pictures and admit I probably had to open the freshman forum in another tab and follow a couple simple instructions. I'm sure if I posted pics regularly I imagine I wouldnt need the instructions, but a few clicks or what not is hardly difficult.

Lots of good stuff there

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Agreed with other posters too, once you get the gist of things it is quite easy...

Unfortunately some members will not do a little research and find out exactly how to post images.

Here is a post that might simplify things for certain people : www.abovetopsecret.com...

And don't forget, we get to post images and videos for free so we can't grumble that much.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/4/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

It is not difficult, but cumbersome.

To test, try getting someone new. Ask him/her to post an image WITHOUT reading the "how to" post. Pay attention to how long it takes the individual to figure it out.
Btw, is there a size upload limit? There are many people wouldn't know or bother to find out how to reduce resolution size of images.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Kurius

To test, try getting someone new. Ask him/her to post an image WITHOUT reading the "how to" post. Pay attention to how long it takes the individual to figure it out.
Btw, is there a size upload limit? There are many people wouldn't know or bother to find out how to reduce resolution size of images.

Read through the post I have linked with my first answer.

To be quite honest Kurius, If a new member can't be bothered to read through the "How to post" section ESPECIALLY CREATED for new members and then experiences problems whilst trying to post pictures then that is his or her tough luck for not making an effort.

However, if that person is experiencing difficulties in understanding, then there is always someone here on this forum or on the Freshmans forum here : www.abovetopsecret.com... who can give good advice.

Size upload limits can be also found on both forums... just a little patience is needed to open and read.

Hope this helps?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Not grumbling here.

Just trying to understand why while composing a post and thinking about inserting a photo, one should open another new tab/window, click the obscure down arrow > upload (wait of the screen to appear) > click another upload > click select file > click the up arrow button (wait for the screen to refresh)> select the image > cut© the BBcode ...then return to the post window/tab > paste the code.

Wouldn't it be much simpler just to click the image icon in the post, select the pics in your local folder and have the BBCodes automatically inserted within the post you are writing? Again, this is only a suggestion....not a grumble.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

You click on "Select Files" to select your image(s) from your computer. You can upload a single image or multiple.

Next, you click the small "cloud" and UPLOAD the images to ATS.

Unfortunately, that's the part that doesn't work for some. Unless on a proper computer/laptop.
It didn't work on my iphone, and now I have a Samsung Note 3, and still nothing. I can click on "select files", and nothing happens.
It all works from a laptop, but it's not phone friendly. I think I've heard the same complaint from tablet users too.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Rodinus

Kurius

To be quite honest Kurius, If a new member can't be bothered to read through the "How to post" section ESPECIALLY CREATED for new members and then experiences problems whilst trying to post pictures then that is his or her tough luck for not making an effort.

However, if that person is experiencing difficulties in understanding, then there is always someone here on this forum or on the Freshmans forum here : www.abovetopsecret.com... who can give good advice.

Size upload limits can be also found on both forums... just a little patience is needed to open and read.

Hope this helps?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Personally, I have no problem with it. I am however, thinking of those who are not as quick to grasp the steps and don't post images that often to remember. We are not made the same.
But hey, if "If a new member can't be bothered to read through the "How to post" section ESPECIALLY CREATED for new members and then experiences problems whilst trying to post pictures then that is his or her tough luck for not making an effort." is the attitude, good luck too.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

tinner07
I agree its really not that difficult. I have posted a couple pictures and admit I probably had to open the freshman forum in another tab and follow a couple simple instructions. I'm sure if I posted pics regularly I imagine I wouldnt need the instructions, but a few clicks or what not is hardly difficult.

Well in just about every other forum they have a little images icon above the text area like here that you click but here a div opens at the top of the page and clicking it does nothing, no upload button, no insert Url button, nothing and I am not about to go searching all over the site for "simple instructions" of how to make it work.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Kurius
reply to post by Rodinus

Not grumbling here.

Just trying to understand why while composing a post and thinking about inserting a photo, one should open another new tab/window, click the obscure down arrow > upload (wait of the screen to appear) > click another upload > click select file > click the up arrow button (wait for the screen to refresh)> select the image > cut© the BBcode ...then return to the post window/tab > paste the code.

Wouldn't it be much simpler just to click the image icon in the post, select the pics in your local folder and have the BBCodes automatically inserted within the post you are writing? Again, this is only a suggestion....not a grumble.

I can see that it is not a grumble on your behalf Kurius and that you are concerned for others here.

This question had probably been adressed so many times here on ATS. I think that the reason for us having to do "a little work" so to speak to embed images is the fact that we do not have to pay to upload images here and that the site owner has found the easiest way of uploading pics without us having to fork out cash.

I personally think that new people should just take a little time to get used to the way things work here such as embedding links, videos and pics... and why not at the same time take a couple of minutes to read through the "HELP" forums.

As I said earlier on, If someone just can't be bothered to take time to do so then sadly it's tough for that person... (Shucks, they take time to visit the site and read so why not learn at the same time?).

When I post on ATS I always have 2 windows open (one that I am posting on and the otherone with the upload window)... It's all about personal organisation methinks?

It probably takes me 5 seconds to upload a pic to a post... what is 5 seconds?

Anyways, don't want to get into a fight, just putting across my oints of view.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Well in just about every other forum they have a little images icon above the text area like here that you click but here a div opens at the top of the page and clicking it does nothing, no upload button, no insert Url button, nothing and I am not about to go searching all over the site for "simple instructions" of how to make it work.
reply to post by VirusGuard

That is kinda the attitude from our instant gratification mentality. Why work so hard for something when somebody somewhere else doesn't have too.

I'm just learning to quote. Had to go to the dreaded freshman forum and read. It was hell. had to open a new tab and everything. I'm physically and mentally exhausted lol.

Sorry couldnt resist. I just don't think a few mouse clicks is a lot of work, neither is opening a new tab and reading.Just think if we had to get the pictures developed at photo mart and mail them

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Kurius

Rodinus

Kurius

Hope this helps?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Personally, I have no problem with it. I am however, thinking of those who are not as quick to grasp the steps and don't post images that often to remember. We are not made the same.
But hey, if "If a new member can't be bothered to read through the "How to post" section ESPECIALLY CREATED for new members and then experiences problems whilst trying to post pictures then that is his or her tough luck for not making an effort." is the attitude, good luck too.

I will stick to what I stated and you requoted... ( I personally say tough to those who expect everything to be handed on a plate straight away without making a little effort...) This is a free site don't forget...

I too was one of those who (and am still not) quick to grasp the steps... However I at least took a little time to go through different help forums and sometimes made mistakes and learned from them...

We all started of here somewhere and had to struggle... but never forget that there are many help forums here and tons of helpful people too.

Edited to add... AND as Bones says... make sure you have the right browser.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/4/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

It didn't work on my iphone, and now I have a Samsung Note 3, and still nothing. I can click on "select files", and nothing happens.

Make sure you're using a full-featured browser. I have the Note 3 as well and it works perfectly for me on Boat Browser and Dolphin Browser.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thanx - just downloaded Dolphin.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

tinner07

That is kinda the attitude from our instant gratification mentality.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, because I see both sides. But, I have to laugh at the instant gratification mentality, because I am totally guilty of it. I remember the early days of the internet - everyone had dial-up connection, and it would take about 5 minutes for anything to load up on my computer. I didn't even think about it back then, because that's just the way it was. Now, everything I click on just pulls up instantaneously, so whenever there is some hang-up and it takes more than 5 seconds for something to load, I get all frustrated, cursing and slamming my fists, saying "why is it taking sooooo long?!" Five seconds is too long!!

I just think it's funny how technology changes our expectations so much.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

When it comes to playing Flash videos, Dolphin is the best on Android right now.

edit on 4-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I would agree with you. No fight here.
Again, I am not complaining, but merely also trying to highlight and understand the reason(s) behind this more convoluted way of posting an image. It is rather unusual and curious especially for such a slick, well-designed site.

5 seconds maybe to you and I (maybe longer for me; I have slower connection), but sometimes we fail to realize there are older or folks who might take much longer...then others with slow bandwidth (there are still those too, you know?). In the end, they wouldn't bother posting images, if at all. Tough? Right.

Oh well, I tried.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

tinner07

reply to post by VirusGuard

That is kinda the attitude from our instant gratification mentality. Why work so hard for something when somebody somewhere else doesn't have too.

I'm just learning to quote. Had to go to the dreaded freshman forum and read. It was hell. had to open a new tab and everything. I'm physically and mentally exhausted lol.

Sorry couldnt resist. I just don't think a few mouse clicks is a lot of work, neither is opening a new tab and reading.Just think if we had to get the pictures developed at photo mart and mail them

I believe VirusGuard was only highlighting the difference and how ATS image icon was rather cryptic. To deduce it to an Instant gratification mentality was a bit harsh, don't you think? Travel more around the globe and try using internet at different locations and bandwidths. Volunteer at old folks homes too. It might help to understand humans and their limitations. Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join