It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem Rep Complains That Members Of Congress Are 'Underpaid'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So freaking quit, is my thought. That is what most people do.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

When he said. . .

“I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid. I understand that it’s widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.”

I choked back the vomit.

So we went from public servants to board of directors?

What's the politically correct way to say, "Shut the hell up, b!tch".

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by guohua

When he said. . .

“I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid. I understand that it’s widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.”

I choked back the vomit.

Maybe "Board of Directors" is apropos.

If that was how they ran things, Congress would get zero based on "profits" !!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Morons. Every single one of them.

No wonder we are circling the drain.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

beezzer

Its actually easy, we do it at the Ballot box, all it would take is voting the incumbents out.

Unfortunately most Americans can't see past their Sports... I mean political affiliation to muster the testicular fortitude TO tell them to shut the hell up, by voting them out.

ETA:

Alright people in VA 8th,

Jim Moran

Any of his constituents wana go tell Moran hes a Moron?
edit on 4-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have a question and it is one that we should all be asking: What exactly are you paid to do? Is it govern wisely, yes. Give 150% all of the time, yes. However, here is what the Rep tends to forget: For just one term in congress, the ex-congress person gets a pension, and medical, and all sorts of perks, that takes people 40 to 50 years just to start to get. Even the people in the military don't get that kind of perks. So how is it that they are underpaid, when they get a pay check, have most of their bills, such as travel expenses paid for, are paid to speak at events, have a better medical than the rest of the country, get a pension after 4 years of service. How exactly are they under paid? The saddest part is that both parties no longer speak for the people, either choosing to ignore one group or fully insulting the other.

So there you have it, one group who thinks that they should be paid more to do less, and pass bad policies that no one can afford, and on the other hand, we have a group that represents very few, and tends to insult if not ignore part of the people who live in their districts, or force a morality and belief on a country that is diverse.

Some how, I think that the people need to start pushing a third or forth party members into office, and start demanding the changing of the laws to make it easier to remove and strip reps like that of their position and the benefits that they get, along with making them pay back their pay to the country.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm sure he could get a second job at Walmart, MacDonalds or any of the minimum wage high street stores.

After all he's only working 113 days this year.

Congress Working Less Than 1/3 Of Year In 2014, Getting Full Salary

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by guohua

When he said. . .

I choked back the vomit.

Now, I did warn you that you'd have to clean your screen.

One poor congressman was told he couldn't Barbeque Ribs on the balcony anymore, Imagine That!

Actually some of their offices are not that small, you can have not only your deck and TV but a couch that pulls out into a bed and a refrigerator.

At 9 a.m. Friday, newly elected House members will crowd into a committee room in the Rayburn House Office Building and draw numbered metal disks out of a box. The number determines their draft order: Those who get good numbers often celebrate aloud.

Those who don't get good numbers know where they're going - the small, lonely offices near Jordan's on the top floor of the Cannon Building. These grim spaces just lost one of their few perks this year when officials advised Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.) that he couldn't barbeque ribs on the balcony.

"Fifth floor of Cannon, here I come," the lottery's losers often say.

Think about it, do your four years and your set for life, pension and healthcare.

Next, it's time for one of the touchier parts of this process: interior design.

Now this is good, read this part closely,,,,

In the House, members can paint their private office - the inner sanctum within their suite - any color they want, as long as they buy the paint. But, in the rest of their suite, they have very limited and very bland options.

"Two buffs. A yellow. A blue-ish. And two grays," said Stephen T. Ayers, the current architect of the Capitol, laying out the paint swatches on a table. The choices are limited for reasons of efficiency, the argument goes. Without the restriction, the Capitol might end up stocking 14 different shades of fuchsia at taxpayer expense (Ayers wouldn't say how much this whole process of moving and painting offices costs).

This, House employees say, is where some new members are surprised by their lack of choice.

"Well, how do I work around that?" one remembered a past freshman legislator saying. The reply is polite but firm: You can't work around that. "The rules of the House," officials intone.

House employees recalled that some daring legislators have still disobeyed: In one notorious suite, every room was done in a different neon color. "You didn't need to turn on the lights," the paint was so bright, another employee recalled.

Yes, People, someone actually Elected these Worthless Air-Breathers!

"I want the first floor near the door to the Capitol," said Frederica Wilson, a newly elected Democrat from Florida known for her eye-catching hats. As for paint colors: "I want an African theme," Wilson said.

Billy Long, a newly elected Republican from Missouri, had a common response: It really doesn't matter that much. "They can give me a broom closet," Long said. "And I'll make it work."

The rest are assigned by seniority: When somebody loses, dies or retires, his or her suite is offered to the most senior members first.

So it was that this year, the prized 1,800-square-foot suite of Rep. David Obey (D-Wis.) - leaving after 21 terms in office - was claimed by Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska), who has been in Congress for 19 terms. Young actually needs more space: Among his worldly possessions, a grizzly bear rug and a totem pole in his current office.

The one he's leaving is itself coveted. Young's old office - the swanky Rayburn 2111 - was then put on the block for a slightly less senior member to claim, and so on. For incumbents, the process works like the NFL draft: Officials put 20 minutes on the clock for lawmakers to decide

The lousiest hideaways are in the Capitol's basement - windowless lairs with just enough room for a desk, a couch and a fridge. But any private haven is still desired: In a Congress increasingly stripped of both coziness and sanctuary, the hideaways are a surviving symbol of both.

Link

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
yeah, i think we will all weep over your low pay when you guys don't get payed years after you leave congress and get tax payed health care no one else gets for just running for one term.

shut up moran you entitled idiot, congress shouldn't get jack after they leave office.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I am going to be a generous boss and approve a 0.5% raise. But I expect an increase of productivity for this raise. They can start by cleaning their own toilets, taking out the trash and sweeping and mopping in the Capitol as well as doing some outside work like painting and mowing the grass. Between the House and the Senate there are 535 workers to take on the workload so it should be no problem. Some will say that this arrangement will be taking away jobs but I see it as finally getting a couple days honest work out of these prima donnas a year for a change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join