It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcyclists - Don't get shot during a traffic stop - Please read.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
We have all seen the recent headlines regarding the number of Citizens being gunned down by LEO's for "making the wrong move". I have been quite upset about it as of late so when I got this email I about flipped out.

One of my former and favorite riding buddies is a CHP officer. We have spent many an hour dragging our foot pegs on some of the best roads of Southern California, often quite quickly....

He sent me an email with a warning. Apparently motorcycle helmets are now considered "Deadly Weapons". So when getting pulled over for a traffic stop he said to NEVER remove your helmet unless asked to do so!

It used to be standard for those of us that paly motorcycle to remove the helmet as soon as we get stopped. We did this to make the officer more comfortable as he could now see our faces. Seems this simple logic is now out the window.

Now I am done with my little Public Service announcement so take it as you will. Be careful folks the cops have gone nutty....

edit on 3-4-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

edit on 3-4-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Since the stopping officer is in charge of the situation, the best advice would be to do nothing until given instructions. Who knows what different departments may instruct their people to require at a stop.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Guess I should have added that the reason for the email is that is now a STATEWIDE attitude. Not just San Diego. Officers are being told "Helmets are a deadly Weapon" and to react as appropriate.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Thanks for that!!

I'll definitely keep your PSA in mind.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

LEO and Bikers seem to be getting along just fine

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I can believe this story.

If you ride in a helmet state I would treat it like the seatbelt, I would leave them on unless told otherwise.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Well, maybe the state was forward thinking when it required the wearing of these deadly weapons.

I wonder if seat belts are also deadly weapons, makes sense to me.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

You don't have to believe it and I could honestly care less if you do. However, just ask yourself this one question. What would I have to gain from making this up? I am not even a helmet law fan........ I want stupid people to ride without one, preferably before they breed....

Kinda sucks though that relating what a LEO friend tells me gets the "I don't believe it" from at least one ATS'er. No worries though as I doubt you even ride....... Oh and if you do ride in California, try it out and let me know how it goes for ya.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by Mamatus

Well, maybe the state was forward thinking when it required the wearing of these deadly weapons.

Now that was funny! Careful though subtle humor here is often missed.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Mamatus

greencmp
reply to post by Mamatus

Now that was funny! Careful though subtle humor here is often missed.

"The suspected motorist proceeded to unbuckle his seat belt, I felt threatened, you know, I thought he was going to strangle me, so I fired."

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I never said helmets or seat belts were a deadly weapon, I said I do not believe this story to be true.

What I did say was that if the law says you have to wear a helmet then you keep it on like you would a seatbelt.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by greencmp

I never said helmets or seat belts were a deadly weapon, I said I do not believe this story to be true.

What I did say was that if the law says you have to wear a helmet then you keep it on like you would a seatbelt.

No worries, I wasn't responding to your comment, just being generally and universally sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I would think someone who had sinister intentions could easily head butt the officer with his helmet and take off. I would consider that a weapon. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

It's hard to believe any story without proof, you said he sent you an email with a warning, did it come from the police department? If so can you share it with us?

I also rode for 15 years everywhere west of the Mississippi including California (once) crazy drivers and lane splitters are not my cup of tea. My last bike was a triumph rocket iii touring.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Motorbike helmets.

Yeah, you could easily choke on them.

And I bet they'd clog your arteries too!

edit on 3/4/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

That was funny as hell, hope its real. You see the officer on the other side of the car start laughing

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Thank you for the warning. I think this is very likely their next step up in terrorizing citizens.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

careful folks the cops have gone nutty....

How does a group of individuals go " nutty " in
seemingly the same instance, collectively and
over such dispersed distances? Is the most
pertinent question in my mind. Perhaps a good
question for your partner Mamatus? I also don't understand
this closed line of communication between the police
and the law abiding citizen. It's as if their all brainwashed
into believing there are no law abiding citizens. And if that's
the case? Then the police, are truly everyones enemy.
And that is not to say all police are everyones enemy.

But I do see that relationships like the one you have
with your partner, being the better of the lot. As a
means to bring some understanding, to the law
abiding, in regard to such concerns. Cause I just don't
see it happening. Anywhere ! NOT EVEN HERE!

Now, seeing that a helmut has been deemed a deadly
weapon. How does it matter if you take it off? I can
make a real arguement that a head butt is a lot more
deadly than a telegraphed swing.

So the bottomline message the police should discern
from this line of thinking, if thinking is a part of their
job? Is that all those who obey the motorcycle helmut
laws of those states that have such laws? should be shot
if they get pulled over. Because of the law that forces them
to carry deadly weapons for their own protection.

In other words

WTF?
edit on Rpm40414v23201400000028 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Whats the old saying about birds of a feather? There has been a very disturbing trend amongst LEO's to treat civillinas as the enemy. Somehow they have convinced themselves they have the most dangerous job around (not even on the top ten list BTW) and with all the military coming out and joining the PD's there has been a shift in mindset.

My buddy that is an CHP officer is truly one of the good guys. He only writes two kinds of tickets. Stupid and asshole. He says he does not have to hassle most folks because at any moment there is usually a stupid asshole nearby that deserves one.....
He also spends more than his fair share of time on Caltrans watch duty as he does not write enough tickets to get a gunho recap most of the time.

As for the one that does not believe the story? Oh well, it's ATS I expect nothing less.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

In my own travels around the different western states, I have seen both relaxed, old style LEO's, as well as the guys who treat everything and everyone as a deadly threat. Age seems to make no difference. Attitude, ego, does. We treat them all as we wish to be treated- with the respect their job calls for. Doing such, we have never had a confrontation with an officer, and the rare times we have been pulled over, we usually don't end up with anything more than a verbal warning for whatever infraction they feel we were committing. We don't argue, we don't volunteer any more information than necessary, and we are polite. That is usually all it takes. There are always a few "bad apples" in any grouping of people. Police officers aren't immune. This is just my own 2 cents. I think that every grouping is subject to corruption, and until high speed internet came along, news didn't travel quite so fast, nor was there the wealth of information available to us, as there is right now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join