It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft Carrier Status Update

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Short n sweet bg_socalif and schuyler thanks for your answers and thanks for being kind with me for asking a simple question

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Great thread. I'm following the Ford with some interest with its EMALS system. I wonder if we will see a rail gun before we see directed energy weapons

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

There's already a laser mounted on a ship for testing in real life situations. I think they're not too far off for a CIWS style role.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There's already a laser mounted on a ship for testing in real life situations. I think they're not too far off for a CIWS style role.

Yeah Ive been keeping tabs, but they haven't scaled it up that quickly so Im wondering if they are having problems with increasing the output. Both systems would be an awesum sight and the Zumwalts seem tailor made for that thing

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Range is an issue with any laser. To get any kind of real range, you need a big laser, which would probably be hard to fit even on a ship. There's a new field of optics that will probably come into the world in the next few years that may change that though.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Not to change the subject but has anyone seen the future proposed or Chinese concept carrier?

China 's new carrier could be twice as fast as anything we have, plus the stability of a catamaran type hull will greatly reduce the pitching, yawing and swaying common to our present designs.

A catamaran hull running two flight decks with the bridge and weapons located between the cats... I do not think they are actually building it but it really is a super cool design.
OK three times I tried to link pics of the concept carrier to no avail... Easy to find pics with you search engine I give up... I do think it a neat concept...
edit on 7-5-2014 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

China is building a catapult equipped carrier that they just started. There's a shot of one of the forward hull sections and you can see a track for the cat on it. It looks like a monohull though. I've seen quite a few catamaran hull ideas for carriers over the years, but they never get built.

New Chinese carrier

Look on the right side of the section, and you can see the cat track.
edit on 5/7/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I agree but when you look at the design it really does make sense IMO... One of the things I was told about the concept was that:

“This is quantum leap above anything we have on the drawing board. They have thought "outside the box" on this one. Better speed, larger capacity, much more stable, etc. Definitely a "blue-water" long reach vessel. Plus they can service their nuke sub fleet in-between the twin hulls ( sight unseen ) or even launch amphibious opps from same. It will be launched in half the time it takes the USA at just one-third the cost. Add the new Chinese stealth fighter bomber (naval version already flight-testing) in the mix and you have the makings of a formidable weapons system indeed. Also look at that extra ''parking and readiness'' station between both hull structures. And of course the launching and landing capabilities from the utilization of twin flight decks at once.

Just defense propaganda; probably... ? But I do like the looks of their carrier concept....

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The US has thought about it a few times. From what I've heard though, the HSV, which uses a catamaran style hull had a really rough ride in high seas. It's fast, especially for a vessel that size, but it beat the hell out of the crew in shallow waters, and rough seas.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yeah I think the closest we come to a multi hulled CV is one of the Piecrete concepts floated by the Brits the WWII.

Im not sure what advantage a multihulled CV would get you???? The biggest SWATH hulled ship is the en.wikipedia.org... and its 11000 tons. We are talking about 60-70k in terms of tonage and there is a tradeoff in terms of size/powerplants in SWATH hulled ships www.analysis.williamdoneil.com...

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Speed and flexibility. Catamaran/Trimaran hulls can be FAST. The HSV-2 had a top speed of 42 knots, and was envisioned to carry modular mission platforms, weighing up to 500 tons (including straight cargo).

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Yeah BUT the powerplant tradeoff may be some thing the PLAN cannot handle. Or the USN has decided is not worth it. I mean if you could get a SWATH hulled CVN to 45-50 knots you could increase the MTOW of its airframes ( or launch in zero wind wind) I cant see the USN backing off building one for CV-X

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I think the US backed away from them because they don't handle seas the way a monohull does. A monohull beats its way through the seas, where a multihull beats the hell out of them (and the crew). But yeah, I can see the PLAN having powerplant issues with a multihull design.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join