It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[SUGGESTION] One-on-One debates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
two members, opposing views, great topics.....

i've always thought it sucked when a really good debate is going, and it gets ruined or derailed with red herrings, off-topic banter, and other assorted nonsense..

wouldn't it be great if we could just have proper debates between two opponents, or maybe even special debate events with three-on three....it could be a regular feature, like the AMA threads....

the format would be simple...you have your debaters, you have a moderator to watch over, and referee the event(moderator would NEED to be completely impartial, and be able to maintain their neutrality), and it lasts for a set amount of time (a number of days), the participants start with prepared opening remarks, and then the debate begins. other members could watch, and star participant's remarks, but would not be allowed to participate themselves...then when the time is up, the moderator declares a winner, based on amount of stars received, and the strength of the individual arguments.

members could submit requests for debate topics, and opponents (could be members, staff, or even former AMA guests) to a designated staff member, who could bring it to the other staff for decision, and then another designated staff member could be responsible for setting it up (contacting the perspective participants, arranging schedule, etc), then debate is announced, and it goes from there...

i think this could be an excellent feature, and could be very insightful, and entertaining...

what say you?
edit on 3-4-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

You mean like these?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

what say you?

That the next debate should cover the Topic of searching the site before making threads.

You should probably be a participant...

ETA: I just looked at your sign-up date...really?

edit on 3-4-2014 by facelift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

In the grand scheme, the ill mannered and belittling response is a greater offense than the redundant question.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

yeahright

In the grand scheme, the ill mannered and belittling response is a greater offense than the redundant question.

You know...you're right yeahright.

I'm gonna change my ways today...

Thanks Chief.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Nor is sarcasm!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

yeahright

You mean like these?

never gonna live this one down...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

luciddream

Nor is sarcasm!

Between the two of you, this personal change will happen quicker than EOB today.

Thanks for the support lucid...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

If this is your big public error, you're about 9 miles ahead of me. It's a busy site, no one can know everything.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
And since question has been asked and addressed - closed.

new topics

top topics

join