It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Russia be Banned From World Cup in Brazil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
silly US senators were asking for Russia to be banned from World Cup in Brazil.

apparently they are also asking for FIFA to bear Russia from hosting World Cup tournament in 2018...

what do you think?
should Russia be banned from the world cup?

Football’s world governing body FIFA, has refused to kick Russia out of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, after two American senators said the country should be barred due to its actions in Ukraine.

FIFA Rejects Senators’ Call to Ban Russia From World Cup
edit on 3-4-2014 by demus because: (no reason given)

(Reuters) - A U.S. senator said on Wednesday that world soccer's governing body FIFA was wrong when it refused to kick Russia out of this year's World Cup and bar it from hosting the tournament in 2018

U.S. lawmaker wants Russia World Cup red card despite FIFA snub

FIFA Refuses to ban Russia from World Cup 2014 Read more: voiceofrussia.com...
edit on 3-4-2014 by demus because: aligning astrological timing

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I would agree with this if and only if the US was banned by FIFA for Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, etc... Sauce for the goose, and all that.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
If it wasn't for the fact that the world knows how stunned the US politicians can be ,this might come as a surprise .Brasil is part of the BRICS and so is Russia .If the US wants to take their ball and go home ,have at it ...silly is putting it mildly .

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

“This argument is not supported by facts. Yugoslavia was banned from international competition in 1992 and 1994 because of its illegal behavior during the Balkan wars. This suspension had no connection to the playing field,” Mr. Coats said.

From OP Source.

This statement would be neat, and relevant, if it was true.

FIFA didn't ban Yugoslavia, the host countries, under UN SCR 757, did.

So, if they could convince Brazil to ban Russia...they may get somewhere.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It's turning in to a middle school bullying, we don't like you, now we will ignore you and make sure your people will not have any fun at all.

Seriously, this world is to effing wierd, no wonder our kids are behaving like idiots when all the grown up are teaching them how to do it.
edit on 3-4-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Ha ha ha that's the best laugh I jave had so far.

It's lucky for the US that everyone else hasn't stopped importing and exporting to them. The way their government and leaders are going I wouldn't be surprised if they are left isolated completely.

I say this because I think the rest of the world is starting to realise that the one pointing the finger at everyone else is rhe one that's causing, orchestrating all the crap.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Mianeye
It's turning in to a middle school bullying, we don't like you now we will ignore you and make sure your people will not have any fun at all.

Seriously, this world is to effing wierd, no wonder our kids are behaving like idiots when all the grown up are teaching them how to do it.

yeah, only I would like to add that kids often make more sense and behave more reasonable than many politicians or grown ups in general.
it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I consider myself a patriot because I know that America was once great and has the ability to be so again - conversely, I am ashamed of being an American citizen solely because of our government. There is no government more selfish, gluttonous, crooked, or confused than mine. Something's gotta give.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
World sport has nothing to do with world politics so too me if this story is true the USA are just looking for any excuse to get a reaction from the Russians. Very childish to me and considering Soccer is one sport that does bring every country together and that includes the Nth Koreans also.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

good point.

but it seems that USA is trying to hard to isolate Russia without any real success.

in the end; they are just making fools of themselves.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by demus

Generally, as a soccer fan, I would prefer Russia not getting the World Cup, not even because of the Ukraine crisis but the general culture. There is still too much racism, too much nationalism, too much hate towards outsiders. I have been to the competitions there, as well as watching UCL football there. It is quite tough for foreigners, as for whatever reason, often instead of cheering for their team, the local fans start mocking the opponents. Not everybody does it of course, but generally the environment is significantly more hostile than in other nations.

As a culture, I do believe Russia would not be ready for such a big tournament.

When it comes to Ukrainian crisis, depending on what solution will be found eventually. Of course, taking away the World Cup would be a very strong blow to the country, as well as the economy.

Also it has to be considered Russia has used the big competitions twice to do something in the background. The Georgian war was just during the Beijing Olympics and the whole Ukrainian thing during the Sotchi. During the big sports comptitions, there is generally much less attention from people on different political activities.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

cosmikDebris
I consider myself a patriot because I know that America was once great and has the ability to be so again - conversely, I am ashamed of being an American citizen solely because of our government. There is no government more selfish, gluttonous, crooked, or confused than mine. Something's gotta give.

Wish I could give you a hundred starts for that post.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I know what you're trying to say but it's not only Russian football fans that focus on mocking and hostility against an opponent instead of cheering for their team, actually, much of Europe is the same in it's core.
only exception being the countries who ban blacklisted individuals to show up on the games.

I would say World Cup 2018 is a perfect opportunity for Russia to show some decency, culture and willingness to change, do not judge them before time.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by demus

We really do have idiots running our country.

Who do our leaders think they are trying to tell a non-political body what to do?

Once our leaders get their personal acts together and quit acting like overly spoiled children then maybe, maybe, they might slowly get some credibility back for our country. But as long as our leaders pout, always blame others, openly lie, spend my money and your money like we'll work as slaves for them forever and the money won't run out, claim false victories etc; the US will continue to be the clowns of the world. As the clowns of the world the world thinks we can't be taken seriously and just laugh when we pout and ask for stupid things like this.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

at first I saw this news I was thinking: "no big deal" but actually, if you consider the implications of the proposed ban it holds more weight than we know.
it shows how desperate is USA to somehow "punish" Russia for what is clearly Russian victory in Ukraine.
it can also be sign that USA really don't have/will not use any military option against Russia even if situation in Ukraine escalate so they are just pushing empty rhetoric and sanctions, fear mongering to somehow leave the impression of "powerful but just" policeman of the world.

Russia and Putin couldn't care less for their empty words.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

demus
reply to post by DarknStormy

good point.

but it seems that USA is trying to hard to isolate Russia without any real success.

in the end; they are just making fools of themselves.

Look at the size of Russia, isolating that country is never going to happen. And I agree with you, the USA are seriously making themselves look like morons. Especially using sport to harden their stance against Russia, what a joke. If the world used the tactic over last century, the USA wouldn't have been in any world sport event for 40 years. If I was Russia, I would be telling those politicians that their country isn't welcome in 2018.
edit on 3-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I would LOVE to see the US permanently banned from playing soccer. It ends up taking time from sports for which people actually care.

edit on 2014/4/3 by Metallicus because: Clarity

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by demus

Should Russia be Banned From World Cup in Brazil?

That's All I Have To Say About That

edit on 4/3/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Why are these Senators using their office to promote their views as to who should and shouldn't be in the world cup? The people of Illinois and Indiana should call their reps and tell to start doing their jobs and I'm sure that doesn't involve sporting events that take place outside of America.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

you never know, maybe their voters are just the kind of people who would support that kind of actions.
after all, they're Republicans...
(joke)
edit on 3-4-2014 by demus because: outcasting cloaked misfits

top topics

<<   2 >>

join