It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing first meteorite ever captured on video in air by lucky winged skydiver confirmed and charact

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

F4guy
The guy who made the video has now 'fessed up. It was a rock packed upinside the parachute. See, norskmeteornettverk.no...

Thanks for the update, so it was only a pebble and they finally figured out the trajectory. Congrats to the ATS folks who suspected this all along, looks like you were right!

As i said had it happen to me several times the first time freaks you out. But it was quite common in military chutes because you pack them on the ground after the jump. And at Benning the whole place is gravel so it happens alot you get a chute with a rock packed in. People think this is uncommon but depending on where the chute is packed can be quite common. Most people dont realize the room you need to pack a chute this isnt done indoors.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm glad my suspicions were right.
I'd be pretty mighty ticked off now though if I had spent ages working on the maths, freeze frames, writing stories etc. Let's face it, people are just jerky jerk-offs all jerking about trying to jerk yer leg (talking about hoaxers, not those who believed him). Also, boo to the 'scientist' who concluded what it was (incorrectly) with no actual evidence, he's in the wrong line of work.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

dragonridr

Arbitrageur

F4guy
The guy who made the video has now 'fessed up. It was a rock packed upinside the parachute. See, norskmeteornettverk.no...

Thanks for the update, so it was only a pebble and they finally figured out the trajectory. Congrats to the ATS folks who suspected this all along, looks like you were right!

As i said had it happen to me several times the first time freaks you out. But it was quite common in military chutes because you pack them on the ground after the jump. And at Benning the whole place is gravel so it happens alot you get a chute with a rock packed in. People think this is uncommon but depending on where the chute is packed can be quite common. Most people dont realize the room you need to pack a chute this isnt done indoors.

I changed my conclusion, it is most likely a pebble. The other night I witnessed a meteorite falling very slowly, and it was still bright yellow. Freaked me out quite a bit. But was far far away and still very large, and glowing, even at terminal velocity, it still glowed yellow, but left no trail. This looks more like a smallllll rock to me, and when his chute opened, it popped up and out, and as he slowed, the pebble fell by him.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

The skydiver fessed up as reported on the page before this one. It was indeed a rock packed into his chute. What a jerk, I just feel bad for those who spent ages with maths and photoshop doing calculations to keep this goofball entertained.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Science!

Speaking of those who spent ages with maths and Photoshop doing calculations, I just saw this today, and it's just loaded with geek fodder for those of us who are susceptible...

Forensic Ballistics: How Apollo 12 Helped Solve the Skydiver Meteorite Mystery

The news went viral a couple of weeks ago. A team in Norway announced that a skydiver was almost struck by a meteorite in flight over the ØstreÆra airstrip near Rena, Norway. Their evidence was this video. The rock passes by at about 0:15:

(video and photo)

The article goes on to apply a rather intriguing chain of analyses based on research studying blast patterns from the Apollo 12 lunar lander and how the forensic data from that could be applied to questions such as the "skydiver meteorite".

Spoiler alert: Looks like a pebble released from the chute.

Granted, we knew that already, but now we have... Science!

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
reply to post by lifestudent

Very interesting. I'm just wondering why the "rock" doesn't appear to be hot. IDK, they seem truly sincere, but I can't but wonder if this could be a hoax, a rock dropped from the plane?

Depending on size, angle of approach and initial speed, some meteorites can be quite cool when they've come through as much atmosphere as that one would had to have, were it a meteorite.

Not all meteorites are blazing hot rocks with tails during their entire fall. Just the ones we tend think about.

edit on 24-4-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join