It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing first meteorite ever captured on video in air by lucky winged skydiver confirmed and charact

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
That rock seems to be about 15inches in width..
If that were true, I seriously doubt somebody had a rock that size in their chute.
That would add extra 50 lbs also

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Lil Drummerboy
That rock seems to be about 15inches in width..
If that were true, I seriously doubt somebody had a rock that size in their chute.
That would add extra 50 lbs also
In another story a geologist guesses 11 pounds:

www.grindtv.com...

Just comparing your guess to the geologist's guess shows such a wide disparity that proves we don't know how big it really was. A 1 pound rock closer to the camera could look as large.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Unbelievable they have achieved to record this

Lucky he didn't get this thing on his head

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
There is also a strange White object in this footage....

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by Box of Rain

Ok, I'll take your stance. . . it is true!
They captured a meteorite falling from the sky.

Now what?

Just confirms the story, his luck, and makes it so much cooler! How many people on this planet have sky dived into the path of a meteorite? I think this is true, objects fall at a much slower speed when they hit the atmosphere from space, and this video is one of a kind! No one is going to drop a rock over his head, sky diving is dangerous, why drop a huge rock over his head, and how can it be timed that perfect? I just want to know if he saw it in person or only on playback.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

See folks this is why I play lottery for a very small sum

because the CRAZY does happen, unlikely yes, but it happens

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Looked like a hawk to me. Sounded like one too.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
5 frames of meteorite at 25fps so if it was going at 250 Km/h
then every frame would be
(250000(m/s)/3600(m))/25(fps) is 2.7 meters apart.
The last two frames seem closer to each other than the first
two frames even the angle being looking upward. So it must
be going overhead. You can't see much of a size change
when it falls.
Conclusion:
The rock is actually quite far away coming kind of overhead.
In the last two frames the rock is far away in front of the
diver.
If you look for a 5 cm piece of rock, I would rather be looking
for a 20cm to 100cm size meteorite. it may have had
still some impulse from the entry into the atmosphere and
going much faster than thought
If it would have been 5 cm, then it would be going about
0.30*36 = 27km/u
So this rock is really bigger than 20 cm.

edit on 5-4-2014 by puntito because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2014 by puntito because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
That's soooo cool! thanks for sharing, now I want to see what a dinosaur killing boloid looks like in the sky, I heard it can be 5 or 10 times brighter than sun and it would take like 5 seconds from the entering point for the asteroid to hit the ground and sends us all to hell ^^

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

lifestudentpara

With the chute just deployed, I'd guess the skydiver would be dropping somewhere around 25-50 mph,

The descent rate of a skydiver with a fully deployed ram air chute is about 3 meters/second. Or 6mph. Forward speed can be much higher.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I’m not convinced this was a meteorite due to the fact it appears just as the parachute is deploying which is a suspicious fact in of itself.

These type of chutes are constructed as a series of cells basically fabric tunnels stitched together and things do get lost inside them during re-packing and repairing I’ve read about things such as scissors, dead rodents, shoes, cell phones and not surprisingly rocks too.

No aircraft has ever been reported to have been hit by a meteorite not once in 100 years of flight not one of the millions of aircraft that have flown and not once in the trillions of flight hours flown.

If you get out your occam's razor and remove some of the fuzz in this story you will conclude it wasn’t really a close shave just the story of a terrestrial rock and its unusual adventure.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
That is amazing, and since we are seeing cameras on nearly everything these days I am sure we will be seeing more like this.
I think a lot of people have explained to the skeptics why it appears to be moving slower than expected, 'terminal velocity' is about 200 MPH and it may have also been part of a larger meteor that blew up and this is one of the pieces. When my brother and I were kids here in Arizona we saw a meteor streak down and blew up like a fireworks rocket separating into about a dozen smaller pieces that quickly went dark. chances are these made it to the ground.
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Here is more clear picture of the object.

Photo credit: Anders Helstrup / Dark Flight, montage, Hans Erik Foss Amundsen

The source: www.iflscience.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

I want to point out that the relative speed between the meteorite and the skydiver is what is important when determining the force of impact if it hit him - though that rock was still going pretty fast relative to the diver.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

That's soooo cool! thanks for sharing, now I want to see what a dinosaur killing boloid looks like in the sky, I heard it can be 5 or 10 times brighter than sun and it would take like 5 seconds from the entering point for the asteroid to hit the ground and sends us all to hell

Let's hope that we never get the chance to witness that.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So I guess that means that any old rock lying on the ground could be from space, possibly traveled across whole galaxies to get here.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Asynchrony
So I guess that means that any old rock lying on the ground could be from space, possibly traveled across whole galaxies to get here.

Well, everything on Earth came from space (i.e., came from the cloud that formed our solar system)...
...but I don't think that's what you meant.

Meteorites are different that regular rocks, and will have different characteristics than regular rocks:
Meteorite Identification

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The guy who made the video has now 'fessed up. It was a rock packed upinside the parachute. See, norskmeteornettverk.no...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Phil Plait at slate.com also concludes that it's just a rock accidentally wrapped in the parachute. www.slate.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

F4guy
The guy who made the video has now 'fessed up. It was a rock packed upinside the parachute. See, norskmeteornettverk.no...

Thanks for the update, so it was only a pebble and they finally figured out the trajectory. Congrats to the ATS folks who suspected this all along, looks like you were right!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join