It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing first meteorite ever captured on video in air by lucky winged skydiver confirmed and charact

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Wow if someone was hit by something like that they would have a very bad day. At least it would be the last bad day they had.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Totally agree with the other person who says packed in chute.
It is certainly not inconceivable that when the chute was being packed, perhaps a light wind was annoying them, plonk down a rock to keep it down, folded over and into the chute and then came out when the chute opened. Skydiver slows, rock has his life flash before it's eyes because rocks don't have chutes.

I mean, it could be a meteor, but I'm thinking far more likely to be an accidentally packed rock. I'm fun at parties, honest.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Also, if you'll notice the land is quite 'lush.' That's an obvious sign of fertile soil and a more or less wet area (meaning it isn't a rocky desert.) A 5kg rock traveling at 300kph (which is about 80 meters per second) would easily embed itself in the ground by several feet, if not more. That is one reason meteorites are so hard to find: They don't just land, they go IN.

This looks 100% legitimate. I hope they find it, but I doubt they ever will without digging up that whole forest.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
the video is pretty unremarkable, but my god do those people have some beautiful eyes.

I mean stunning, dazzling pretty eyes, holy crap.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Wow if someone was hit by something like that they would have a very bad day. At least it would be the last bad day they had.

Reminded me of this song:

"I'm a dirt torpeeedooooooooooo...."
edit on 4-4-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Where is the conclusive evidence that this is a meteorite?

Thinking in terms of terminal velocity, Mass might be a bit in favor of the person, gravity is not changing, density of the air is not changing, the projection is not determinable, and the rock will likely have less drag than a guy in a jump suit with a parachute, but he has control over the situation. All things considered, this could definitely have been faked IMO. Its just as fair to assume it is a meteor as that it is not. I personally would be much more convinced that someone on the plane tried to knock his lying a-- out, mid-jump, with a softball sized rock. Or... Sometimes things get sucked up into the sky through tornadoes or waterspouts. If it can rain fish, it can rain rocks.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

charlyv
That meteorite (getting that name when it actually reaches the ground) is a frag from a much bigger chondritic bolide that detonated very high up in the atmosphere, typically 20 to 40 miles up. You can see the ablated sides and also the lighter interior exposed where it fragmented out of the original mass. The lighter exposed material means that there was likely no secondary ablation, meaning that it detonated in a lower altitude than normal and the frags decelerated rapidly . This also means there are more than one, and he was actually parachuting through part of a strewn field of falling fragments.

This is all the info a real meteorite hunter needs to know, and there should be a number of them combing the ground with detectors. I would not be surprised if someone does not indeed recover a few, since the area they fell in is so well documented.

A really cool event, indeed.

I don't have any problem with the footage and I think its legitimate - and I would be out there with my metal detector trying to find this piece of rock.

Though, Im thinking it could have dug into the earth surface and might not be lying on the ground to be seen easily - though if it had landed in the forest area it might have sliced some branches on the way down and be nestled in some undergrowth.
Im glad it didnt hit anyone

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I was unclear. I meant the rock zipped by him at roughly the same speed as the other falling skydiver

The rock flashed past him MUCH quicker than the skydiver.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
m thinking a rock packed in the chute happened to me at benning. If you pack your chute on gravel guarantee youll see a rock every now and then had one hit me.See we have nothing to compare size to so if it was a pebble passing close to the camera it would look just like that. Other big clue he saw it when his chute deployed.
edit on 4/4/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
very cool, but dont you think that meteorite was traveling a bit slow?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

ototheb85
very cool, but dont you think that meteorite was traveling a bit slow?

The atmosphere does a bang up job of slowing down most small meteors. They certainly aren't flying at speeds they would be in the vacuum of space by the time they get to the altitude a sky diver would be pulling his or her chute at. It was certainly hauling ass compared to the guy who flew right by it in free fall.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This is a youtube channel with divers name in the about tab www.youtube.com...
Look at his videos uploaded....copy the two that show close up animation of meteorite rotation...this looks like hoax for viral marketing perhaps and he forgot to delete cgi stuff from his youtube channel, or itwas just something used in the analyse of his original raw clip.
edit on 4-4-2014 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

Great find OP

This is amazing if not hoax...I guess tests will be done to determine the nature of the "rock" (I only watched the video, Will read the article a little later

One thing I noticed in the video is the 2nd skydiver, He could have thrown it right before passing in from of the camera guy...you can alsoo see the plane, I assume the one they jumped from....maybe it fell frm there...IDK

Still amazing to see nonetheless, I do believe it could very well be real though its just that so many hoaxes are being posted on the web that its hard to beleive everyting first glance.

S+F

Teye

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Box of Rain

Ok, I'll take your stance. . . it is true!
They captured a meteorite falling from the sky.

Now what?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by Box of Rain

Ok, I'll take your stance. . . it is true!
They captured a meteorite falling from the sky.

Now what?

I don't know if it's true; all I said was that the speed of the rock could be consistent with a meteor.

As for "now what?", I don't know. I suppose if they look for it and find it, and then they have an interesting object and story. Meteorite hunters can sometimes get a between a few hundred to couple thousand dollars for a meteorite (depending on size and rarity). If these people find this one, and they use it to confirm the story, then I guess they could get a little more money than that, considering the story that goes along with it.

edit on 4/4/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It's just a rock!! oh oh, wrong thread.

Although I am not an astronomer, I don't believe this is a meteorite at all. It seems tossed to me. People will do anything these days to get hits on their youtube.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned this... yes, meteor... nice interesting....

but WHAT IS THAT? At around 2:23...

I'm sure I saw it earlier in the video but I just assumed it was a plane or something. However, pausing here, I see a sphere fixed in place.

Anyway, I've not written on here (ATS) for a long time, but saw this and thought I should post it.
edit on 4-4-2014 by saladfingers123456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by saladfingers123456

I noticed that too, I also noticed the small black dot to the left of it. In your image, look at the small black dot right under the word "skydiver" in the title.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I hate to say this! but...

it fell from his shoot.
it was stuck until it fully opend.
you can see the shoot just above it when it falls.

sorry....

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

The Great Day
This is a youtube channel with divers name in the about tab www.youtube.com...
Look at his videos uploaded....copy the two that show close up animation of meteorite rotation...this looks like hoax for viral marketing perhaps and he forgot to delete cgi stuff from his youtube channel, or itwas just something used in the analyse of his original raw clip.
edit on 4-4-2014 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

I thought that was very odd... this website says it was drawings from the video though.

The camera sits on the front of the helmet, movies in 1080p30 and capture the best details and meteorite is visible in seven frames. Among other things, they show a strong spin, apparently at least 15 revolutions per second. The animation below shows drawings based on the video, the original image is displayed in the upper left corner. The sizes are adjusted according to distance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join