It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination now Legal In Mississippi

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

I sort of liked this one...

You know, if it was a matter of getting a stock buttercream wedding cake and decorating it yourself, it wouldn't be an issue. But rainbow colored kink cakes are going to be a part of it too.

From my personal point of view, I can't imagine giving a crap. You want a pink cake with naked guys on it, you got it. However, I can see the religious guys point as well. I had a Jain make me a sausage biscuit at a Dunkin once, I didn't know he was one until he had the meat in a pair of tongs in a gloved hand with this look of horror on his face. Now, there's nothing wrong with sausage biscuits IMHO. But I wouldn't have ordered one if I knew he was going to make it and was a Jain.
edit on 3-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

On second thought. I'm done. I'm tired and if you want to be a bigot and refuse business to someone simply because of who they are, go ahead and do it.

I don't care. I'll just balance it out by discriminating against every christian I meet from now on simply because of who they are and because I've decided that my beliefs are more important than there beliefs or treating people fair.

Happy now???

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
This is awesome!!!! Mississippians just blew their noses at the LGBT and atheists community. They told you all that they will no longer take your crap and you will no longer force Mississippians to accept it. I LOVE IT!!!!! Now if we can just get Tennessee to get with the program....

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Thanks for mentioning "forced labor", this is slavery BTW. You are forcing a man to work against his will.=SLAVERY Pay has nothing to do with it, the slaves were fed and housed, so they were paid. They didnt get to decide for whom they worked or when they worked, this is slavery. I guess the jews in the nazi factories werent slaves by your definition, since they werent bought. They were simply forced to work when they didnt want to?

Don't thank me...I was simply quoting your own words. Yes, forced labor without a wage is indeed slavery. I presume that by "the slaves" you are referring to the Africans who were captured and sold to plantation owners? I would love to see the reaction if you told a black person that since their ancestors were fed table scraps and given a dirty floor to sleep on, they were somehow being "paid" for their work. I have no idea what you're talking about as far as Nazi factories, but if they were being given monetary compensation, they were not slaves.

1slave noun \ˈslāv\ : someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay

Source: Merriam-Webster

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It's too bad people don't have respect for one another.

People have no respect for those that lead a religious life style.
People have no respect for those that lead a gay life style.

Until we, as a society, have respect for one another, embrace the idea that others may disagree with how you live your life, we'll just have to tolerate these laws.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

You cannot force another to work for you, this is slavery.

You appear to be obsessed with the idea of people forcing other people to "work for them". No one is being forced to do any such thing, and I went back and read the article again...still no mention of what you are insisting upon. Discrimination has been illegal for a very long time now, and businesses still reserve the right to refuse service...no one is forcing any businesses to sell anything to anyone or cater to any specific demographic. There is no slavery here. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. And truly, it really skews the topic of the thread because you're introducing an element that fundamentally has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed in any real sense. Right now, nationally, people refuse services to customers at their discretion and have done so for ages. They are not forced to do anything.

All this law will do, should it pass, is create more problems for the state. This is not about freedom or rights. This is about revenge, plain and simple. And it is born out of intolerance, fear and a lot of hatred toward people who have done nothing to deserve being treated that way. Mississippi is my home state, but this kind of thing makes me ashamed to admit I was born there. It is simply a giant step backward, and the aftermath is going to be ugly.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This argument is getting old, are we to rehash it every time a State puts forth this nonsense? It's pretty simple...

You open a business to the public and advertise to the public, you don't get to decide who is a member of the public and who is not. It's called Public Accommodation. If you have religious or personal beliefs that cause you to not want to do business with certain types of people, don't open a public business and don't advertise to the public. Become an independent contractor and advertise through your Church, private club... whatever.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i say keep religion out of politics and in fact all aspects of real life. because religious faith, of any kind, is a deluded, anachronistic fantasy.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The very notion of a public business refusing service to anyone breaks the entire concept of a free market. Unless of course proponents want the government to step in and open bakeries, auto shops, so on and so on in order to prevent the economic disadvantage of 'icky others'... even Walmart wouldn't be able to beat those low, low prices. Good going.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Bone75
Yet another reason I'm proud to call Mississippi home!

Oh and while you're spouting off about people cramming their religion down your throat, here's the bill's purpose from your own source...

Though proponents of such “religious liberty” bills claim that they do not promote discrimination, the examples they cite to explain why such legislation is necessary entail photographers and bakers refusing service to same-sex couples. The Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins praised Mississippi for advancing this bill, specifically highlighting how it would protect “a wedding vendor, whose orthodox Christian faith will not allow her to affirm same-sex ‘marriage.’

What's so wrong with that besides the fact that you want to force your own morality on wedding vendors, bakers, photographers, and eventually churches as well?

tough, buddy...if you want to have a business that serves the public, make profits, pay taxes, you can't discriminate, period....this isn't rocket science, put away your make-believe religious cult crap, when you do business with the public.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I see so many here that aren't tolerant of another's religious beliefs.

I find it somewhat hypocritical that everyone is asked to be tolerant of gays or lesbians, but it is akin to horror if anyone asks to be tolerant of an individual or individuals who have religious beliefs.

As I've stated before, I would think the gay population would rush to the defense of the religious folks because gays have known intolerance for millennia.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer
I find it somewhat hypocritical that everyone is asked to be tolerant of gays or lesbians, but it is akin to horror if anyone asks to be tolerant of an individual or individuals who have religious beliefs.

I am totally tolerant of someone's religious BELIEFS. They can believe what they want, go to church, pray, raise their children in their religion, be charitable, etc. But since when is discrimination (an ACTION, not a BELIEF) a tenet of religion? I thought Jesus taught people to love one another...

There is a HUGE difference between believing something is wrong and ACTING on that belief.

This law (should the gov sign it) opens up a can of worms that the people of Mississippi are probably not ready to deal with. For example, what is a Christian going to do the first time they get turned away because the person behind the counter has religious beliefs that disagree with THEM? And this means religious people can turn away anyone they deem a "sinner". If you're a single mother, you can be refused service. If you're divorced, you can be turned away. If you don't go to church, they can send you on your way.
edit on 4/3/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

'What's so wrong with that besides the fact that you want to force your own morality on wedding vendors, bakers, photographers, and eventually churches as well?' - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, there is plenty wrong with it. But, I was born in Bruce in 1951 and have some elderly relatives still alive.
I know that southerners really believe that if you don't live by their morality rules, you are something else, and don't deserve the same freedoms.

That is why I don't live there.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer

I am totally tolerant of someone's religious BELIEFS. They can believe what they want, go to church, pray, raise their children in their religion, be charitable, etc. But since when is discrimination (an ACTION, not a BELIEF) a tenet of religion? I thought Jesus taught people to love one another...

There is a HUGE difference between believing something is wrong and ACTING on that belief.

This law (should the gov sign it) opens up a can of worms that the people of Mississippi are probably not ready to deal with. For example, what is a Christian going to do the first time they get turned away because the person behind the counter has religious beliefs that disagree with THEM?

But apparently there is no respect for another's religious beliefs.

Some militant folks don't respect/cannot tolerate a religious belief that flies in conflict with their own beliefs.

Hence, the conflict.

Religious folks don't/can't tolerate/respect gays.
Gays can't/won't tolerate/respect religious folks.

I see fault on both sides.

But that's just me.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

beezzer
I see so many here that aren't tolerant of another's religious beliefs.

As I've stated before, I would think the gay population would rush to the defense of the religious folks because gays have known intolerance for millennia.

this is how the early Americans treated people that didn't have the right "faith"....and this is why I don't want these religious nuts to gain any more power than they already have.
www.sundaylaw.net...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer
But apparently there is no respect for another's religious beliefs.

What does that even mean? I don't AGREE with religious beliefs, but I respect the RIGHT of all people to their beliefs, even if I disagree. You can believe anything you want. You can hate the gays, hate the Christians, hate the blacks, etc., (and I'm not going to RESPECT those beliefs) but I support your right to have them. When you start ACTING on those beliefs, however, then I have a problem.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You aren't respecting their rights of belief.

If I were gay, and walked to a bookstore and asked for book XYZ, and they said they wouldn't order it because of their beliefs, is that discrimination, or is that them following the tenets of their faith?

As a gay man I would simply go to a bookstore that catered to MY beliefs then.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sorry but I don't see any gay people petitioning the government to allow them to not do business with straight people.

What happens when a gay auto mechanic refuses to fix a Christian person's car, say in a small town where they are the only mechanic... limiting the Christian person's ability to get to work, costing them their job?

Perhaps you would prefer that government open auto mechanic shops or subsidize auto mechanics that will serve ANYONE.

You seem to have no clue of the economic chaos allowing discrimination will cause.

Not accepting discrimination as part of another's beliefs is not intolerance.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Isn't this discrimination against religious beliefs?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You aren't respecting their rights of belief.

If I were gay, and walked to a bookstore and asked for book XYZ, and they said they wouldn't order it because of their beliefs, is that discrimination, or is that them following the tenets of their faith?

As a gay man I would simply go to a bookstore that catered to MY beliefs then.

This is mental gymnastics. A bookstore owner is not practicing discrimination if they don't carry a book or even a genre of books. Discrimination is if they have the book you want but refuse to sell it to YOU.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join