It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination now Legal In Mississippi

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Bone75

I really don't think I need to quote what the Bible says about poking people in the butt with your ovary baster, do I?
I'm sure you've read the passages over and over again if you've been a member here a while.

... and you cite me with deflection. LOL

The same books in the Bible that decry anal intercourse also condemn the eating of shrimp. I also seem to remember something in there about adultery, making false claims, and not judging others ...

... but apparently "religious beliefs" means only pull out those parts that you individually like, or, make it up as one goes along.

Bottom line, so to speak, any law that establishes the religious beliefs of an individual over the rule-of-law and the rights of others will be eventually struck down in America.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I still wonder why the only "sin" people want to discriminate for is homosexuality... They don't want to discriminate against liars, divorced people, robbers, those who covet their neighbor's wife, adulterers, drinkers, blasphemers, body defilers (tattoos), atheists, those who judge, fornicators, haters, heretics, proud people, rioters, the arrogant, traitors, the unclean, the unforgiving, the unmerciful, the ungrateful, slanderers and women who cut their hair... All of these are sins, according to the bible, but the only one so-called "Christians" want to punish is the homosexuals.

Using this lame excuse that "the bible says so" falls COMPLETELY apart when we realize that ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Even bakers. EVERYONE sins. If business owners were to turn away everyone who sins, they would serve NO ONE! Oh, yeah, I forgot hypocrisy and bigotry!

Can anyone tell me why you pick that one sin to judge and discriminate amid all of the sins?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
could someone tell me how a state government can uphold religious discrimination?...isn't that against the very foundation of American constitutional rights?....isn't this the very reason people escaped from England to come to America....to live in a non-religiously-controlled government?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

How about liberty and pursuing happiness in running their business the way they see fit and not being forced to serve people they don't want to?

You could've been an advocate for Jim Crow laws with that mentality.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
I still wonder why the only "sin" people want to discriminate for is homosexuality... They don't want to discriminate against liars, divorced people, robbers, those who covet their neighbor's wife, adulterers, drinkers, blasphemers, body defilers (tattoos), atheists, those who judge, fornicators, haters, heretics, proud people, rioters, the arrogant, traitors, the unclean, the unforgiving, the unmerciful, the ungrateful, slanderers and women who cut their hair... All of these are sins, according to the bible, but the only one so-called "Christians" want to punish is the homosexuals.

Using this lame excuse that "the bible says so" falls COMPLETELY apart when we realize that ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Even bakers. EVERYONE sins. If business owners were to turn away everyone who sins, they would serve NO ONE! Oh, yeah, I forgot hypocrisy and bigotry!

Can anyone tell me why you pick that one sin to judge and discriminate amid all of the sins?

In the examples I provided, you can't request those services without outing yourself as a homosexual. That's why this situation is unique.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

doubletap
How about liberty and pursuing happiness in running their business the way they see fit and not being forced to serve people they don't want to?

There is no such thing. People CAN NOT just run their business "the way they see fit". You can't have a restaurant with roaches running around. You can't feed rotten meat to customers. You can't sell lead in children's toys. You can't be fraudulent. You have to meet certain standards to run a business with the public.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The State Constitution of Mississippi sheds light on some of our questions here:

The Preamble: "We, the people of Mississippi in convention assembled, grateful to Almighty God, and involving his blessing on our work, do ordain and establish this Constitution."

Article 3, Section 18: "No religious test as a qualification for office shall be required; and no preference shall be given by law to any religious sect or mode of worship; but the free enjoyment of all religious sentiments and the different modes of worship shall be held sacred. The rights hereby secured shall not be construed to justify acts of licentiousness injurious to morals or dangerous to the peace and safety of the state, or to exclude the Holy Bible from use in any public school of this state."

So, in Missi'ppi, CONSTITUTIONALLY, God provides for blesses the actions of the State, and, the "Holy Bible" can be inflicted on any child in any school in the state regardless of their own beliefs or non-beliefs.

This explains much ... to me.

CONCLUSION: If you are anything but a fundamentalist Christian seeking a Theocracy ... get out of the State, NOW!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Bone75
In the examples I provided, you can't request those services without outing yourself as a homosexual. That's why this situation is unique.

A business owner can SEE tattoos. They can see if you're unclean. They can tell if you're arrogant or if a woman cuts her hair... The situation is not unique. That still doesn't address my question. Why just pick on the homosexual?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Bone75

Observation 1: What if I'm a straight guy that just wants to play an elaborate joke on one of my buddies and have a wedding cake at his bachelor party with two dudes on the top? Bwaa! That's not possible? What business is it of the bakers what I want to do with the cake as long as I pay for it? What about *my* right to property?

Observation 2: So "being homosexual" is the real sin here, not merely disobeying god's marriage laws, right?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

It seems that business owners in MS should have a questionnaire prepared for their customers.

Are you divorced?
Did you cheat on your spouse?
Have you ever eaten shrimp?
Have you had sex before marriage?
Have you ever disrespected a parent?

At least this way they can ensure equal protection under the law. If they're going to claim the right to discriminate shouldn't they ensure that they discriminate equally?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Bone75

Bone75

A business owner can SEE tattoos. They can see if you're unclean. They can tell if you're arrogant or if a woman cuts her hair... The situation is not unique. That still doesn't address my question. Why just pick on the homosexual?

If I don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding, I shouldn't have to bake the freaking cake! Plain and simple. Only a first class a**hole would tell me "you're going to make my cake just the way I want it or I'm going to shut down your bakery."

By refusing to bake the cake, what am I forcing the homosexual to do? Go give someone else his money? Do you not see the imbalance here?
edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

give them time it will come..
of course cheating on your income tax or starving you employees to death will never hit the hit list but the gay rights crowd is only the first step of things to come

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Considering that there are only 12 locations of reference to homosexuals in the Bible ...

2 refer to rape (Genesis 19:5, Judges 19:22)
5 refer to cult prostitution (Deuteronomy 23:17-18, 1 Kings 14:23-24, 15:12-13, 22:46, 2 Kings 23:6-8)
1 refers to prostitution and pederasty (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
4 are nonspecific (Leviticus 18:21-22, Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, 1 Timothy 1:8-10)

One does indeed wonder why it's the top sin on everyone's list. Good question;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do I have to bake a cake for a homosexual in my cake shop open to the public?"

Let's rephrase just a bit and see if we can see the absurdity.

"Why do I have to bake a cake for a member of the public who comes in to patronize my cake shop that is open to the public?"

If one is that worried about or neuorically fixated upon the personal lives and nature of their customer base, maybe they need to be out of the cake-baking business? May not be cut-out for the high pressure environment of evaluating which customers are too sinful and which are not?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Bone75
By refusing to bake the cake, what am I forcing the homosexual to do?

You are forcing him to experience discrimination. Everyone always talks about how the business person "suffers" by having to serve the public that he agreed to serve, but no one gives a thought to how the gay person suffers humiliation, embarrassment and shame by being told that he's not worthy of having a cake to celebrate his marriage. To feel the judgement and punishment of discrimination.

You all say that if you were in their position, you'd just go down the street to the next bakery, but what if they turned you down, too? Because you're a Christian. How would you like to be refused service time and time again, simply because you're a Christian (if you are)?

Gay people suffer from the time of early puberty all their lives by being judged and found unworthy by their so-called "fellow man".

Bone75
Only a first class a**hole would tell me "you're going to make my cake just the way I want it or I'm going to shut down your bakery."

No one shut down his bakery. Classical attempt to make the perpetrator look like the victim.
edit on 4/5/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Yea because I'm totally off base for thinking business owners should be able to run their business in the manner they choose regardless of any hurt feelings if they choose to do so.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Honcho

Bone75

Honcho
These people are not having their freedoms or choices reduced. And they are not having something forced onto them specifically. Because it doesn't even concern them as individuals.

Umm excuse me, but telling me I have to bake a cake with 2 grooms on top of it or face discrimination charges qualifies as force in my book.

What happens when it is the only florist or bakery for miles around? Suppose they end up finding a new one only to be shot down once again, and then again. I'm sure there would be an unprecedented uproar if some of these businesses started refusing Christians service based solely on their religious faith. And it would just end up having people kick and scream saying it's a violation of their first amendment right as well. I have no doubt in my mind that it would.

I thought Christianity was based heavily on love and forgiveness. Love thy neighbor after all. Doesn't seem like their following their so-called faith the right way anyway. And I highly doubt there's any where in the bible that states gay people should be denied pastries.

Let me start by saying I'm a lesbian. I guess you never heard of the gay yellow pages? If I want a wedding cake or photograph and a business doesn't want to accommodate me, I will simply find someone that will, possibly within the gay community. Did you really say "the only florist or baker for miles". That statement made me laugh out loud. When did we as a society become so litigious that we feel the need to sue everyone for having an opinion and standing up for that opinion? I would simply find another business that wanted my money. God forbid I actually support a gay florist or baker but, instead I force someone that doesn't want my business to do something for me. If I force someone, I am becoming the bully I am accusing them of being.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

doubletap
Yea because I'm totally off base for thinking business owners should be able to run their business in the manner they choose regardless of any hurt feelings if they choose to do so.

You can THINK whatever you want. But there's a difference between your opinion and what the LAW is.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

There is no such thing. People CAN NOT just run their business "the way they see fit". You can't have a restaurant with roaches running around. You can't feed rotten meat to customers. You can't sell lead in children's toys. You can't be fraudulent. You have to meet certain standards to run a business with the public.

You listed threats to health and safety, and in the case of fraud, an act which would cause actual damages.

Hurt feelings are not the same thing.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

Khaleesi
If I want a wedding cake or photograph and a business doesn't want to accommodate me, I will simply find someone that will, possibly within the gay community.

And that's your CHOICE. I would much rather patronize the gay community than the Christian community who doesn't want my business (I have sinned before). But that would be my CHOICE. The free market is all about having the choice. But if gay people can only get goods and services from other gay people, that means they don't have the choice and are treated as second-class citizens.

Did you really say "the only florist or baker for miles". That statement made me laugh out loud.

I live in a small town and we only have one bakery. I don't know why that's so funny... We're 60 miles from a freeway that would lead to another town.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

doubletap
You listed threats to health and safety, and in the case of fraud, an act which would cause actual damages.

Hurt feelings are not the same thing.

Yeah, and black people should just shut up and go to the next restaurant or sit in the back of the bus. Who cares if their "feelings are hurt"?

Jesus! People are so cold and unloving, I can't believe it!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join