It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination now Legal In Mississippi

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This law is ridiculous and only serves to promote the bigotry that is rampant in the south. Yes, I said bigotry. from Merriam-Webster

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
Its not exclusive to race. Mississippi should be ashamed of itself. This law will only be abused to the fullest extent. What happened to Life,Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Well, there is plenty wrong with it. But, I was born in Bruce in 1951 and have some elderly relatives still alive. I know that southerners really believe that if you don't live by their morality rules, you are something else, and don't deserve the same freedoms. That is why I don't live there.

That is also one of many reasons I do not live there either. I don't even associate with some of my own family because they are such bigoted hypocrites. Life is too short for that nonsense.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

How about liberty and pursuing happiness in running their business the way they see fit and not being forced to serve people they don't want to?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

Then you should be aware that you have the right to refuse service to anyone, singling out a select type to refuse for no reason other than lets say, differing religious belief is counter productive to society as a whole. shame on you.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
reply to post by doubletap

Then you should be aware that you have the right to refuse service to anyone, singling out a select type to refuse for no reason other than lets say, differing religious belief is counter productive to society as a whole. shame on you.

Its their business, their property,their capital, and their risk. Whatever reason they deem appropriate is all they need. If they want to make choices that are detrimental to their business, it is their right to do so.

Spare me the society bs.... Society is a joke in and of itself. Especially in regards to the gay marriage issue. A pioneer who has improved the internet for everyone was just forced from office for a political donation he made 6 years ago because people didn't like it.
edit on 4-4-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As a gay man I would simply go to a bookstore that catered to MY beliefs then

You make it sound as if being homosexual is a choice. Being gay is not a "belief". It is something that is genetically passed down. Of course if someone goes into your hypothetical bookstore and asks for a book you do not carry, you would send them away...and their sexual orientation should have no bearing on that. But how is it that you are going to just "know" they're gay exactly? Ask them? Are there special "gay" books or books that only a gay person would ever ask for? Really?? What sort of book with what sort of belief are you referring to? And what if you are making an erroneous assumption about their preferences in bed, and they aren't gay at all? You see how that could be problematic? It wouldn't be very good for business if you threw someone out of your shop because you took a chance and guessed they were gay...only to find out that you were mistaken and lose customers because you were too busy paying attention to other people's sex lives instead of your own business. And that is exactly what will happen.

Every one of my gay friends are devout Christians. That is their belief. The fact that they are not heterosexual is due to genetics...not a belief. The only reason that sexual orientation is even an issue at all is because we make it an issue. And it has nothing to do with the bible. It has to do with ignorant people attacking something that they do not fully understand, and thusly fear. It is about intolerance, bigotry and hatred...which the bible tells people they are not supposed to engage in. Complete hypocrisy and completely ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tigertatzen

Speaking of hypocrisy....since they always demand tolerance, where is the tolerance in the gay community for differing opinions ?

Having different opinions than you do doesn't make others ignorant.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

mOjOm

Bone75
Umm excuse me, but telling me I have to bake a cake with 2 grooms on top of it or face discrimination charges qualifies as force in my book.

Well, if you have no other reason than simply because you are discriminating against another person, why shouldn't you be charged with discrimination???

Or do you support discrimination and therefor think that discrimination laws should be removed???

lets ask this then; whose morality is more correct, yours or theirs? conflicts of morality aren't absolute even if the majority follows one way. i think protecting religious freedom is necessary to protect people from actual discrimination, why should someones choice of lifestyle guarantee them more rights than someone based on their choice of religion? freedom of choice, religion, speech, etc is guaranteed right? so isn't it hypocrisy to tell someone they should live their lives based on your morals only? to not be allowed to follow their faith just to appease people is rather discriminatory don't you think?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Gryphon66
Can you please quote the Bible verse that addresses wedding cakes? That states that making a wedding cake, for anyone, is a sin?

You know I can't point to a specific passage because there isn't one. You would have to read the book yourself if my response to SearchlightsInc didn't satisfy your "curiosity".

Follow-up question: what if I get you to make a cake for my wedding, but have my own extra groom topper to go on it.

Are you still sinning when you make the cake in that case? If not why not?

If you tell me the cake is for a gay wedding, then yes I am sinning if I make that cake. If you ask me to make you a wedding cake with nothing on top of it, I'm going to ask why whether I think its for a gay wedding or not. At that point you can either choose to deceive me or you can accept my apologies for not being able to make your cake.

Third question: are you familiar with the concept of ad absurdum?

No I'm not and I really don't feel like googling it, so enlighten me if you must.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Since there is no direct reference to making wedding cakes,or even pastries, breads etc. for sinners to use in their celebrations ... how can you make the assertion that such an act is indeed a sin?

Where does a religion arise from if not from the books and texts considered sacred? Do all believers just get to add to the list as they see fit?

Doesn't the Bible say (in Revelations I believe) that anyone who adds to the words written therein will be struck with all the plagues of the Book? Sounds dodgy to me.

Bone, here's the point. The sins of other people are not laid at your feet. If you are a cake maker, and someone uses your cake at a gay wedding, AND if that act was sinful, the sin does not travel through the cake as a conduit to you. If the goods and services we dispense into the world were all magnets for the sins of others to travel to us somehow, we'd all be immersed in sin all the time. That, by the by, is taking a question "to the absurd level" (ad absurdum)

If there's no scriptural basis for the idea that baking a cake is sinful; it cannot therefore be an element of religious belief.

If religious belief can be anything an individual asserts to be true, and we permit religious belief to supercede the rule of law, we are indeed heading in a direction that none of us will enjoy.
edit on 21Fri, 04 Apr 2014 21:35:09 -050014p092014466 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

By your logic, you could ask me for my gun and let me know that you're going to go shoot your wife it, and since my Bible doesn't specifically forbid me from giving people guns to go shoot their wives, then I shouldn't have to pray for forgiveness because I didn't do anything wrong.

That wasn't too ad absurdumi was it?

edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I miss the real bigots...not these cowards that use religion to justify it.

America is actually moving backwards. If a person uses your services and pays you, they are supporting YOU...not the other way around.

Baby Jesus is shaking his little baby head at you people in disgust.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As long as it's private property, whether it's a business or your own home, you should have the right to discriminate against whoever you want, for whatever reason you want. I know that's not popular, and I don't agree with discrimination, but we have private property laws in this country for a reason.

People get discriminated against everyday. Go into an uppity restaurant wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. They'll make you leave. Same with still going to a lot of country clubs now and being non-white. Discrimination is discrimination, there are no different levels of it. If you have to leave a place because you are not dressed the way they want you to be and no one complains about it, then you should be able to discriminate against anyone and deny them entrance.
edit on 4-4-2014 by MadhatterTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

YES, actually, that was PERFECT ad absurdummy ... except the Bible does clearly say "Thou shalt not kill."

People kill people, not guns, remember?

So, if you show me where the Bible says, "Thou shalt not bake." Then we can extend that to "a cake for the homosexuals."

If not, you're still not following the scriptures.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

Businesses that invite the public in to do business are by definition not simply private property.

This is established law at this point.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

Yet according to law property rights still apply. Need proof? Concealed carry laws state a ccw permit is not needed if you are carrying concealed on your property, be it home or business.

Opening your business doors to the public doesn't involve waiving your property rights.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Gryphon66
reply to post by Bone75

YES, actually, that was PERFECT ad absurdummy ...

Well I do aim to please and I'm still lol @ absurdummy

except the Bible does clearly say "Thou shalt not kill."

I really don't think I need to quote what the Bible says about poking people in the butt with your ovary baster, do I?
I'm sure you've read the passages over and over again if you've been a member here a while.

And due to your deflecting on the magic conduit comment, I'm not going to address the rest of your post.
edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: oops

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

In other words, "we serve no colored folks here" is perfectly fine with you? Didnt know so many on ATS were fond of the Jim Crow era.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

You know it also says something about judging so let me ask how do you prioritize your sinning?

edit on 5-4-2014 by Grimpachi because: hmmmm

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by tigertatzen

Speaking of hypocrisy....since they always demand tolerance, where is the tolerance in the gay community for differing opinions ?

Having different opinions than you do doesn't make others ignorant.

Yes, society demands that you are tolerant of homosexuals as a matter of equal rights.

You are asking homosexuals to be tolerant of your so called "right" to discriminate.

Big difference.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join