It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychics arent real and people cannot talk to the dead, all frauds, here is why

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

CJCrawley
I'm conflicted about this.

I tend to not believe the majority of the time...except when I watch Colin Fry.

Colin Fry is a spiritualist medium on UK TV (actually watching him now).

He's very good.

Of course, he could be just a very good trickster.

Yea a very good cold reader.

The important thing to remember here is that they are EITHER psychic or they are not. You can't BE SOMETIMES!

Spiro
edit on 3-4-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Snarl
Depends on context.

I know a guy who can read you like the pages of a book that you yourself haven't opened. Now, does that mean he's got a paranormal gift ... or ... that he has an uncanny ability to predict what you're going to do.

To some ... that's psychic. YMMV

Yeah. I believe there are quite a few studies on intuition and also social engineering to the point you can direct people in their actions and thoughts. Intuition studies showed that certain people can damn near read minds...

So, however you want to define it, one could say they have a pretty good idea what's going to happen to someone.

Also, life experience is another method. I have talked to a lot of people younger than me, and when they set up the parameters of the story, "____, _____ and ______ happened", sometimes it's really easy to predict what's going to happen next.

"So they said _____ and you _____, right?"

"How the eff did you know that???"

"Just wait, _____ and _____ will happen now and you will feel like _______."

A crazy old bat used to do that but played the "I almost died once so now I see auras and am an psychic." Had me going a few times. I was probably in my late teens. She basically used life experience, common knowledge on XYZ, did a fairly decent job at reading people, but claimed it was all supernatural.

Kinda irks me now when I think back.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Sally Morgan is very good too (I'm watching her now).

Yes I know about his dodgy past, Spiro; I haven't watched the vid yet but I know all about it.

Just makes me more conflicted, because I can't see the trick (if it is one).

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lotusfoot

What about priests? Are they scam artists too?

If someone believes they can talk to the dead (spirit) and they can hear them, are they scams? Or just crazy?

I am not saying true psychics don't exist. Yes there are scammers out there, but the real deal too.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lightedhype

I've gained spiritual knowledge and I've seen paranormal activity. Haven't seen an ET UFO nor met anyone who precisely predicted a future event ... but I've got an open mind.

-Cheers

reply to post by pheonix358

Followed your link. You'll find a new flag and several stars. Very nicely done!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hey Boncho,

Yeah ... I'd say the frauds outnumber the legit. Did you see the film Red Lights?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

CJCrawley
Sally Morgan is very good too (I'm watching her now).

Yes I know about his dodgy past, Spiro; I haven't watched the vid yet but I know all about it.

Just makes me more conflicted, because I can't see the trick (if it is one).

No problem

If your interested in how the tricks work and how Fry does them, have a look at the Derren Brown video I posed on page 1. Very insightful indeed.

Cheers

Spiro

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

remrem

What about priests? Are they scam artists too?

If someone believes they can talk to the dead (spirit) and they can hear them, are they scams? Or just crazy?

I am not saying true psychics don't exist. Yes there are scammers out there, but the real deal too.

Hi there,

Although your question was not directly to me, I hope you don't see me rude replying to it?

Anyone can claim to talk to the dead [spirit], including priests et all. The problem lies with them being able to prove it

Cheers

Spiro

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
James Van Praagh is a perfect example of fraud that the OP talks about...

He’s one of those people who can “talk to dead people” who have “crossed over.” Just like John Edward. It’s hard to convince believers that it’s all a game of cold reading, though, when their TV shows are edited down to 20 minutes from hours of taping.

But perhaps this clip will help. It’s a five-minute, unedited clip of Van Praagh on an Australian talk show getting guess after guess after guess wrong when talking to people who have lost their loved ones.

www.patheos.com...#-up/ (Google it - URL contains profanity)

We also sent the letter to you via email. During the week prior to that, our challenge to you was covered by ABC News and Time.com. AOL News reached out to you for an answer, but you didn't reply to them either. All this time, you have refused to give an honest answer to the question of whether or not you'll accept our challenge.

So, we can only guess at why you haven't answered. Perhaps it's because what you do is not "psychic" at all, but a stale and repetitive performance of cold-reading techniques, in which you throw out vague guesses and then repeat back to your audience things they've already told you or things that are simply obvious, all while claiming their dead relatives are speaking to you.

Perhaps it's because your well-worn tricks actually fall flat quite often, such as when you had a spectacular failure on the Australian Channel Ten program The Circle. Perhaps it's because you were just exposed on ABC's Primetime Nightline for stuffing your reading of an ABC correspondent with personal facts that were publicly available with a simple internet search, but which you claimed were revealed to you by spirits.

What Is James Van Praagh Hiding From?

Michael Shermer explains how psychic James Van Praagh appears to talk to the dead by using such mentalism tricks as cold reading and hot reading.

edit on ApruThu, 03 Apr 2014 03:49:59 -05003am30Thu, 03 Apr 2014 03:49:59 -050020144903 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by boncho

Hey Boncho,

Yeah ... I'd say the frauds outnumber the legit. Did you see the film Red Lights?

I haven't seen it.

I don't really understand why people have to play the mystical angle. In fact the most respected and most looked up to, are the same types of people but they tell you flat out exactly what they are doing. Or they simply acknowledge it as their personality without playing hocus pocus routines.

Red lights is?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Great post. I have well over 100 videos of these guys failing miserably and this guy here does it the best

Makes me laugh every time, thanks again for the chuckle

You may like this >

www.youtube.com...

Cheers

Spiro

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Definitely a rental flick. I don't wanna throw down any spoilers, but the ending of the movie puts perspective on my previous comments re: psychics.

Psychologist Margaret Matheson and her assistant study paranormal activity, which leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic who has resurfaced years after his toughest critic mysteriously passed away.

-Cheers

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Just my two cents but it's my belief, more than figuratively, that those who may have had the ability to use all their gifts, don't keep it long if done for fame and profit.

It could be old superstition carried down too, but that whole 'never for personal benefit' thing is more serious than I think I'd tempt fate with.

I know of a couple I'm confident enough to say I'd call if I felt the need for a reading or something else a psychic may have a skill with. I've never met one who looked to profit from it that I thought or felt was legitimate.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Good video...

One comment below the vid I noticed that I completely agree with:

james van praagh's voice pisses me off...

Richard Simmons' comes to mind...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Murgatroid
reply to post by Spiro

Good video...

One comment below the vid I noticed that I completely agree with:

james van praagh's voice pisses me off...

Richard Simmons' comes to mind...

PMSL

I don't think his gonads have dropped Ha ha

Cheers

Spiro

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I really took a hard look at Edward Cayce once.
I think this guy might have been the real deal. Not a lot of good debunking way back when ... but that makes him all the more interesting.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I really took a hard look at Edward Cayce once.
I think this guy might have been the real deal. Not a lot of good debunking way back when ... but that makes him all the more interesting.

He was a great man indeed and should he be alive today, would scoop Randi's One Million Dollars in a heart beat

The last picture of Cayce in your video is a spitting image of David Wilcock. Just sayin

Cheers

Spiro

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by boncho

Definitely a rental flick. I don't wanna throw down any spoilers, but the ending of the movie puts perspective on my previous comments re: psychics.

Psychologist Margaret Matheson and her assistant study paranormal activity, which leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic who has resurfaced years after his toughest critic mysteriously passed away.

-Cheers

I'll check it out. "The Psychic Mafia" was a great book. Although the Miss Cleo et al people say that it is simply a propaganda piece done by skeptics. In any case it is pretty funny.

And probably more true than anyone would like to admit.
edit on 3-4-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by boncho

Hey Boncho,

This is a large part of the problem. I used to be very much like the OP. I was a very scientific and logical person growing up (I am an electromechanical engineer), and there just wasn't any proof. It wasn't until I began to experience 'impossible' things that I had no choice but to change my mind. I have now for many years been a Falun Dafa practitioner and understand many of the reasons the state of supernormal beliefs has to remain the way it does.

The mechanism is very scientific, but the gist is that the genuine and fraud exist together. The genuine capabilities of humans are actually much greater than even these small things like 'psychics' etc, but there is also a mechanism to protect the knowledge to some degree. For someone to just "declare" something as nonexistent, and that somehow makes it so, is kind of laughable.

Those with some small skills may come forward from time to time, but they will not be allowed to disrupt things significantly, so even some genuine people may be labelled as frauds (although actual frauds far far outnumber the genuine). The ones with real abilities absolutely will not display them publicly, take money, or even care about money. Much less will they care about whether someone declares the existence of things one way or the other.

Things may be different at some point, but for now there will continue to be lots of debunking and minimal bunking. That said, the actual science behind it is quite solid and profound.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Then again, a true psychic probably wouldn't care about money or advertise their abilities, so my title was a little confident so Ill probably get it big time for that lol

You already addressed the true problem, so fair play to you for that!!!

I believe some people have some level of intuition others don't have

We all have a 6th Sense... Don't limit yourself!!!

However I'd agree there is no psychic ability... such as fortune tellers or predictions!!!

Personally I believe that is just information received from a connection with those spirits who know what is written!!!
Some claim it's their own prediction, personally I feel that this sort of "psychic" is Spiritually blasphemous!!!
Ignoring the true messenger, taking the credit & claiming to know what will happen!!!

Peace Lotus!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join