It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PERU : Ubinas volcano erupts

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Now this, on top of the earthquake. I've been keeping an eye on this volcano for about a year, it was just a matter of time.

A volcano in Peru that has not erupted in four decades spewed more ash skyward on Tuesday, after authorities evacuated villagers to avoid Ubinas's wrath.
The volcano in southwestern Peru blasted back to life causing 60 villagers from Querapi, near its base, to be relocated on Saturday, Ubinas town mayor Pascual Coaquira said.
"We are readying a shelter for refugees from the blasts," he added, noting that the whole Moquegua region was on alert.
"The volcano has been emitting a lot of ash all day, the people in the town (of Ubinas) are having some problems breathing, the mayor added. They have been given masks, he said.
Peru's geological and mining agency (Ingemmet) said lava had been building up in recent weeks, and warned locals they should prepare for the possibility of more evacuations.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.latintimes.com...
edit on 2-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Pretty close in proximity to the EQ last night. I wonder if that is what woke this volcano up?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

thesmokingman
Pretty close in proximity to the EQ last night. I wonder if that is what woke this volcano up?

Indeed. The earthquake reached that area. This could get worse, if you consider the Ubinas is next to a complex of volcanoes in the same area. Between them is the "Sabancaya", I made a thread about it sometime ago :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

More information and maps of the complex there.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

It would certainly be a sound guess if it was awakened by the earthquake

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by Trueman

It would certainly be a sound guess if it was awakened by the earthquake

If your theory is right, the whole population there have a good reason to be worry (40 dormant volcanoes):

The Ubinas volcano is considered to be the most active volcano in Peru, with recorded eruptions dating back to 1550. In the greater Moquegua area, there are said to be roughly 40 dormant volcanoes.

www.latintimes.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Trueman
...If your theory is right, the whole population there have a good reason to be worry (40 dormant volcanoes):

Yeah - makes you wonder.
They said the volcano starting erupting prior to the major quake.
Makes you wonder if it sensed what was about to happen. I realize there have been many smaller quakes that preceded last night's...but... Still ...
A question for you - If a 'complex' like that were to all grow agitated together, and all (or a significant number) began spewing ash and erupting...together, would the impact be anything near the magnitude of Yellowstone?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm sure the quake and the volcanic eruption may be related. I suppose we could be entering into a time of more quakes and eruptions. These can also have ties to climate change. a half of a degree rise in minimum temperature could possibly trigger more of these events. Nothing to worry about though, the earth has been through things like this before.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You are absolutely right - "the earth has been through this before". The trouble with that statement is that things like that have a tendency of being bigger and nastier than predicted. Think about the fact that just one volcano in Iceland caused mayhem to trans-Atlantic air traffic a few years ago.

If there's only one of a similar size there, then it could cause havoc in the Southern hemisphere. However, imagine more than one of those volcanoes going off. Two or more of a similar size to the one in Iceland, and we could well have an emergency of a scale not seen before in recorded history. It could get very 'interesting'.

But here's hoping I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

WanDash

Trueman
...If your theory is right, the whole population there have a good reason to be worry (40 dormant volcanoes):

Yeah - makes you wonder.
They said the volcano starting erupting prior to the major quake.
Makes you wonder if it sensed what was about to happen. I realize there have been many smaller quakes that preceded last night's...but... Still ...
A question for you - If a 'complex' like that were to all grow agitated together, and all (or a significant number) began spewing ash and erupting...together, would the impact be anything near the magnitude of Yellowstone?

Depends on the magnitude. Look up Deccan Traps for an idea of how bad a complex of events could get.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

ketsuko

Depends on the magnitude. Look up Deccan Traps for an idea of how bad a complex of events could get.

Thank you.
I will.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
According to the article linked in the OP, the volcano first awoke from dormancy in September last year - so the eruption seemingly wasn't triggered by the Chilean series of quakes. That doesn't of course rule out both events being connected in some way.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

This along with all the earthquake activity around the world is making me really nervous...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

A question for you - If a 'complex' like that were to all grow agitated together, and all (or a significant number) began spewing ash and erupting...together, would the impact be anything near the magnitude of Yellowstone? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, it would be something without precedent in modern times. Right now, it could be a good idea to monitor the area of Arequipa, which is where many of these volcanoes are. Arequipa city is the second most important city in Peru and it is located right next to the Misti volcano, besides all the others around. The Misti is still sleeping for now. This photo will speak by itself :

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

rickymouse
I'm sure the quake and the volcanic eruption may be related. I suppose we could be entering into a time of more quakes and eruptions. These can also have ties to climate change. a half of a degree rise in minimum temperature could possibly trigger more of these events. Nothing to worry about though, the earth has been through things like this before.

Climate change is exactly what is going on in that area right now, you are right. Matter of fact, besides earthquakes and volcanoes, "El Niño" is also expected to hit the area this year.
edit on 3-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

In Japan they had an earthquake today at 4. something. Area is Hokaido and the Fukushima area. 2 foot tsunami hit the shores in many places. At the time of writing this, there still is tsunami warning going on. The TV has the warnings on most stations. Also to find out more go to NHK English.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

The plates squeezing closer together caused the quake and may have compressed the area under the volcano too.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
ring of fire getting a little hot...

2nd

top topics

join