It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nukes Are Flying. What Would You Do If Nuclear War Happened?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Nothing I can do apart from accept fate. Chances are I'd be away from loved ones at that critical moment, so it's just a case of reflecting on my life thus far and waiting for the next one to begin.

I like to believe I'd be fairly lucky if it comes to a nuclear war, though. I live well away from the capital so hopefully the Atlantic wind will blow the fallout away from my direction. At the very least, the devastation would be quite small so long as no bombs stuck anywhere west of London
After that, who knows? Either we all go bat-# insane or fix up our own little community.
edit on 3/4/2014 by Draco211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Draco211

I like to believe I'd be fairly lucky if it comes to a nuclear war...the devastation would be quite small

I hate to be morbid but I feel I must acquaint you with some facts.

Britain is one of the most targeted countries in the world per square mile, being a major NATO launch pad; in the event of an all-out exchange, Britain would be absolutely blitzed with very powerful nuclear missiles, each one many times more powerful than the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In the unlikely event that you were not killed in the immediate blast zone, you would die very quickly from the nuclear fallout.

And if by some miracle you managed to avoid that, you wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything as it would all be contaminated. So you'd starve to death.

Everyone in Britain would be dead inside a week. Everyone.

There would be plenty of Americans and Russians who would survive, due to the vastness of their territories (though I suspect they would eventually succumb).

But Britain is tiny; there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss

What would you do in your last minutes prior to the nuclear blasts?

Grab my 9mm and strap it tightly to my body, such as under a wide heavy belt or two.

Living in a metropolitan area but around 10 miles from the center of it, there is a chance of maiming without death, depending on where the nukes fall. If I am incapacitated by flying construction debris and have not bled out by the time I wake up lying in rumble and probably maimed and in great physical suffering, homes and buildings blown apart all over, at least Ill have my gun with me to finish the job the nukes could not.

ETA: If I was somehow left intact, Id probably still kill myself anyway. Fending off starving raiders in nuclear winter sounds like the plot of an epic movie script or cool video game, but of a really #tastic life that I would not care to partake in in any way.

Actually myself and probably all potential raiders would be dead within days anyway due to acute radiation exposure, if the blast waves were too weak by the time they arrived at me.

So die of radiation poisoning, or lead poisoning.

Lead is faster, and I owe no one to suffer.
edit on 4/3/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Only 3 minutes eh!!!! Buch up wih the wife and kids and repeat....

Please fall on our head!
Please fall on our head!

Not much else you can get done in 3 minutes, not even time for a quicky

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Trust in God.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Duck, cover and hope that National Missile Defense works...at least for my area!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to

what more cam be said... Lock and Load...

guarding against poachers. maurauders or Zombie Non-Preppers that were living it up instead of salting away at least 4% of their easily gotten earnings

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

What would you do in your last minutes prior to the nuclear blasts? Stay at home? pray, run, or drown several stiff drinks?

Right. We take Pete's car, we drive over to mum's, we go in, take care of Phillip ["I'm so sorry, Phillip."], then we grab mum, we go over to Liz's place, hole up, have a nice cup of tea and wait for all this to blow over.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
edit on 4-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Either spend my last few minutes with my family, or at least call them.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What would I do? I have no idea. There is no such thing as time enough to make your final decisions. The thing about the human race is our brains are so developed that we never STOP thinking. So in term, one cannot make a final choice. They would have to make a choice that affected them directly. I say that because we work off self gratification. If any person were to say different they would contradict the statement entirely, on the pure fact they would say anything against it. I could tell you this, I would look around and see who I was with, and in the last moments, I would confess for pooping on the floor in the fourth grade. Cheers yall.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Only 3 mins left?
reflecting on my life and hope for an instant death, propably with my wife in my arms.
We work right in the middle of Cologne and live only a few km from the German Luftwaffe Command in Köln-Wahn. So it doesn't matter if I'm at work or at home, I'm 99% dead when the nukes fall.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Crack open my bottle of Special Edition Crown Royal, pour it into a glass over a couple of ice rocks...

... and then pray to Odin that the damned Star Wars missile defense system doesn't trip on a computer glitch.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I live in Lisbon and it's a really small city, I live right in the center of it so if a nuke was to be dropped it would be here I guess. I think I would just hold my family, cry like a baby and hope for insta death

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well, given I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from Chicago........I'm screwed, the initial blast wouldn't kill me, the after math will. I would imagine I'd in the "Hot Zone".

I had a poster when I was younger, of 10 things to do if Russia nuked us, can't remember them all, just the last one.

"Put your headski inbetween your legski, and kiss your asski goodbyeski"

Pretty straight and to the point. And funny to.......

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

wantsome
3 minutes? I thought it took 45 minutes for a ICBM to get here from Russia? If it's a sub I thought it took 15 minutes? 3 minutes wouldn't give me enough time to get to my fallout shelter.

and then what?
1...when do you come out?... after 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, longer?
2...how much fresh water do you have?...enough for 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, longer?
3...how much food do you have? enough for 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, longer?
4...if you go outside, do you have a "hazmat" suit, and a clean room to change in?
5...how many hazmat suits do you have, just for you, or your whole family, and do you have spares?
6...how long before you run out of air filters for your shelter and hazmat suits?
7...if ground is irradiated, what could you use outside your shelter?
8...if ground is irradiated, what plants, animals, abandoned food stuffs could you eat?
9...if ground is irradiated, what source of fresh would you be able to use?
10...if ground is irradiated, what good would it be to plant seeds for food?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

woogleuk
As far as I know, nuke carrying ICBMs are nowhere near this size.

Russia's ICBM's can deliver up to 25 megatons, some even 8 at a time. They can even do that from a sub. So yeah, if you are anywhere within 25 miles of the blast, which won't be anywhere near that high, even if it is in the atmosphere, you are dead instantly. Almost certain death from fallout would be about a 50 mile radius.

Snsoc

Why would someone limit a nuclear attack to an airburst? A surface hit is going to suck up a lot of soil and debris in the vacuum and disperse ionized particles everywhere, killing lots of people with radiation-that's the *point* of a nuke. Otherwise you've just spent a lot of money on a nuclear weapon when an FAB would have done the same damage.

An atmospheric detonation will cause an EMP and knock out communications and electronics. Also, it will have a much larger amount of radiation fallout, due to wind dispersal. This will cause the most civilian deaths, for the least amount of bombs. It can also keep the infrastructure and geography more intact, if you want to use that later on for some reason.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Red Cloak

woogleuk
As far as I know, nuke carrying ICBMs are nowhere near this size.

Russia's ICBM's can deliver up to 25 megatons, some even 8 at a time. They can even do that from a sub. So yeah, if you are anywhere within 25 miles of the blast, which won't be anywhere near that high, even if it is in the atmosphere, you are dead instantly. Almost certain death from fallout would be about a 50 mile radius.

Snsoc

Why would someone limit a nuclear attack to an airburst? A surface hit is going to suck up a lot of soil and debris in the vacuum and disperse ionized particles everywhere, killing lots of people with radiation-that's the *point* of a nuke. Otherwise you've just spent a lot of money on a nuclear weapon when an FAB would have done the same damage.

An atmospheric detonation will cause an EMP and knock out communications and electronics. Also, it will have a much larger amount of radiation fallout, due to wind dispersal. This will cause the most civilian deaths, for the least amount of bombs. It can also keep the kinfrastructure and geography more intact, if you want to use that later on for some reason.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

actually an air burst causes less fallout...

the main reasons for an airburst are the EMP and magnified blast effects caused by reflected shock wave reinforcement at ground level.

the lack of fallout is an advantage if the attacker wishes to occupy the target area afterwards, I'd actually expect missiles targeted at the continental USA to ground burst as russia is less likely to be interested in occupying there (with air bursts in Europe for the opposite reason)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Why have we got to go to Liz's?
edit on 7-4-2014 by Idiosonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Idiosonic

Its a nuke. I would throw on the shoulder holster, grab a sixer from the fridge, sit in my chair outside, pop a top, light a smoke, and see what happens next.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

I live in the corner of NSW, SA and Queensland. There is not much i could do. It is about as far away from people you can get. There isn't even another house close enough to me for a nuke to affect me. So i would do what you would, but i am so far away that i wouldn't see or hear anything. All info would be from radios, if they still work, i wouldn't even know a nuke had hit if no one told me

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join