It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nukes Are Flying. What Would You Do If Nuclear War Happened?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

The Nukes Are Flying. What Would You Do If Nuclear War Happened? -

Not worry about it. We live so close to Philadelphia and the Philly airport that we'd get nailed on the first big blast anyways. So ... just a quick flash and dead ... nothing to ever worry about again. I'd be in a better place then the survivors of the nuclear attack.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Keep away from major cities and targets of strategic importance.

I may be wrong, but from watching various documentaries, not as many folk would die, or become sick as you would think.

Couple of miles from the blast radius, dead, several more miles would be singed and/or sick.

Anything outside of that should be ok.

The fallout, if I am correct is very limited if the nuke is an airburst.

For example....

These figures are for the proposed 100megaton Tsar Bomba, the biggest bomb ever designed.

Fireball radius: 3.03 km / 1.88 mi
Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; relevance to lived effects depends on height of detonation.

Radiation radius: 7.49 km / 4.65 mi
500 rem radiation dose; between 50% and 90% mortality from acute effects alone; dying takes between several hours and several weeks.

Air blast radius: 12.51 km / 7.77 mi
20 psi overpressure; heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished; fatalities approach 100%.

Air blast radius: 33.01 km / 20.51 mi
4.6 psi overpressure; most buildings collapse; injuries universal, fatalities widespread.

Thermal radiation radius: 77.06 km / 47.88 mi
Third-degree burns to all exposed skin; starts fires in flammable materials, contributes to firestorm if large enough.

As far as I know, nuke carrying ICBMs are nowhere near this size.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
id delete my browsing history

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sing the praises of a bottle of scotch.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If I had three minutes.....I guess that is plenty of time to have a beer and a cigarette.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer
id delete my browsing history

OMG, 5 words have never made me laugh so hard

Personally, I'd head for anything remotely underground looking, the sewer, subway, road tunnel etc.

I'd wanna survive that mofo blast and then get my butt out of the city to start helping and rebuilding.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I may be wrong, but from watching various documentaries, not as many folk would die, or become sick as you would think.

Couple of miles from the blast radius, dead, several more miles would be singed and/or sick.

Why would someone limit a nuclear attack to an airburst? A surface hit is going to suck up a lot of soil and debris in the vacuum and disperse ionized particles everywhere, killing lots of people with radiation-that's the *point* of a nuke. Otherwise you've just spent a lot of money on a nuclear weapon when an FAB would have done the same damage.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It will happen.

I live on the North East coast of Ireland. I'd say within the forty mile radius from Sellafield. No doubt it'll be in the top five targets to be hit in Britain .
If I didnt die in the blast, Its hard to say what I would do. Robb a pharmacy and get a load of heavy duty pain killers and a bottle of good Irish whiskey and stick two fingers up to the world and do myself in. Honestly, there's no way I'd die slowly of radiation.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Ideally I'd be Slim Pickens riding the warhead at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to survive such an attack. You couldn't live above ground. I would hope that I would be with a loved one at the end to hold and pass away with.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Gather up my Beloved and the cats and go to the basement.
Until a few years ago I was sure there was no reason to bother with sheltering since I lived quite near a uranium processing facility in western Kentucky that was reported to be one of the first targets that would be hit. Now, that facility is shut down so I guess I'd go to the basement and hope for the best.
Note to self: move bulk of alcohol supplies to basement...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Basic instinct; I would try to survive. I don't think I could just shrug my shoulders and say, oh well and give up. Most of us have that survival instinct built in I think, especially if you have kids that need you to be the strong one and step up and protect them to the best of your ability. Hope may be elusive but its enduring in the heart and mind and perhaps is a wayward thought, but without it, what is left?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
well if its going to be anything like the movie "On the beach" I would have a few days of fun going wild.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Snsoc

Why would someone limit a nuclear attack to an airburst? A surface hit is going to suck up a lot of soil and debris in the vacuum and disperse ionized particles everywhere, killing lots of people with radiation-that's the *point* of a nuke. Otherwise you've just spent a lot of money on a nuclear weapon when an FAB would have done the same damage.

Actually, nuclear weapons are designed for air burst because it causes the maximum amount of damage that way than a surface burst:

Air Burst - Nuclear Weapons

The air burst is usually several hundred to a few thousand feet (100 to 1000m) above the hypocenter to allow the shockwave of the fission or fusion driven explosion to bounce off of the ground and back into itself, creating a shockwave that is more forceful than one from a detonation at ground level. This "mach stem" only occurs near ground level, and is similar in shape to the letter Y when viewed from the side. Airbursting also minimizes fallout by keeping the fireball from touching the ground, limiting the amount of debris that is vaporized and drawn up in the radioactive debris cloud. For the Hiroshima bomb, an air burst 1,800–2,000 feet (550–610m) above the ground was chosen "to achieve maximum blast effects, and to minimize residual radiation on the ground as it was hoped U.S. troops would soon occupy the city".

A graphic to explain:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

FlyersFan

The Nukes Are Flying. What Would You Do If Nuclear War Happened? -

Not worry about it. We live so close to Philadelphia and the Philly airport that we'd get nailed on the first big blast anyways. So ... just a quick flash and dead ... nothing to ever worry about again. I'd be in a better place then the survivors of the nuclear attack.

It will be our luck that it is game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and Giroux is skating towards an empty net with the puck on his stick.

I think that if their were 2 minutes to live I would clearly find an empty refrigerator and hide inside it, worked for Indiana Jones and seems legit.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Geeesh 3 minutes, def have a beer or two and have goodbye sex with the wife, hmm, another minute to go? another beer and another round with the wife.

Go STUD!!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
There's nothing I could do. I suppose I would get with my family, try to find the best cover I can and then pray until death. Or maybe I would panic and be screaming the whole time. I don't know. I hope that I could do the first thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would make sure those insulting bastards, knew I haven't forgotten and deal with it in a very violent manner.

Words and actions have consequences! Vengeance will be mine and If that bothers you then stfu!
edit on 2-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Meditate and let the body die.

Then I would create a shirt that said.
"I went to earth got nuked and all I got was this lousy t-shirt to show for it".
edit on 2-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

amraks
well if its going to be anything like the movie "On the beach" I would have a few days of fun going wild.

which one did you like better gregory peck or armand assante both were good but i think pecks was best.
edit on 2-4-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join