It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats new in the world of weaponry?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
will weapons like lightsabers ever be reality and what will be the outcome of these new weapons.?

[edit on 26-11-2004 by mew the destroyer]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mew the destroyer
will weapons like lightsabers ever be reality and what will be the outcome of these new weapons.?

[edit on 26-11-2004 by mew the destroyer]

the light saber seems unlikley because of the whole light doesnt stop till it hits something.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mew the destroyer
whats new in the world of weaponry?

Stealth, precision and interoperability will become bigger factors.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by Cjwinnit]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
maybe not lightsabres, but beam sabres like in Gundam

basically plasma confined to a long enclosure by some sort of forcefield (for lack of more scientific terms
)

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaGundam007
maybe not lightsabres, but beam sabres like in Gundam

basically plasma confined to a long enclosure by some sort of forcefield (for lack of more scientific terms
)

I think that will happen only after guns become ineffective, ie, they invent armor or shields that are practical and offer full protection.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yes. When countires/companies develop perfect bullet proof armour, we'll move in the next stage of war, "Star Wars" style...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
yah... it would be useless to develop an expensive weapon while you can use a revolver and cheap bullets

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
But what if the new weapon could kill you from 2 miles away?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
so you mean weapons that kill, but not on the nuclear scale, and is controllabled...i.e. chem and bio are out.
you want...
some sort of energy based sniper rifle?!

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't know! I'm just saying that weapon would be bette than a revolver!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
But what if the new weapon could kill you from 2 miles away?

it would be kinda difficult to use it... unless you are in a plain and desertic place, there are many obstacles to your weapon and vision =P

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Yeh, but if you had a rifle with upto 2 miles of accurate firing, you'd find a way around anyhting in the way.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Yeh, but if you had a rifle with upto 2 miles of accurate firing, you'd find a way around anyhting in the way.

you want something that shoots up to 2 miles?
how would you like something that could shoot over 100 , my estimate, miles at 4km/s and lets say you put in a 1 kg of C1, tha most powerful of the C family, into the slug?
powerful enough for you?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Some Scifi-weapons we will see in the future

Lasers- such as the THELS. They will shoot beams of light that are invisible to the naked eye so they wont look as cool as we see them in the movies.

Railguns- another weapon that will be on the future battle field when the tech is made small enough and better smaller power sources are developed. We might see them on bigger things like large navy ships in the near future.

Smart bullets- Bullets that will change their direction midflight and follow a laser to target much in the same way laser guided smart bombs work today.

Brilliant Weapons- the next step up from what we call smart weapons. Think of a cruise missile that could fly around a target area and tell the difference between a friendly, enemy and civilian target and attack all on its own.

Robots- look for robots to enter into the world of weapons in a big way from UCAVs to bug size micro robots and everything in between.

About lightsabers I dont think we are ever going to see the sword enter into warfare ever again in any form. Even when the sword was still in use it was rarely the primary weapon in battle. The spear has that honor the sword was really more of a secondary weapon like a side arm today.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I know that I should know this but what is a railgun?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A railgun is a magnetically charged steal rod. Im not sure but i beleive its one of the fastest firing projectiles there is.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
whaever happened to the tesla coil...you've seen the images fromhe shuttle of the "star wars" program in action fighting off the ufo...then again tht hasn't been proved, though the government has aknowledged the anti-missle with the "laser" turret in the nose...something about excited photons...but he...railguns are fun too....tech behind the MAC guns in Halo's universe if im not mistaken. (if i am please correct me) well rail guns and then dumb looking square guns that can fire literal ails of bullets...i don't like those....the 04 springfield is alwas going to be the coolest looking rifle, the square ones look like toys....plus revolvers are too much fun to twirl...just a thought.

[edit on 29/11/04 by Fates_Dealer42]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I've heard about new type of armor. It is like durable as hell and it increases your ability in strength (the armor adds to it... not actually give syou more muscle)

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Major developments will be:

-Railguns like mentioned before, a weapon able to fire a projectile using electromagnetism, this can propel a projectile to very high velocity (near lightspeed), this is the most impressive anti-armor weapon, there are/were plans to equip the next generation of armored vehicles with a railgun.
-Electromagentic armor, this will repel bullets and other common projectiles.
-Optical Stealth, there are many succesful test in optical stealth and there are rumors of stealth that can be used on infantry.
-Nanotechnology, this is going to be a big leap in all fields of technology, the first military applications will be microscopic spies that can hover in vast clouds above enemy teritory virtually unseen, also new infantry armor will be developed that will be able to heal infantry as soon as they get wounded...

as for Lightsabres, i'm sure something like that will be developed by some fan of star wars, it seems inevitable to me...just like star trek things...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I know that I should know this but what is a railgun?

a set of rail which are wired up to atleast a kilowatt of power and the electricity is passed through it.
now electricity produces a magnetic field as it passes through wires,metal.etc.
once the current is flowing then a slug is put onto the rails and the magnets push and pull it along it.
the record set with 6 metre rails is 4 km per second.
as for the rail gun reaching near light speed i dont think so its not even a 1/1000th of the speed.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by devilwasp]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join