It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatars and Backgrounds question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am relatively new here and far from tech savvy. When I joined I looked through the freshman forum and was able to load my little picture of the guy hammering out the sword on the anvil.
Is that an avatar or a background and what is the difference?

I have tried to read the avatar creation thread, it seems like links to other pages with links to other page ad infinitum lol...and is 108 pages long.
Do you creators know if somebody makes a request for something on page 108?

I see about loading a blank for some reason, with links to blank...

Lets say I would like to change my little guy at the anvil to something custom, from one of the very artistic members. how?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Click the image in my signature for the avatar creations thread. They will fix you up nicely. Helped me right out. Twice.
edit on 4/2/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

tinner07
Is that an avatar or a background and what is the difference?

Your guy with the anvil is an avatar. The larger images that some members have are a "background". You can use one or the other, or use them in conjunction. For example, the dude shown for my posts is my backgroung image, and the words that animate over it are an animated GIF used as my avatar.

tinner07
I have tried to read the avatar creation thread, it seems like links to other pages with links to other page ad infinitum lol...and is 108 pages long.
Do you creators know if somebody makes a request for something on page 108?

Yes, the thread is monitored by wonderful avatar creators. Post your request and be patient, enthusiastic magic will eventually ensue.

tinner07
I see about loading a blank for some reason, with links to blank...

A blank avatar GIF is used when the member wants the entire space to be a "background" image. It's a see-through avatar that holds the space.

Hope this helps!
edit on 4/2/2014 by InTheFlesh1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

These guys made mine.. isn't it Fab

They'll do you proud.. Remember lavish stars and flags on them.. they deserve it.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

ok that helps and thank you to both of you. Im guessing yours flesh is a background due its size? So im guessing you can have both an avatar and a background overlap, hence the blank for an invisible avatar, showing only your background image?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Yes yours is cool as hell, lots going on there

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

tinner07
reply to post by rigel4

Yes yours is cool as hell, lots going on there

Thank you..

Give the guys some ideas to work with and they will do their very best to
make you happy.. I think they are great

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think simple is best.....

Of course, my su,,s...

But, it says it all-especially before they cut down the size.

You could see the paking lot, light pole, then the bird, looking at the moon, which was watching down over us.

edit on 4/2/2014 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Do you have to have a certain number of posts to do a background picture or avatar? I have been hunting down how to do it but seem to be missing buttons/links, is it because I don't have enough posts?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I can't even find my profile so far. I'm hoping it is easier to navigate from my home computer later. BUT, if any artistic souls would like to create an avatar representing my namesake, I'd be THRILLED!

FTR, the name is a Hank III song that I plan to write a thread about later, and that is how I ended up creating an ATS account.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ufochick

I dont think so. just start in the freshman forum. I learned how to put up my pic, Avatar. im still learning

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Ill let others be specific but basically you can use any kind of picture-family, yearbook, fantasy, gaming, one off your photo...literally anything as both an avatar and/or background.

The only real issue wil be resizing it if it needs to be, to use it on ATS.

PS There could be to a lesser degree...becopyright (permission to use it)issues with the ones off-the -net. Ive never though seen that happen personally.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have a quick question, I'm using an iPhone and my and other avatars only partly shows up, and I don't see any backgrounds. Is that normal?

top topics

join