It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Airborne? Spreads From Pigs to Monkeys Without Contact

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Many thanks to Elliot for this link. Researchers from the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg showed that airborne Ebola in piglets infected macaque monkeys, leaving evidence of infection in their lungs. Worrisome because macaques and humans are genetically close.

Ebola can incubate up to 3 weeks before symptoms appear - it's assumed not to be infectious during this time - but kills up to 90% of those infected. Common wisdom says Ebola's virulence saves us - it kills so quickly it doesn't have time to spread. But if it incubates for up to 3 weeks, seems it might have time to really get around.

Could Ebola now be airborne? New research shows lethal virus can be spread from pigs to monkeys without contact

Findings come as scores of Ugandans are isolated in latest outbreak
Untreatable virus causes internal bleeding and multiple organ failure
Previously thought to be transmitted only by direct contact

....It was previously thought the untreatable virus, which causes massive internal bleeding and multiple organ failure, could only be transmitted through contact with infected blood.

But now Canadian researchers have carried out experiments showing how monkeys can catch the deadly disease from infected pigs without coming into direct contact.

...The virus is known to be transmitted through direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person, or objects that have been contaminated with infected secretions.

...Experts say this extreme virulence is its weak spot. The virus can be contained because it kills its victims faster than it can spread to new ones. However, if the disease is now airborne it could make containment more difficult.

....Researchers at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg deliberately infected six piglets with the ebola virus and put them in pens where macaque monkeys were housed in wire cages.

Within eight days all four monkeys caught the virus through indirect contact, according to the study published in the journal Scientific Reports.

...large droplets of moisture containing the virus were being exhaled with the piglets' breath.

'They can stay in the air, but not long, they don't go far,' he told the broadcaster. 'But they can be absorbed in the airway and this is how the infection starts, and this is what we think, because we saw a lot of evidence in the lungs of the non-human primates that the virus got in that way.'

Further work is needed but the findings are worrying as macaques are close genetic relatives to humans, said the researchers.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It reminds me of the movie Outbreak.

Kind of scary!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Uh huh. Outbreak was based on the true story of the first Ebola outbreak.

Funny how life and art can intersect.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Animal to animal is not scary. It would still take a lot of mutations for it to be able to infect humans through the air. Just like swine flu and bird flu. They took a long time to be able to affect humans through the air. It has to go through specific mutations. I don't see this happening anytime soon without intervention. We do not have enough Ebola outbreaks for it to reach that level of mutation.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

It's the 21st century and humans are still using enslaved animals for food. Idiots.

Ebola smeeola, what are the U.N. and the NWO good for if they don't start addressing that major problem, the root of these kind of diseases, the destruction of the forests and oceans, and the scrambling of human emotions and thought. Give me that old time religion (Genesis 1:29, on the first page of the bible). Ebola floating in the air? Yikes (hopefully this is caught and handled by folks who know what they're doing). Thanks for the thread and the links.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Marvel at mother nature, and no matter how smart we think we are, she rules the roost.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

We do not have enough Ebola outbreaks for it to reach that level of mutation.

Since February 9, the current outbreaks in Guinea spread hundreds of kilometres - from the rainforest to Macenta, Gueckedou, Kissidougou and on to the capital Conakry as well as into Liberia. Are you absolutely confident that all the chains of infections involve the intimate exchange of bodily fluids?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

And she is also really good at population control.....

That has always been a worry to me.
Some sort of natural outbreak that wipes a lot of people out.

I remember one year catching the flu and almost dying from it.
My great grandfather did back in the flu epidemic of 1918,
so it always worries me.

Something like an airborne Ebola outbreak would cause me to head right up into the nearest national forest and wait it out...lol

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Pimpintology
Animal to animal is not scary.

?????!!!!!! In case you hadn't noticed, humans are animals. The ability for a germ or virus to jump from species to species is still a low knowledge area, and Ebola, because it has usually been confined to remote African villages and kills quickly, is relatively un-researched. There's not a lot of researchers willing to go into the field and check this out and the research done in laboratories is not the same as random real-life.

Once there is even ONE species jump to humans, it's a wildfire situation, especially with global travel abilities. I find it difficult to believe that something so lethal could have a prolonged incubation period during which the carrier looked and felt fine, but if it's true, this is much more dangerous then we've been led to believe. EVERYBODY who has been in contact with a carrier, or by extension those people who have been in contact with the contactees, could now be infected and going on their merry way in a city with millions of people.

As was reported in another thread, if it's spread by sweat or any other bodily fluid, it's a horror waiting to happen. How many people do you normally come in contact with on a daily basis, and how many of them have used public transportation in the last two weeks? How would you even know?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So now that they know if you cough or sputter into the air and are in close contact with another you could spread it will they stop injecting it into animals on purpose?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Not to mention door knobs they have touched, money that they have held, and just anything they have touched...

Things spread quick that way. When I was a cashier I watched a few times as people would catch flues and different infections just from holding a credit card or money from someone who was sick...

Thank god for hand sanitizer !

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
AND, the US has a new phlebovirus on the rise which has been unheard of in the West up until now. "Heartland Virus" spread by ticks. It isn't fatal, but it is very serious and makes you wish it were fatal.

Scary, because if blood-borne viruses are on the rise in the US through ticks, with the recent suspected Ebola in Canada, and this news that it can spread without contact.....

www.thedailybeast.com...

edit on 2-4-2014 by 3shadesofblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Darkblade71
reply to post by signalfire

Not to mention door knobs they have touched, money that they have held, and just anything they have touched...

Things spread quick that way. When I was a cashier I watched a few times as people would catch flues and different infections just from holding a credit card or money from someone who was sick...

Thank god for hand sanitizer !

lol, you know one of the experiments that I had to do as a bio major was take a swab to a commonly used item...like a doorknob and then drag the swab through a petri dish to watch and identify what grows. Good times! lol There is no 3 second rule in my house. Seriously.

P.S. I don't use hand sanitizer because it kills 99% of all bacteria on the hands--including the good ones that help shield you from infection. Just about every biology prof I had railed against hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial soaps for that very reason. You're actually losing an entire army of good bacteria.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I hear ya about the hand sanitizer, but with money and all of the people a cashier comes into contact with, especially where I was at the time, hand sanitizer was safer than catching some weird thing brought from overseas.

But yeah, use things like that only if you gotta.
Sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

If you're handling money all day, I really cannot fault you for the use of hand sanitizer. I always knew the old saying that "money is dirty" but never realized just how dirty it actually is til I had to count over $300k in cash in one night by hand. Halfway through, my fingers were blackened with filth. So gross.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Insects are the greatest threat carriers, there are simply trillions of them. They need to test it to see if it can go from a mammal to a mosquito or tick or flea and then back to a mammal. If it can, we are screwed because it's in Canada now. If it can be transferred that way, even a 10% successful transfer rate, it really doesn't matter where you go.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ebola is the planets exterminator of pests. Once humans piss off our wonderful Mother Earth she lets out her little bugs to cull the nasty pests. We are the pests.....

I think there was a movie about something kinda like this only the planet made people kill themselves and others in nasty ways.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This blows away their saying that it can only be spread by direct contact. All we can hope for is that we have a properly working immune system that can fight for us. Sounds like the ones investigating this disease were downplaying the spread-ability of it. The cat may be out of the bag and it sounds like it is a mean cat. I wonder how long or if they ever will ever start restricting travel to some areas? It would contradict the profits of the airline industries if they were to start to restrict travel.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Ebola is the meanest cat......... No cure, nearly 100% mortality.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

We've known for a long time that it can be spread via very tiny droplets in the air.

Filoviruses are not naturally transmitted by aerosol. They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre droplets in laboratory conditions

Ebola mortality depends on the strain. It varies generally around 50% to 90%. Ebola Zaire is the worst strain with a mortality rate of around 90 percent and is the one currently breaking out very badly in Guinea.

No matter the strain though its yhe scariest bug out there. I think the median mortality rate for all the strains is 80+ %.

There is Zaire, Sudan, Tai forest (aka ivory coast), Bundibugyo, and Reston (discovered in a Virginia monkey lab and is asymptomatic in humans).
Also scary that the Russia's allegedly crossed it and made Ebola pox to allow it to spread because as it is now it tends to burn itself out fairly quickly.
edit on 2-4-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join