It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Has a Sycophant Problem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'll U2U you.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

beezzer

I'll U2U you.

Okay. I'm all ears.

edit on 2-4-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Please don't take it as a personal attack on you by me.

Like I said, I have seen the lap dogs that follow the Alpha's around currying favour or satisfying some other need. I just don't see it much. What I do see too much of is a line being drawn. The deadly US/Them, known/unknown "Other", Left/Right.

And then once the "Teams are picked" the discussion, the REAL discussion gets killed and too many people are interested in "Winning" an argument rather than debating.

Where *I* see a problem is more often with newer members who seem to have joined to harp on a pet topic and have no commitment to the board and it's history. Not to mention the dummy accounts.

Regardless of the cause, I agree with you that the level of discourse has taken a turn for the nasty and personal. And once that happens, any discovery is out the window.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

daaskapital

JohnTheSmith

Yes, there appears to be cronies. But I'll be honest, Sometimes I myself need to take a step back and realize that sometimes my replies are inherently biased.
And of course there are members I like more than others. But it's interesting, as the ones I argue with are the ones I respect the most, otherwise I'd ignore them.
I've read your comments for quite awhile, Daas, and I appreciate you. I may feel slightly more inclined to see things your way than someone I don't necessarily like. I think it boils down to simple human nature, honestly. Anyways, cheers.

I agree.

I agree that we all have inherently biased opinions, and what you say about getting along with some more than others is especially true. It is a social site after all.

I think it just gets to a point where people should stop and think what it is they are just about to do, before going along and acting in accordance with what they believe in/who they agree with.

Thanks for the kind words. I extend the same to you.

Daas.

YET ANOTHER good topic for debate Daas....... I think that you're two for two now..

Which brings up the question, where were all these great ideas a year or so ago

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

beezzer

I'll U2U you.

*sniff* you never offer to u2u me Beezz.....

I'm going to get a complex .......

I'm not an Alpha...

I'm not important.....

(can I have my oscar now?)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Don't feel bad, I have alpha in my name and I'm not an alpha!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

daaskapital

beezzer

What's your solution?

If only i had one, Sheriff Beezzer. lol.

I don't know. What's yours? Lol.

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

I find this ironic, but i'm obviously a despicable person. what are you complaining if you do the same in your very own complaining thread?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

vkey08

daaskapital

JohnTheSmith

Yes, there appears to be cronies. But I'll be honest, Sometimes I myself need to take a step back and realize that sometimes my replies are inherently biased.
And of course there are members I like more than others. But it's interesting, as the ones I argue with are the ones I respect the most, otherwise I'd ignore them.
I've read your comments for quite awhile, Daas, and I appreciate you. I may feel slightly more inclined to see things your way than someone I don't necessarily like. I think it boils down to simple human nature, honestly. Anyways, cheers.

I agree.

I agree that we all have inherently biased opinions, and what you say about getting along with some more than others is especially true. It is a social site after all.

I think it just gets to a point where people should stop and think what it is they are just about to do, before going along and acting in accordance with what they believe in/who they agree with.

Thanks for the kind words. I extend the same to you.

Daas.

YET ANOTHER good topic for debate Daas....... I think that you're two for two now..

Which brings up the question, where were all these great ideas a year or so ago

Thanks.

I would love to get back into the debating stuff again...would be great fun.

Maybe we could have a crack at it sometime? I just got increasingly busy, and well...less active, lol.

Still have some loose ends to tie up.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Indigent

daaskapital

beezzer

What's your solution?

If only i had one, Sheriff Beezzer. lol.

I don't know. What's yours? Lol.

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

I find this ironic, but i'm obviously a despicable person. what are you complaining if you do the same in your very own complaining thread?

I was having a dig...

People used to call him 'sheriff', hence, i called him that to poke a bit of fun. I'm sure he understands it's all in good spirit though.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Leonidas

Please don't take it as a personal attack on you by me.

Like I said, I have seen the lap dogs that follow the Alpha's around currying favour or satisfying some other need. I just don't see it much. What I do see too much of is a line being drawn. The deadly US/Them, known/unknown "Other", Left/Right.

And then once the "Teams are picked" the discussion, the REAL discussion gets killed and too many people are interested in "Winning" an argument rather than debating.

Where *I* see a problem is more often with newer members who seem to have joined to harp on a pet topic and have no commitment to the board and it's history. Not to mention the dummy accounts.

Regardless of the cause, I agree with you that the level of discourse has taken a turn for the nasty and personal. And once that happens, any discovery is out the window.

I'm not.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread. I can definitely see where you are coming from, and i do agree with your points.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The fact that a discussion that touches on Board Business has to go offline to U2U, unless that you are trading cake recipes, is a sad state of affairs on it's own, on top of and totally separate from your original point.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

(can I have my oscar now?)

Here you go ...

To an extent I agree but I see it more from newer members , I think it's partly a reaction to the big numbers in the mini profile and length of time served of the said members , I know when I first joined I was a bit overawed by some of the established posters but it wore off as I spent more time here.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

There used to be a message on the reply portion of this site that used to say something along the lines of, "You are an experienced member, keep that in mind when posting."

Or some such thing.

We all have a responsibility when posting. Wish they'd bring that back.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Leonidas
The fact that a discussion that touches on Board Business has to go offline to U2U, unless that you are trading cake recipes, is a sad state of affairs on it's own, on top of and totally separate from your original point.

It was a personal issue, and I didn't feel as though it would benefit the larger group.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

beezzer

There used to be a message on the reply portion of this site that used to say something along the lines of, "You are an experienced member, keep that in mind when posting."

Or some such thing.

I remember that!

It would be great to see that make a comeback. A lot of people tend to forget where they are when they're posting...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

beezzer

Leonidas

It was a personal issue, and I didn't feel as though it would benefit the larger group.

I was half kidding, but also a little concerned that you felt you would get official censure for posting "controversial" board opinion.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

it has always been like that.

The World is full of crawly bum lickers.

lol

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Leonidas

beezzer

Leonidas

I was half kidding, but also a little concerned that you felt you would get official censure for posting "controversial" board opinion.

It wouldn't get official censure, but it involved individuals and that would be against T&C, in my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

daaskapital

beezzer

Or some such thing.

I remember that!

It would be great to see that make a comeback. A lot of people tend to forget where they are when they're posting......

This!

I have said this a few times in posts and got pretty ravaged for it. This board isn't YouTube or some other venue for anonymous hit-and-run posting.

It is a big board with a history and a commitment and I think that gets lost too often. I am often guilty of being less patient than I should be when I see out-and-out lies posted as fact, or someone going straight to the personal attacks.. I am working on it. On me. It is a conscious decision not to.

Someone else being an jerk is not a pass for me to do the same because I didn't start it. There is no "Stand your ground" in ATS.

The magic of this site for years has been the ability to discuss controversial subjects and have the opportunity to really engage with some other people who have put as much thought or research into a subject as you have - or more. And they have links and authors and experiences that you don't.

PART of the problem may stem from the polarized nature of American politics right now and the large percentage of members that are American. That polarization has transferred into the discussions. And not just on political threads. It is understandable, but it is still responsible for killing debate and turning some threads into sports matches, more interested in the score than the discussion.

That is not an America Bash.

I want it to improve. Threads like this can be part of that, but I am at a loss as to how to reasonably do it. I know what I would do, but I doubt it is practical.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Leonidas because: because, because of the wonderful things he does...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people

Interesting....engaging in online "designer" communications with the intention of gaining favouritism / friendship / sway /encourage particular opinion.

So, like a keyboard groupie..........or a presidential candidate.

or me attempting to talk my way out of a speeding fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join