It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho 'Ag Gag' Lawmaker Likens Agriculture Reporters to Terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
So how many people have heard of the Ag-Gag laws? Apparently, according to this article, there are seven states with these on the books to now include Idaho.

Very simply put..? Well, I'll let the article speak for itself. It does it better than I could for defining the extreme of what this covers for what the Lawmaker likens to terrorists.

"The law makes it criminal to document animal welfare, worker safety and food safety violations at an 'agricultural production facility,' thus 'gagging' speech that is critical of industrial agriculture, including speech that advances significant public interests in protecting Idahoans' safety."

The law's language is so broad it can be interpreted to apply to just about anyplace in the state where food is made into meals, public or private, the plaintiffs say.

Umm.. Yeah.. Wow.. Technically, having simply used my phone on a dock while my truck was being loaded would be a real crime under that law. That's just not funny. Of course, there is that whole terrorist thing again..

An Idaho state senator likens investigative journalists to terrorists, the ACLU and others say in a federal lawsuit that challenges the constitutionality of an emergency "Ag Gag" law, which the plaintiffs say is meant to hide animal abuse and chill free speech.

So why would they pass such laws and why would a lawmaker in Idaho be so passionate about anyone filming possible abuse related to livestock or other food production..and so much else? Well...They cover that, too. It's Governor Otter who signed this.

Prior to his political career, Otter was a member "on the Board of Directors of the J.R. Simplot Company," according to a state website. "He also served as Director of the Food Products Division, [was] President of Simplot Livestock, and President of Simplot International. He retired in 1993."
Source

Gotta love the state level politics. It's a wild time to be had by all, in some cases. I'd imagine wild is how any investigative reporter is likely to describe it with that law to contend with.

I guess it'll get some investigative reporters inside prisons anyway. Not how they'd have imagined getting there, of course.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
How does one deal with a law that's so blatantly unconstitutional??????
Ignore it and hope it goes away?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Colorado has a good solution and it's available country wide. Recall the SOB.

I live in a highly agricultural area in WA and wondered if they do this here. Just looked it up, nope.

ETA - FYI, the map appears out of date as Idaho is left blank.

Ag-gag laws

edit on 349am4242am22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

edit on 351am2424am22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I saw that something similar was introduced in our Commonwealth (KY) during the legislative session just ended.
www.lrc.ky.gov...

Interestingly, apparently the "Ag Gag" amendment was added to a bill that originally pertained to humane shelters.
As far as I can tell it passed out of committee but died before it could reach the Senate. I'm sure that Big Ag will try again in the next available session.
I know that Smithfield and some of the other Big Ag, Factory Farm folks attempted this in North Carolina back in the '90s. They even attempted to prevent news and environmental organizations from sending helicopters to report on the over-flowing and busted "lagoons" (sewage pits associated with hog barns) during the hurricanes/tropical storms that caused the rupture of the pits, the contents of which then flowed into nearby creeks and rivers. www.riverlaw.us...

Why would a legislator or other politician be interesting in this?
Because they are bought by BigAg which is in turn owned by the banksters. Do you know how much money banks make on financing these factory farms?
edit on 2-4-2014 by diggindirt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This has something to do with Chobani Greek Yogurts new plant in Twin falls. Not exactly sure what, I just remember reading something about it. I used to work for them at their plant in N.Y. before moving here to AZ.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

"The law makes it criminal to document animal welfare, worker safety and food safety violations at an 'agricultural production facility,' thus 'gagging' speech that is critical of industrial agriculture, including speech that advances significant public interests in protecting Idahoans' safety."

That is possibly the most absurdic law I have ever seen...Of course there are many out-of-common-sense laws, although this one is just criminal in my eyes. Animal welfare, worker security and food safety are three things every agricultural production facility should be required to ensure. I do not know, how to inspections work in US, but still investigating journalists have managed to find some very disturbing facts, so at least it seems, the public inspection system is either corrupt or not working as it should, as it is not able to ensure these critical factors.

I do not know about agricultural sector, but I like the way Finland system is set out in construction business. The companies are required to ensure worker and construction safety - the standards are very high. Protective uniforms, helmets etc. The public inspection can walk in any time unannounced. Let us say a worker has no helmet - fine for the company, no special protective work uniform for the job - fine, the construction has too much dust at some place (slippery) - fine, not enough light (too dark)- - fine, even seemingly quite small things can lead to fines. I know it seems rough for the companies, as well as too much intrusion, although at the end such things are necessary to ensure worker safety, otherwise companies will just start to cutting their expenses by not ensuring the safety of the employees, a´la not getting the protective outfits necessary for the job, at all etc. Such method is one of the few ones able to ensure that employers do not cut their costs at the expense of worker safety and at the end work accidents would skyrocket.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

stirling

And many other "laws", the crimes they put in. I was wondering yesterday and wished I had taken law after all. Think real people need to become legal advocates, lawyers and lay lawyers, working for the constitution, working to overturn all the laws and citizens need to form watchdog committes, councils that are organized and able to work towards a system that elects non elites, real people in, has eject buttons and arrests the corrupt elite.

Other than that, getting many more writing in and phoning in. Getting large numbers on issues, like grannie legion, writing in, and phoning in and telling them, no dear we don't support anything like that, this is criminal behavior and you need to be arrested. you are fired now.

And sending prayers/meditations as well. Groups of meditating people seeing strongly a wonderful equal and free world.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The words 'terrorist' and 'racist' have just become big sticks to beat people with opposing views with.

If you don't like what your govt is doing you're a terrorist? In whose book? The governent or whoever you wish to disagree with.

The good thing is, if you can call it that, is eventually these labels just lose their power and meaning and become worthless............we just haven't reached that point yet.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wholy cow poop. That's what it is. That's all it is except for the piles excreted by the male of the species.

F&S&

new topics

top topics

join