It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Pics of Lightning- taken by an IPAD!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Nice pics, how did you capture it? Is there an exposure setting or did you video it and then choose frames? I know ive tried taken pictures of lightning and there's just no way im fast enough.

Btw, those are some castles in the back ground..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Very nice, and I agree with Mr. Carlin, the second to last pic is really good. You could win a photo contest somewhere (do they still have those, with all the photochop tech available now?). May I suggest you blow up a big copy of that one for yourself. I'm almost but not quite tempted to make it my screen background (I've got that ole classic painting of a beautiful witch stirring a pot of something with things looking at her from the outskirts).
edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

cassp83
You did a wonderful job capturing the essence of a storm! Technology sure can be wonderful sometimes. Can I ask which app you used?

According to the OP it appears she used the app called Kit Camera.

OP very impressive given you are using the Ipad. Quite surprised some of them turned out as well as they did.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

So you live in Dallas/Ft. Worth, I watched this same storm the other night, it was actually a pretty breathtaking electrical display.

South Ft. Worth here near Crowley.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Very cool.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I took this using my Sony A33 DSLR. Taken in Joshua tree, we have some pretty awsome storms out here. Those are actually 2 seperate strikes, I had the exposure timer set at about 20 seconds.

edit on 2-4-2014 by desertguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

That's your house????? Man looks like a mansion. Can I move in? LOL

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
O.P. I have an iPad 3 and it low level light sensitivity (what you would get outdoors) is pretty bad. Is it the filtering that brings out these night shots for you?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ah-maaaaazing. I love a good storm! and you captured this perfectly.

Beautiful shots!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That's a nice collection of photos you have. Great stuff buddy.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Wow great pictures! Nature is powerful, beautiful and mesmerizing.

We are so lucky to have a world like ours.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Any idea if this will work well on an ipad 2? Mine takes horrible, grainy pictures and fuzzy video. In darkness you can't get a picture of ANYTHING. We had a huge full moon here a few weeks ago, tried to snap a picture of it...what I got was a solid black photo with two tiny lights, one of which was a street light. I'd really love something that can help take better pictures and video on my ipad but I can't see how an app can help with the camera quality.

Also you said it was a free app but the one I'm looking at costs $1.99. It's called KitCamera, right?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One key to taking pictures of lightning is to have a camera that allows you to take bulb exposures. Not every digital camera has a bulb mode. If you have a point-and-shoot, you might be out of luck. ALmost all Nikon DSLR and Canon DSLRs.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One key to taking pictures of lightning is to have a camera that allows you to take bulb exposures. Not every digital camera has a bulb mode. If you have a point-and-shoot, you might be out of luck. ALmost all Nikon DSLR and Canon DSLRs.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
stunning pics!!

..is there an exorcism going on in that house? haha Looks like the start of an old horror.. just needs a narrator and to be in black and white.

I suck at posting youtube vids most times so this shall do

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Aleister
Very nice, and I agree with Mr. Carlin, the second to last pic is really good.

Ha ha

I wonder if it would be possible to have mods change my name to Mr Carlin?

....probably not

Thanks for the laugh Al

Mr Carlin

Edit to add: I was all set for starting a new account with Mr Carlin and someone has it

edit on 4-4-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

jackj

Can you explain what bulb mode is? Does it sense when the light changes like for a studio external flash setup?

I did some reading years ago and it seemed the best lightning photos were caught using light sensors to trigger a rapid series of exposures with high speed film.

I wonder if any apps have a setting like that also..

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

desertguy

I took this using my Sony A33 DSLR. Taken in Joshua tree, we have some pretty awsome storms out here. Those are actually 2 seperate strikes, I had the exposure timer set at about 20 seconds.

edit on 2-4-2014 by desertguy because: (no reason given)

Did you set your focus to infinity? or did you have it on auto focus?

good pic if it wasn't blurred.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I've only managed a few decent pictures of lightening strikes...but my best catch on my camera was in video mode.

here is the clip...the close strike is at the .43 mark. If you pause the video there at the right moment, you can actually see the electricity licking out in front of me. It was MUCH closer than I realized a the time. We were standing out on a dock on the lake. We quickly retreated after this!

(I added music to mute out all the screams and stuff in the background.
)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Wow that picture looks so cool! Also, it looks like something evil coming out of that lightning cloud like it came out of the movies. Thanks for sharing its awesome!
:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join