It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seoul examines 'North Korea drone'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

South Korea says it is analysing what it believes to be a North Korean drone that crashed on a border island shortly after an exchange of artillery fire with North Korea.

The drone crashed on Baengnyeong island on Monday afternoon.

It fell as the two Koreas traded fire into each other's waters in an incident Seoul says was provoked by the North.

Seoul examines 'North Korea drone'

A similar drone was found in Paju, just south of the demilitarised zone that separates the two Koreas, on 24 March, Yonhap news agency reported.

It was equipped with a a high-resolution camera and had taken pictures of military installations and South Korea's presidential compound, the agency said.

This goes out to all who believe that North Korea is still living in the 50's when it comes to military hardware.

South Korea has recently recovered two North Korean drones - one of which was equipped with a HD camera. The other...we don't know what it has yet...

To me, it is a no brainer that North Korea has drones flying over the South...but many seem to write off the Northern state as one incapable of much. I bet most people don't know that North Korea actually attends international military conventions where they are able to purchase state of the art military equipment...there's meant to be regulations on 'hostile' countries, but they can get such equipment easy enough.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

i heard it's mostly intact too

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

UNIT76

i heard it's mostly intact too

Haha, that's a good one.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

daaskapital

This goes out to all who believe that North Korea is still living in the 50's when it comes to military hardware.

I'm sure they can buy model a/c and helmet cam's off ebay.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

They can also purchase state of the art military equipment from international military conventions...

They aren't as poor as many make them out to be. They are a state centered around their military...it is only obvious that they would have sufficient military equipment, rather than the crap people believe them to exclusively have.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I found the drone wreckage mentioned in the OP:
PICTURE

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It must be the only good thing they have among all their crap then?

I take that back after seeing OP picture.

Stealthy hey?
edit on 1-4-2014 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

That is so awesome. I have goose pimples.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

They can also purchase state of the art military equipment from international military conventions...

Not easily they can't

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

clay2 baraka
PICTURE

lol - Like I said - a toy a/c

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

clay2 baraka
PICTURE

You didn't have to look far. It was posted in the link i provided.

Yeah, the drones look like #, but they do the job...

I'm simply stating that too many people underestimate North Korea, which is so unbelievably arrogant.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

That's embarrassing. If that's the real thing that crashed? I don't believe I'd admit it was mine, if I were the DPRK. In fact, I'd really deny all knowledge and blame it on a South Korean kid or something. Whoever came up with that idea is probably having a real bad day.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Not easily they can't

Sure, they do engage in illegal trading. They also officially attend conventions and purchase proper equipment. They do it all officially while circumventing restrictions as well.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I think I disagree with your assessment of their level of tech. There just isn't proof anyone has that it's there. They have an Air Force..or farce...with some higher end fighters. The lack of fuel and training hours that causes makes them negligible though.

Despite that? I agree with you Daas. They cannot ever be taken lightly or underestimated. They've been a corked bottle for over 50 years and those generations of North Koreans who know nothing but the State line of education. That includes Kim being a direct divine descendant from God. Old school. Very old school stuff...and they'd fight like it too. I don't think our military would really know what to do with human wave charges at 10 or 20 to 1 numbers, where they honestly do not care if they survive it or not, as long as those behind them get further before falling.

That's where I have deep respect for the DPRK for a war breaking out. They have people power and they have ingenuity borne of necessity after long years of total international arms embargo. (which I am sure China and Russia both follow on their land borders, to the letter...lol)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

That's embarrassing. If that's the real thing that crashed? I don't believe I'd admit it was mine, if I were the DPRK. In fact, I'd really deny all knowledge and blame it on a South Korean kid or something. Whoever came up with that idea is probably having a real bad day.

I believe it is the actual drone which crashed. Here is the other one:

Yeah, they're basically toys. What i'm saying is that a lot of people underestimate the DPRK...While i understand that these drones are ludicrous, the North Koreans do actually have proper equipment...

Oh yeah, i bet the mastermind behind these drones is probably living in a labour camp or something now...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Considering NK's space tech is on par with 70's soviet era space tech, it's understandable.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

I think I disagree with your assessment of their level of tech. There just isn't proof anyone has that it's there. They have an Air Force..or farce...with some higher end fighters. The lack of fuel and training hours that causes makes them negligible though.

Fair enough.

I do remember reading that they attend events and acquire a lot of up to date equipment. Just because they seem to lack the ability to properly use the equipment doesn't mean we should write them off though.

Despite that? I agree with you Daas. They cannot ever be taken lightly or underestimated. They've been a corked bottle for over 50 years and those generations of North Koreans who know nothing but the State line of education. That includes Kim being a direct divine descendant from God. Old school. Very old school stuff...and they'd fight like it too. I don't think our military would really know what to do with human wave charges at 10 or 20 to 1 numbers, where they honestly do not care if they survive it or not, as long as those behind them get further before falling.

Completely true. I agree.

It is something i wish to never see, but it appears that we will have to face it sooner or later. The DPRK can't continue down the path it is in, but i believe that the international community doesn't really want to face it.

That's where I have deep respect for the DPRK for a war breaking out. They have people power and they have ingenuity borne of necessity after long years of total international arms embargo. (which I am sure China and Russia both follow on their land borders, to the letter...lol)

Oh yeah. I feel that we would have trouble if we were to make war with them. Despite the fact that they lack a lot of our technology, i believe that they will be a real tough bunch to defeat...

Thanks for the comment.

edit on 2-4-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Not easily they can't

Sure, they do engage in illegal trading. They also officially attend conventions and purchase proper equipment. They do it all officially while circumventing restrictions as well.

The only arms they can "legally" buy internationally are small arms and ammunition - see Security Council Resolution 1874 - and such sales have to be pre-notified:

Extending the arms embargo on North Korea by banning all weapons exports from the country and most imports, with an exception to small arms, light weapons and related material – though member states must notify the Security Council five days prior to selling the weapons.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here is an international military convention which takes place annually in Jordan. Here, any state can purchase military equipment. While countries such as Iran and North Korea can't purchase some military equipment, there is nothing much stopping them from buying state of the art equipment separately and putting them together with weapon systems.

Here is an interesting video from Vice, which shows many delegates of nation-states participating in the purchasing of equipment. It is well worth a watch, but i point all to the time between 10:14 - 11:25 as it explains how states such as North Korea can engage in purchasing such equipment.

It is arrogant and foolish to write off a state such as the DPRK, all because they only seem to have defunct equipment. If they can get state of the art military helicopters through these conventions, i am sure they can get other stuff.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Aloysius the Gaul

daaskapital

Not easily they can't

The only arms they can "legally" buy internationally are small arms and ammunition - see Security Council Resolution 1874 - and such sales have to be pre-notified:

Extending the arms embargo on North Korea by banning all weapons exports from the country and most imports, with an exception to small arms, light weapons and related material – though member states must notify the Security Council five days prior to selling the weapons.

Thanks for the information. But there is a sure fire way in which North Korea is able to acquire more than just small arms. Please watch the video i posted above. If the North Koreans can get their hands on state of the art helicopters, as well as weapon systems for them, i am sure they can get other stuff.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join