It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newbies. Before you start threading...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
There have been so many replicated thread ideas on the same date, with the same topics and "Breaking News", I think we all feel this needs addressing to add to the quality and orderliness of our site.

Im sure I speak for all of us here when I say I think new members (and a few older ones) should search out if a topic has already been mentioned before they create a new thread on it by reading up a bit.

We've had enough repeats of the missing airplane, the Ukraine crisis, the earthquakes today and yesterday....and anything else of interest that could easily be found to have been brought up already if one would just take a second and look at the "NEW" topics.

To find out if a thread idea has already been created, please click open the "NEW" category at the top toolbar at ATS… BEFORE you start a new thread. Just go down the page to see. Also, ATS has info on how to post, how to upload pictures and embed videos in as well.

We know new members get excited to join here and want to post way-right away...but just a bit of reading the t's and c's and the "how-to's" here...and how to use the SEARCH function before starting new threads...would keep the repeating down. It would also increase our diversity in topics by removing repeat topics.

And save the mods some grief too!

Mysterioustranger

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Well I am sort of forgiving because the new search function I find it as lacking so here is a link to the one that doesn't let me down I advise everyone to bookmark it.

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

Man that page makes me nostalgic.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Thank you. I usually search them or use the front page, I didn't think of checking the "New" section.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

but just a bit of reading the t's and c's and the "how-to's" here…and how to use the SEARCH function before starting new threads…would keep the repeating down.

You can repeat that as much as you like, they aren't reading this either. There are two possibilities. They are unwilling to respond… they are unable to respond.

But they can make threads. He who has the most flags wins. Sounds trumpet charge.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am always scrolling the 'new page' just to get the latest news. It is a good way to check if a thread has been posted as it is in chronological order. I must say though, that the search function is not he easiest to find a topic. I shall try the ASK Search aforementioned.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I think the whole issue would resolve itself almost immediately if one would first click through all the NEW THREADS....to see if its already been addressed.

Newbies understandly, are not familiar with ATS and prob (Im guessing) and just read the HOME PAGE or another, find a news story elsewhere and then start a news thread. If fact, there may as many as 3-4 threads started on the very same topic earlier and sometimes, even minutes later or simultaneous with another one.

'Just striving to make things more cohesive for us all....trying to!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

If I can direct one person as yourself...then it worked. Thanks! MS

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I understand....I was just trying to make a little difference for the good of our site...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zetnom

You my friend? Win todays prize! Thanks. Now if just half the repeat threads...would disappear? Then Ive achieved my mission today....

Thanks for restoring my faith! MS

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I think the whole issue would resolve itself almost immediately if one would first click through all the NEW THREADS....to see if its already been addressed.

That would address a lot of it but even I have made duplicate threads by simple searching what is current or recent. The search engine though hasn't let me down because it scans all the key words. There have been more than a few times where I posted something I though was new only to find out it was a year or two old.

Do one search with the search engine is so much simpler not all articles have the same title and could be worded different the search engine will show those, where just looking....not so much.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Have that page bookmarked and saved on the home screen of my iPhone.

It is so much better than the current search function.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I haven't even made one single thread yet, as every time I come here to do so somebody has already beaten me to it!!!

...one day I'll be fast enough....and make a thread.....

lol

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Agartha

Go right to NEW above with the little leaf....scan quick down the page to check...and thread-away!

Ill be looking for ya!!! MS

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

As of right now on the new page there are three threads about the Fort Hood shooting. Two are one on top of the other.

So I guess your idea helped…. generate another thread.

I totally agree with yo by the way. Just not under any delusions about it. Mods will do their thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

You're beating a dead horse so to speak.

It's also not just new members but many seasoned members who should know better.

I will say this, the search engine blows. I miss the old one. I use google to search ATS because I can never find anything using the newer search engine. I just type in what i"m looking for with "Abovetopsecret" and bam is shows up yet if I type the same thing in the ATS search it doesnt' show up.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

This is the old search engine. I keep it bookmarked.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Grimpachi

This is the old search engine. I keep it bookmarked.

OMG You are my HERO! THANK YOU!

I had it on my laptop but it since went to MacBook Pro heaven. lol

THANK YOU!!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

You are welcome.

The page kinda makes me nostalgic though.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
When you can see repeat threads 1-2 lines apart, you know that they did not bother to search, and it was likely an attempt to gain stars and flags.......for whatever reason.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Well...you are right. The horse has BEEN dead awhile now....I should have emphasized the "NEW THREADS" approach. I didnt even mean for folks to trust the "search' function as it leaves much to be desired.

"Search" for new topics in the "NEW THREADS" is where I should have put my recommendations.

Thanks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join