It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of PC Gaming for Windows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
PC gamer forever here, i despise the dumbed down conformity of the console world.

Gaming has gone downhill as console generated noobs are drip fed terrible games spliced with mindless cinematic cut scenes while being pulled to the end of another unchallenging , unsatisfying experience at $70 a pop.

Pure pwnage said it best :

Dont be a digital sheep , ditch the console.

edit on 2-4-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Steambox is the first step for console modding in my opinion. In another words it will be "you're poor you'll have sh**** graphics but hey you will still have the max gameplay (or not, kinect and co) and your rich you will have top of the notch" but in all cases it will be really expensive. Oh isn't it like that at the moment ?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
I'm not sure where you got this information from. Most games ported over to PC have always had better graphics due to better PC hardware. There are numerous images all over the net comparing console games to the PC port version, and the PC port wins every single time graphically.

At the moment I do get the impression that PC games are not as good as they should be compared to the nexgen consoles, I think microsoft may play a big part in that at the moment in order to up the xbox one sales, microsoft is not bothered about the sales of high end computer componants, as they will always get their pennies on the OS... (conspiracy theorist get out of y body lol) So I do believe the pc games are somewhat throttled at the moment (only for about a year or so) but pc players will always get better fps
(except on nfs rivals lol)

I believe that has been the trend for years now ! (even since the atari yep been playin' since the atari 2600) equally good games at the start of new gens then pc overtakes and then the next new gen copies the best(ish) pc graphics of the said time of release
edit on 2-4-2014 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm even more excited for Linux gaming now.. just found this ..

Valve Open Sources Their DirectX To OpenGL Layer

A bit surprisingly, Valve Software has uploaded their Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer onto GitHub as open source. It is provided as-is and with no support, under the MIT license allowing you to do pretty much anything with it. Taken directly from the DOTA2 source tree, the translation layer supports limited subset of D3D 9.0c, bytecode-level HLSL to GLSL translator, and some SM3 support. It will require some tinkering to get it to compile, and there is some hardcoded Source-specific stuff included. The project might bring some value to developers who are planning to port their product from Windows to Linux.

beta.slashdot.org...

No wonder GOG is jumping on board, they have good stuff to work with.. better than Wine alone could do.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The best games although few are on PCs. Its almost as if the best of the best still need a PC keyboard.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I've been playing around with Linux for years, and recently I've been playing around a lot more with Ubuntu and I like it quite a bit. However, my problem in switching to Linux has always been two-fold. Firstly, there hasn't been up until the last few years, any game support for games (and the driver support specifically, has been horrible). Secondly, as a professional graphic designer I use Adobe's creative suite, which has never been officially supported by Linux.

I'm very happy and enthusiastic about Valve and GOG putting more weight behind Linux, and I'm hopeful that more game developers will start to support Linux at launch. However, I'm very skeptical that Adobe will ever support Linux, and to prove that point, they've recently killed all support for Flash on Linux.

So at the very least I will be stuck with a dual boot situation, if not two computers. I would very much like to tell Micro$haft to take a hike, but without Adobe's support of Linux that won't be possible for me.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I've been a gamer since the early-mid 90's. I currently have an Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, and a PC that's great all around. I bought the PC that I have now a bit over 2 years ago. Since then, I've ran through 4 different graphics cards and installed a new psu. Im currently running a Geforce GTX 750.

However, I will pass on the Xbox One. I really only keep my 360 as backup if my other 3 systems fail for some reason. I'll probably end up selling it once some new games are released later this year.

Long story short - I love both PC's and consoles. I love consoles for FPS multiplayer games mostly. I've had BF4 on the PS4 since the day it came out and love it. I love the PC for strategy style games, such as the Total War series.

However, I would give the PC a better advantage. Mods, pc customization, etc.... I can always upgrade my pc whenever I want. I dont have to wait until the next version of a console is released if I want better performance on my end. I also recently began playing games on Steam that are in Alpha stage, which was something I've always wanted to do but didnt find out about it until recently.

I know the picture is a bit dated (360 vs ps3), but it still sums up everything.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If I could drop windows today I would, you hit the nail on the head when you said that it is only gaming that keeps alot of people tied to windows. The new rig i'm building will have linux and windows on it to get me ready to change over to linux as my main OS only dipping into windows for compatibility issues.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
A real killer for the consols
would be an emulator for
xbox/PS.
Shouldnt be that hard....

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Console Games vs. PC. Like Chevy vs. Ford. Like Mouse vs. Trackball.

Someone raised on consoles will like consoles. Someone accustomed to having more than a few buttons on a controller will stay with PC. I see both sides but I do not see where one has that much pull over the other.

Consoles are great for game makers because they don't come in infinite combinations to have a bug free game for. They are great for some gamers because the same controller has the same general set of functions to adapt each time with a predictable framework for the whole thing to run in. Bugs are rare if they exist at all in the PC sense.

PCs are great for game makers because they allow "Ultra" settings to look good enough to turn grown men into children running for the just released shelf. PCs have the ability to pack far more power than any one console alone in a way they can not match. They are great for gamers because of MODS, that Ultra setting bliss and one stop for the bleeding edge of high tech.

Consoles also have one big Parent repellent. There are too many of them playing exclusive marketing games to force straining households to spend nearly as much as a PC 3 or 4x's to have one of each console kids demand.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
In a few years consoles will be gone...the brand will remain but no actual box will be needed to play.
Just a TV and a streaming game service.
PCs will remain strong and are only getting stronger the best games are on PC and with titles like Star Citizen they will continue to get better.
They may bring out another PS or xbox but I doubt it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join