It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Taxpayers To Spend $400,000 For A Camel Sculpture In Pakistan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

palmalBlue2
reply to post by neo96

and what do we do about it? Not being sarcastic, but seriously.....what do we do?

I don't have answers anymore than you do [that I know of], so.....how do we go about changing the mentality that runs DC?

Voting the 2 party system is not the answer anymore.

Too bad hackers wont expose the detailed corruption.

We all know what needs done. Problem is, no one wins in that situation. But what are our options as we sit and wait for the chains to get heavier and the police state to get stronger?

I am not advocating violence, but does that not seem to be the corner they are backing us into?

Maybe their is a brutal reality to the saying "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Voting doesn't help because they control that.

Protesting has become illegal unless you do it according to "their" rules.

I can see the day coming real soon, where ALL will suffer due to the greed of a few.........
edit on 1-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by palmalBlue2

I don't have answers anymore than you do [that I know of], so.....how do we go about changing the mentality that runs DC? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wait for an asteroid to hit DC.

Because nothing is going to change in that cess pool.

The problem is us.

WE THE PEOPLE,

We are corrupt.

We put people in Washington to cater to our every psychosis.

Garbage in.

Garbage out.

The only way to 'change' Washington is to change ourselves.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hey OP... This might well need to be looked at with some consideration for religion. I don't mean Biblical. This isn't going in a Christian nation. It's going into an Islamic one. The State Department says it's in line to their programs in finding art that reflects the local culture...or something to that effect.

Has anyone looked up what this scene represents in the Qur'an if someone were to plop down a small stone with a plaque simply carrying the words of the verse? ....imagine this to read as a Pakistani, on US Embassy grounds, heading inside..... (slaps forehead)

Surely, the gates of the Heaven will not be opened for those who deny Our revelations and treat them with arrogance; their admission into paradise will be as impossible as the passing of a camel through the eye of a needle. That is how We shall reward the criminals.
Source

There are several translations on that page from different versions but all say about the same. If the locals believe we respect their Faith, then I guess it wouldn't bother them. If they don't? Well..given recent and current events for US actions in Pakistan, I have to wonder who vets these ideas sometimes.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Hey OP... This might well need to be looked at with some consideration for religion. I don't mean Biblical. This isn't going in a Christian nation. It's going into an Islamic one. The State Department says it's in line to their programs in finding art that reflects the local culture...or something to that effect.

Has anyone looked up what this scene represents in the Qur'an if someone were to plop down a small stone with a plaque simply carrying the words of the verse? ....imagine this to read as a Pakistani, on US Embassy grounds, heading inside..... (slaps forehead)

Surely, the gates of the Heaven will not be opened for those who deny Our revelations and treat them with arrogance; their admission into paradise will be as impossible as the passing of a camel through the eye of a needle. That is how We shall reward the criminals.
Source

There are several translations on that page from different versions but all say about the same. If the locals believe we respect their Faith, then I guess it wouldn't bother them. If they don't? Well..given recent and current events for US actions in Pakistan, I have to wonder who vets these ideas sometimes.

Well, not so much. We have seen the back and forth between the US government enough to know that it isn't the US playing Pakistani's but Pakistan playing the US!

Respect is earned not bought!

But I do see where you are coming from Wrabbit!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Well American tax payers are just everyone's bitch, aren't we?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why am I not surprised?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am an artist and I know sculptors who work in bronze. Nice pieces up to 20 feet tall, highest price I see is about 100k. Mind you, this is bronze, not fiberglass. Let's just assume shipping and installation runs 10k, or even 20k. The artists I know win awards, etc., and they have a good reputation and tasteful work.

Why would we pay 400k for fiberglass?. I am wondering how much he was paid, and then how much other people's pockets were embellished.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

artnut
I am an artist and I know sculptors who work in bronze. Nice pieces up to 20 feet tall, highest price I see is about 100k. Mind you, this is bronze, not fiberglass. Let's just assume shipping and installation runs 10k, or even 20k. The artists I know win awards, etc., and they have a good reputation and tasteful work.

Why would we pay 400k for fiberglass?. I am wondering how much he was paid, and then how much other people's pockets were embellished.

Good point! Nice to hear from someone in the business whom can enlighten those of us that are clueless like myself!

Thanks for your post!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I personally love the irony of a man being paid $400,000 to "sculpt" a sculpture out of cheap materials representing a story about the excesses of wealth to be displayed in a multi billion dollar institution representing the wealthiest nation on Earth in the middle of a war ravaged and destitute country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join