It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense Secretary 'Looking' at Banning Tobacco Sales at Military Installations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

neo96

buster2010
If it is on the bases only they have every right to do it because after all it is government property. Many stores around the base will be glad if this passes because their sales will increase.

They do ?

Thought a person has the right to decide what they do with their own bodies. Without government fascism interfering.

Guess not eh.

When you join the military you give up some of your rights. You are basically government property and they are responsible for your well being. So learn something about the military before whining about it.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Craninalbliss
reply to post by neo96

I see this as a very good thing, The army expects its soldiers to run 2miles in around 16 minutes depending on your age. kinda hard to do that when you poison your lungs with smoke. i hope they ban alcohol to we have to have a stronger army

FWIW an 8 min mile isn't really a run, maybe a really brisk walk/job at best. When I do my interval sprints that's the speed I use as my "down" or "recovery" period before I resume the sprint.

As an entity do you really want to promote the lowering the effeciency of your warriors? To contribute to the abuse of their bodies?

Pretty sure the logical answer is no. If they want to feed their vices it isn't like the PX is the only place to feed their vice.

Derek
edit on 1-4-2014 by Viesczy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

So why do the average people put up with this?
Not being snarky, being serious here.
High end military living the life at taxpayers expense while the rest of us are reduced to crumbs from the table.
This disgusts me to no end.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

buster2010

neo96

buster2010
If it is on the bases only they have every right to do it because after all it is government property. Many stores around the base will be glad if this passes because their sales will increase.

They do ?

Thought a person has the right to decide what they do with their own bodies. Without government fascism interfering.

Guess not eh.

When you join the military you give up some of your rights. You are basically government property and they are responsible for your well being. So learn something about the military before whining about it.

You are correct in the government property aspect!

But why can't you see the difference that getting slaughtered for your masters is okay, but shaving some years off of your life doing something you enjoy is a travesty?

Kinda reminds me of how assisted suicide is wrong, yet we feel it the humane thing to do to euthanize our pets......

Whoda thunk it?

EDIT: Something else I just thought of!!!!! The government will make MORE MONEY IN TAXES, by forcing the soldiers to buy their cigarettes off post!!!! Think about it.......
edit on 1-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This is a ridiculous idea. I admit, I'm totally anti-military. But I am pro-soldier. This is a total slap in the face to soldiers everywhere. What sort of message is this sending? It's already a confusing predicament to be in when you aren't really sure what you are fighting for but you can at least fall back on the ole' "I'm fighting for your freedom" line so when you take away freedoms from the soldiers themselves that shouldn't be anybody's business (it's their own bodies), it really makes it hard for them to even be able to say that.

They aren't mercenaries (well, at least not well-paid private ones) so it's not like they are compensated fairly in the first place. Taking away something so petty as their smokes is just insulting. I never thought I would get angry on behalf of our soldiers over something so stupid but this really hits me the wrong way.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is "looking" at banning the sale of tobacco at military installations.

So.....they'll be giving away "free" tobacco then?
edit on 1/4/2014 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

nerbot

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is "looking" at banning the sale of tobacco at military installations.

So.....they'll be giving away "free" tobacco then?

Ahhh ... the good old days. There used to be 4 cigarettes in a box of C-rats.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Oh, this will go over well, lol.

Give me a freaking break. When I was in the army, I smoked a pack and a half a day, drank like a fish. And guess what. I never failed a PT test. In fact, most of the time, I maxed my run. My 2 mile run scores were always in the 13 and 14 range. I was always well below my maximum weight, too. And I knew a lot of nonsmokers that were repeat test failures.

The dangers of tobacco were mild compared to the every day hazards we were exposed to. Radiation from equipment in the radar, toxic chemicals, lead batteries, diesel fumes. And this was before we deployed anywhere. And they are worried about us smoking.....why, exactly?

Hagel is a douchebag, plain and simple. I really hope he gets crushed by the volume of hate mail he will receive from soldiers and their families. If he's so worried about the health of military personnel, maybe he should start by getting rid of the retarded civillian medical personnel who half the time couldn't pass a state board exam. Or better yet, stop pushing pills on us.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

buster2010
You are basically government property and they are responsible for your well being.

Nothing quite like sending a person off to get shot to hell to reinforce being responsible for their well being.

Seriously, it would be comical if it wasn't so damn insulting to hear the US government ever claim to give a rat's ass about the overall well being of individual soldiers. This is all about two things:
1. Control
2. Money
The two go hand-in-hand and, as is usually the case along partisan lines, the jackass in control can always depend on about half the population to support and endorse their greed for both more money and more control.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

palmalBlue2
reply to post by burdman30ott6

So why do the average people put up with this?

Because the average person is an apathetic, stump dumb sheep? Hell, the results of most recent US elections have proven that beyond a doubt.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Suprised they have not done this long ago. It is a huge problem in the military. Some facts from the ALA

Many studies detail the detrimental effects of tobacco use on the military. Some of the findings include:
Smoking is one of the best predictors of military training failure.
Smokers are more likely to perform poorly on military fitness evaluations.
Smokers are more likely to sustain injuries, particularly musculoskeletal injuries.
Smokers report significantly more stress from military duty than non-smokers, especially those who reported that they use smoking to control stress.2
In addition, an Institute of Medicine report found that military personnel who smoked had lower visual acuity and poorer night vision than non-smokers. The report also noted that the adverse health effects of tobacco use such as decreased cognitive ability and impaired respiratory function affect aviation performance and military diving.

33 percent of active duty personnel surveyed say that cigarettes are available at many places on installations, and this makes it easy to smoke.

And most importantly Smoking and Suicide in the Army Study

In multivariable-adjusted analyses, smokers of more than 20 cigarettes a day, compared with never smokers, were more than twice as likely to commit suicide.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

MrSpad

Many studies detail the detrimental effects of tobacco use on the military. Some of the findings include:
Smokers are more likely to sustain injuries, particularly musculoskeletal injuries.
Smokers report significantly more stress from military duty than non-smokers, especially those who reported that they use smoking to control stress.2
In addition, an Institute of Medicine report found that military personnel who smoked had lower visual acuity and poorer night vision than non-smokers. The report also noted that the adverse health effects of tobacco use such as decreased cognitive ability and impaired respiratory function affect aviation performance and military diving.

This is why you dip.

Dip doesn't affect your wind. It doesn't give you away at SLLS stops. It doesn't violate light discipline. It won't show on IR scopes. If sealed properly, it's water proof, and can be used in the rain. It's just as good if the can's crushed by accident. It keeps longer, if you don't mind it being a little stale. You don't have to worry about policing butts. It also leaves your sense of smell intact.

In return, it keeps you alert, calms your nerves, helps you concentrate, keeps you from becoming suicidal, protects the civilians around you and makes you a # sexual tyrannosaurus.

edit on 1-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
At least more work will get done. No more hourly smoke breaks.

But seriously, i don't see it happening. It's too much of a money maker.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

seeker1963

buster2010

neo96

buster2010

They do ?

Guess not eh.

You are correct in the government property aspect!

But why can't you see the difference that getting slaughtered for your masters is okay, but shaving some years off of your life doing something you enjoy is a travesty?

Kinda reminds me of how assisted suicide is wrong, yet we feel it the humane thing to do to euthanize our pets......

Whoda thunk it?

EDIT: Something else I just thought of!!!!! The government will make MORE MONEY IN TAXES, by forcing the soldiers to buy their cigarettes off post!!!! Think about it.......

Bingo it's all about the money. Look at how quick they were to start shutting down the roll your own shops because they were losing tax money.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

buster2010

back in the day, we'd go to the comiss and buy smokes. they were cheaper. so was everything else.

less tax on the base. at least back then.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Bedlam

MrSpad

This is why you dip.

Dip doesn't affect your wind. It doesn't give you away at SLLS stops. It doesn't violate light discipline. It won't show on IR scopes. If sealed properly, it's water proof, and can be used in the rain. It's just as good if the can's crushed by accident. It keeps longer, if you don't mind it being a little stale. You don't have to worry about policing butts. It also leaves your sense of smell intact.

In return, it keeps you alert, calms your nerves, helps you concentrate, keeps you from becoming suicidal, protects the civilians around you and makes you a # sexual tyrannosaurus.

edit on 1-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

lol, good JV reference!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join