It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hitherto Unknown Supervolcano About to Erupt? Phreatic Explosion Just Occurred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

During the late night, there was a large phreatic explosion near the northern shore of Lake Dellen in Sweden, long thought to be the result of an ancient meteor strike. Fortunately it was in an unpopulated area and no casualties have been reported. The eruption cloud rose to more than 12 km in height and it has forced a major rethink about the origin and immediate future of the Lake Dellen formation, says Professor Einar Pall Sigurdurson and Professor Bödvar Reynirson of the Institution of Geosciences at Uppsala University.

Because lamellar quartz similar to shocked quartz has been found in the area, it was assumed a meteorite strike was responsible for the formation of the 12 by 17 km structure. This ignored the substantial amounts of obsidian found on and near the resurgent dome dividing Lake Dellen into North and South Dellen.

volcanocafe.wordpress.com...

There is more at article, including gravity field measurements, which apparently confirm a 12 x 12 km area that they think is a magma chamber.

It would seem we have had a significant magmatic intrusion going on right under our nose, Professor Sigurdurson continues.

Yesterday’s phreatic explosion proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that the feature is volcanic and Professor Sigurdurson says it is most likely a caldera system, a supervolcano, that may be in the last stages before an eruption. The size of the body of magma is many times larger than that which caused the original caldera.

Hmm but wait. How does he know this means it's in the last stages before eruption, if we have never witnessed the eruption of a caldera before? At Yellowstone for example they have evidence of hydrothermal explosions, but those have not led to eruptions. I'm definitely curious on that one.

In any case, I'd say we'd better keep an eye on this one, for sure. While not the size of something like Toba or Yellowstone, that is still HUGE, and potentially very threatening!

So let's get to work ATS, and see what more we can dig up on this.
edit on Tue Apr 1st 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
www.tandfonline.com...

Seems there was a paper written about it being a volcano in 1964?

Unfortunately, like most good reading material, the rest of the paper is behind a paywall.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You have posted the best info so far OP. I did numerous searches and came up empty. Just a little scary after the latest earth quake swarms at yellow stone two more today over 3.0.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
why do people flags Aprils fools stories?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Hmmm... Not sure this is a prank. If it is though, it is pretty well thought out. My paper was published Jan 06 2010.....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have to give credit where credit is due, best April Fools Day thread I've seen so far

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Indigent

Aww, you ruined it.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well, geesh TA! Glad I scrolled through the comments on your link finally. (Something I hardly ever do.)

I could have killed hours looking for research on this.

Where did the little shaking head emoji go?! Or the eye roll? Well, this will have to do....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The articles source is:

Source: Sture Erkell et al. “Lake Dellen, meteoritic origin in doubt.”, 2013 in Baltic Journal of Geology

No google results for Sture Erkell but yes on Steve Erkell. :/

No google results for "Lake Dellen, meteoritic origin in doubt"

No google results for Baltic Journal of Geology....

I did however find results on:

suck·er
ˈsəkər/
noun
a person or thing that sucks, in particular.
informal
a gullible or easily deceived person.

April Fools!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

TrueAmerican

Indigent

Aww, you ruined it.

So far my favorite!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Good Find!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Quick! Edit that before you look like a FOOL like me!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I hate April Fools day. I shouldn't even bother going online looking at articles on this day. It's bad enough getting pranked by the friends and relatives.

So I guess now a volcano is going to blow in Sweden in the next few days to make TA's thread into a premonition.

top topics

join