It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmos and the religious backlash against it.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Did you watch the video?

So, if it wasn't for the Catholic Church, where do you think science would be today?

Monasteries did more than just copy scripture.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IsidoreOfSeville

Yeah, they also killed Galileo.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Goteborg Please don't think i was trying to knock where you live, i wasn't & i'm sorry if it seemed like that. While it's true that there are still folks around that believe that young Earth stuff, i would love to see exactly how that survey was structured. From my own experience, the VAST majority of people (in western Europe) accept evolution completely & it's the elderly & (to a greater extent) immigrants from w. Africa & The Middle East that still cling to creationism as a viable option. Any country that fails to embrace correct science only hurts itself ultimately & so long as that country's not my own, i don't worry about it too much.☮

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Killed him? I don't think so. That's anti-Catholic bias. Mistreated him? Perhaps. But the man was on just shy of house arrest, and treated quite nicely at that.

And it wasn't his theory that got him in hot water, it was when he proclaimed it as truth is when his trouble began.

The story of Galileo has nothing to do with the Church being opposed to science. Galileo was condemned because he could not scientifically prove his theory to be fact, because he was undermined by many of his fellow scientists, and because he had purposefully blurred the lines between science and theology.

Regardless, one bad deed and you want to overlook all the other good deeds and accomplishments?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Here is the video that goes with your post and pic. I saw it on youtube.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The very principles that are offered within modern religion are such; that the unseen forces or powers of the Universe are supposed to be viewed as 'Gods domain'; and by such, something which should be unattainable to us mere mortals.

This is the detachment interwoven into the corruption of the "Arcanum" texts, which "seals" them from all but those in control of the Churches, and the select who exploit the knowledge for dominion within this world in Government and financial positions of power. (Arc of the covenant = Sealed Mysteries of the Universe).

This is the true meaning of 'Build thee an ark of Gopher wood'. It's original translation did not say 'Gopher wood' but; 'Build thee an arc of Cyprus'. Cyprus referred to the underworld, which is more accurately 'Space/the Universe', and Ark refers to the Arcanum, which is latin for 'The Mysteries'.

So what it is actually saying when it states; 'Build thee an ark of Cyprus', is "Work out the secrets of the Universe".

But the powers that be who understand this; do not wish for us to know these secrets, or it will mean that they no longer hold power over a balance of the population. Therefore it was given that anything which appears to impede on the domain of the 'God perception', should be feared and contested; even to the point of lunacy.

To all of the Christians/Catholics and any other religious out there who would take issue with the contents of the show Cosmos; I would simply state;

"If you have such a problem with the pursuit of an understanding of the Universe and its forces; then I suggest you stop using electricity, and all technology. As this is all born of the very thing which you are contesting. And if you are not happy to do this; and return to living in the dark ages; then you need to keep your mouth closed on the topic; and let the rest of us work work out the questions you are either too afraid, or lazy to ask yourself.
edit on 24-4-2014 by ArcanumMessenger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join