It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Moon Gas May Solve Earth's Energy Crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
A gas source has been found on the moon's surface which could help us when the Earth's fossil fuels dry up. Scientists claim this could happen within the next few decades but this gas on the moon could be very helpful. Mineral samples taken from the moon contain helium 3 which is an alternative to the gas that is used in lasers & refrigerators. Up to 25 tonnes of helium could run the US for a full year; this could be transported to earth on one space shuttle.

www.abc.net.au
Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam has told the International Conference on Exploration and Utilisation of the Moon that the barren planet held about 1 million tonnes of helium 3.

"The moon contains 10 times more energy in the form of helium 3 than all the fossil fuels on the earth," Mr Kalam said.
Reactor

However, Dr Taylor says that the reactor technology for converting helium 3 to energy is still in its infancy and could take years to develop.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This would be a great achievement if it is actually carried out. Transportation of gas from another planet to our own would be a great step forward and could prove very helpful for us. Maybe we can find new uses for gases which we already use, making them more beneficial for ourselves.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.sciscoop.com
pearl1.lanl.gov

[edit on 11-26-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
For all intents and purposes this info is good news.

After reading it though, a few things didn't seem right.

From Linked Story
A potential gas source found on the moon's surface could hold the key to meeting future energy demands as the earth's fossil fuels dry up in the coming decades

Now unless NASA has been doing some covert missions, man hasn't set foot on the moon in 30 years. So why has this energy source just been discovered?

From Linked Story
"Just 25 tonnes of helium, which can be transported on a space shuttle, is enough to provide electricity for the US for one full year."

From the information I have read, the space shuttle can not get out of low orbit from the Earth, and currently is not capable of missions to the moon.

Using the formula provided, we would have to process 50 000 000 000 tons of lunar soil to provide U"S with energy for one decade.

This seems like a very tall order.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Isn't the answer to earth�s fuel-energy removing our dependence on fossil fuels as sources of energy?
By shipping He3 from the moon won't we just be procrastinating the problem? Also how much is the cost of such an operation[shipping + utilization] compared to alternate fuels found in abundance on earth like -H2 or fuel cells for example.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by IAF101]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Its great that this has been discovered, but transporting the materal to earth as an energy sorce..... It will never happen.
Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think your right, Red Golem

Even if they built the processing plant on the moon, they would still have to process 13 698 630 tons of dirt per day
just to meet the U.S energy needs.

Sounds like a massive operation.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
why are we so dependent on oil, etc?
Industrial Hemp, for example, can be used for gas.
no joke.
Its quick to grow and harvest and you dont destroy the environment at the same time.

Its amazing the fact that there is no true effort for them to move away from oil.
Look at the fact that they still want to drill up in the Alaska wilderness.

Anyway...it is as it is. The fact is there is a solution, just needs to be implemented

Gods peace

dAlen

edit: just do a search for "hemp as biomass" for more info how it can be used for energy

[edit on 26-11-2004 by dAlen]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
We raped the earth as much as we could, so now its time to take advantage of the Moon. Lets see how much we can get out of her before shes dries out. And then next, maybe Mars!

We need to stop having an industry standard. All cars do not need to run off of a certain energy source such as fossil fuel. A few years ago there was this guy that drove around the USA on a Hemp powered car. In the early 90's there was another man who powered his dune buggy on water. And he made it on the news!

Energy is out there whether its from the sun, weed, or water. Screw Shell.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Yeah but that still doesn't solve the overpopulation problem...In order to solve that we need a fuel source to get to other planets for colonial purposes(except this time there will be no aboriginals to displace.) The food and water crises will be far worse than the energy-crises.....

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yeah but that still doesn't solve the overpopulation problem...In order to solve that we need a fuel source to get to other planets for colonial purposes(except this time there will be no aboriginals to displace.) The food and water crises will be far worse than the energy-crises.....

Hemp...its a miracle plant. grows extremely fast, in rough conditions, needs no pesticides, and has a balance of omega fatty 3 and omega fatty 6 fats...(very healthy for you.)
100s of products can be made from it...clothes, paper, food, etc.

More people are starting to get passed the stereotype of this plant and see its uses.
But big industry tried to kill it off before and wont welcome it further than they can profit from it.
Fact is, its hard for them to control and monopolize on hemp...

...but that will change with GMO as noone will be able to grow there own stuff...(i dont want to get off topic, so I will stop here)

Gods peace

dAlen

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You don't have to tell me of hemp, but don't be mistaken, It cannot solve ALL the worlds food, water, overpopulation etc etc etc. It can help, but as long as the US keeps up its stupid drug policies, then we are still looking at the same old problems. Remember Humans are explorers at heart, it's part of our genes and nothing is gonna stop us from colonizing the solar system(why people are against this is beyond me, why are people worried about us humans Raping the Moon or Mars or any other planetary body in the solar system don't you realize that we have enough stuff in our tiny corner of the galaxy to sustain our civilization for thousands of years?)

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
(why people are against this is beyond me, why are people worried about us humans Raping the Moon or Mars or any other planetary body in the solar system don't you realize that we have enough stuff in our tiny corner of the galaxy to sustain our civilization for thousands of years?)

Good post phixion - thnx.

Sardion - I agree with much you say - but - personally would rather see us develop a civilization worth sustaining before we go all expansionist about it.

Interesting stuff guys.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is comical!

Why didin't we get this story printed during the heyday of whacky news he 1920'-40's .

New brand of X snake oil cures infidelity!

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

www.abc.net.au
...International Conference on Exploration and Utilisation of the Moon that the barren planet held about 1 million tonnes of helium 3.

This would be a great achievement if it is actually carried out. Transportation of gas from another planet to our own ...

``
that there "I.C.E.U.M.", body of thinkers/planners? (is this another one of those make-work- look-busy meetings where everybody gets some face time to make their country look important??) at the UN meeting place?

just how much mass would one have to move, or add, or subtract
from the moons surface to affect its' orbiting the Earth ???

yes, it would be a 'great technical achievement'....
we could call it LUNACY !

WOOO-OOosssh

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
what happens when we use up the moons fossil fuels? we go to mars? ha, lets just use all that energy (no pun intendedd) to thiink up some ways of using alternative enrgies

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Don't know the rate of deposits,

Helium 3 is deposited on the lunar surface by solar winds and would have to be extracted from moon soil and rocks.
but perhaps it is high enough that it can be netted intentionally from the solar winds. This would eliminate the need to pull it up out of the gravity well of the moon. It would also be useful for any free space installations.

It could involve a funnel/cone shaped capture and condensation structure/field.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Perpetual motion is the best that I could think of. Besides cold fusion that is, Mr. Smith. Though I think anyone that controls the moon will control the future of mankind. Knowing this, I don't doubt wars will be fought over it. Which is indeed funny considering the size of the Luna and the amount of resources she harbours; enough to go around I'm sure. Hopefully by the time we have the means to extract, produce and burn as clean nuclear fuel --at a reasonable cost-- this helium 3, we will be at peace with one another. Now I have a question: is this H3 in certain areas of the moon or is it everywhere?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
why are we so dependent on oil, etc?
Industrial Hemp, for example, can be used for gas.
no joke.
Its quick to grow and harvest and you dont destroy the environment at the same time.

Its amazing the fact that there is no true effort for them to move away from oil.
Look at the fact that they still want to drill up in the Alaska wilderness.

Anyway...it is as it is. The fact is there is a solution, just needs to be implemented

Gods peace

dAlen

edit: just do a search for "hemp as biomass" for more info how it can be used for energy

[edit on 26-11-2004 by dAlen]

I agree 100% with you ... but there is too much money to make from petroleum products right now... ask President G.W.Bush.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
isnt george bush also interesting in moon missions? if its feasible to get gas from the moon (it doesnt sound like it) then having the the world use up its own oil supply is brilliant. (if evil and disgusting).

i dont think our civlization should keep expanding like that , its too akin to acting like a viral organism. we must figure out a way to live in balance with nature or eventually we are going to run out of resources and die or get so big we mutate into a ant society.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mephorium
Perpetual motion is the best that I could think of.

No way will we see anything commercially powered by Perpetual motion. For one, it doesnt exist. Also, try to walk into a patent office with a 'perpetual motion' device and you will get laughed at.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuTroll
isnt george bush also interesting in moon missions? if its feasible to get gas from the moon (it doesnt sound like it) then having the the world use up its own oil supply is brilliant. (if evil and disgusting).

i dont think our civlization should keep expanding like that , its too akin to acting like a viral organism. we must figure out a way to live in balance with nature or eventually we are going to run out of resources and die or get so big we mutate into a ant society.

So you want us to stay on earth and wait till we get wiped out by an ELE? Great, just bloody great.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join