It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Tomb With Pyramid Entrance Found in Egypt

page: 1

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ancient Tomb With Pyramid Entrance Found in Egypt

Dating back around 3,300 years, this tomb was discovered recently at an ancient cemetery at Abydos in Egypt. At left is a rectangular entrance shaft with massive walls that served as the base for a pyramid thought to have risen 23 feet (7 meters) in height.

There is no mummy in the sarcophagus, and the tomb was ransacked at least twice in antiquity. Human remains survived the ransacking, however. Archaeologists found disarticulated skeletal remains from three to four men, 10 to 12 women and at least two children in the tomb. [Gallery: See Images of the Newly Found Tomb]

The chambers that the archaeologists uncovered would have originally resided beneath the surface, leaving only the steep-sided pyramid visible.

The pyramid itself "probably would have had a small mortuary chapel inside of it that may have held a statue or a stela giving the names and titles of the individuals buried underneath," the University of Pennsylvania's Kevin Cahail, who led excavations at the tomb, told Live Science.

Ah, Egypt

You gotta love it. The Ancient Civilization that even now thousands of years later and countless discoveries made over the past few hundred years JUST KEEPS GIVING

I thought i'd pop in and drop this off for those who like myself just love this stuff.

edit on 31-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That's pretty wild. I wonder why all those people were buried together. I've always heard you can't take your possessions with you into the afterlife. This culture must have had a radically different mindset than that which prevails today.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I'm sure they would have very much appreciated there stuff being left alone..
edit on 31-3-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The cylindrical shapes off the right side are very interesting.

I don't remember seeing this particular design quality in many other egyptian structures. Maybe due to these being deliberately buried.

Love archeology also, I just wish more was done in South America and Yucatan Penn.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks for sharing this.....

The Ancients left many wonders for us to discover

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Cant wait to see what Zahi Hawass has to say about this!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Cool.

Thanks Slayer for the info.

I must say though, when I first glanced at the photo, I thought that was a "For Sale" sign posted in front of it.

Need to get new glasses.......

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
What are they basing the claim that it is a pyramid entrance on exactly? The foundations? I'm going to have to see a pyramid before I can believe the claim it is a pyramid.

I thought archaeology needed physical evidence before it made claims?

What we see here is some ruins a few bodies and some idle speculation.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
How can something be "discovered" if it was already found on two separate occasions by ransackers?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

SLAYER69
The Ancient Civilization that even now thousands of years later and countless discoveries made over the past few hundred years JUST KEEPS GIVING

Us fringe-researchers have always been saying that there is more to find and we`re still saying there is much, much, much more to find. I`m still waiting on the discovery of an immense Egypt-spanning man-made tunnel system that connects the various structures.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I love when they find new stuff like this. Hopefully everything will be left unplundered. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Hey, if you're the handy type, this place has real potential as a fixer-upper! You could flip it in a month or two, tops! Great location just a few blocks from the local oasis, low crime, located on a major bus, er...*cough cough* camel *cough* route, and noisy neighbors will not be a problem in this quiet, picturesque neighborhood where everyone leaves their doors unlocked. By the way, I've already got another guy who's seriously interested, so I'd make an offer if I were you... I mean, it's a great little property for a first time buyer. Priceless, really.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It would be nice if they found one of these not plundered but that would be difficult. Man has been the same all through history and I'm sure it was looted a few days after it was sealed.

It's neat looking structure and different from what you usually see. So much stuff out there to find, keep us informed on all these discoveries that you come across. This is my favorite topic on here.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think there are so many otehr finds out there waiting to be found under the sand. I've always had the feeling that there is one huge find buried somewhere that will change the way we see the world and its history.

It is hard finding tombs that are unntouched, but humans have been the same since day one.

top topics

join