It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

aspartame amd it's medical use?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I work in a pharmacy as a dispenser in the UK, have done for about 2 years and i'm on the dispensers course (started it last October, due to finish in 2 months).

Anyway, was dispensing as usual the other day and came across a box of 'olanzapine 10mg orodispersable tablets', what caught my eye was in the writing in red on the back reading 'warning: contains aspartame'. I had to read it a few times to make sure it was correct (it was nearing to the end of the day and was mentally drained), I haven't looked into aspartame much but what i have read i can condese down to; it's not good for you, it's in monster energy drink amd they're changing the name of it to amino sugars.

Could someone enlighten me why they would need this apparent bad thing in medication? Could it help for the dispersible part? Is it a useful vehicle in making a medicine? Would be interesting to know

Thanks

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

conz1992
'warning: contains aspartame'.

Hi. It would be real nice if you could snap a picture of that label!!

Aspartame = Bad.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Aspartame = Bad.

The only time I ever get a headache is after eating or drinking something with aspartame in it.

I don't need the AMA or the FDA to tell me it's not good for human consumption.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Snarl

VoidHawk
Aspartame = Bad.

The only time I ever get a headache is after eating or drinking something with aspartame in it.

I was going to post that it gives me headache, but thought the reponses would give me an even bigger one so didn't

A friend tried to trick me one day by puting part sugar and part aspartame in my tea, 20 minutes later I was asking him if he'd used aspartame.
Nasty stuff.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by conz1992

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, and a 'spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down' I guess. Probably why it's in there.
I'm glad it has the fancy warning though.

I'll never drink Monster again, ty.
Annndddd the scariest part of your OP is they're changing the name to the subtle 'Amino Sugars'?? Sneaky bastards...

ETA: Is this it? If it is, I don't see a red warning label.

edit on 3 31 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

It's also in over-the counter products.......spooky for sure
Thanks for the heads up on this

Over-The-Counter and Prescription Drugs Containing Aspartame

Top Medications Containing Aspartame

S&F

edit on 31-3-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Thanks for those links. Primarily children's medications (lots of child "pain relievers" I noticed). Got to be sweet for the kids to take it. They know better. "Medicine" isn't a part of their instinctual make up at that young age.

We have to convince them to take it. "Oh go ahead sweetie, you'll like it. It tastes gooood…"

Thus the sweeteners added by the manufacturers. Thus we convince them they should "take something" when they don't feel well.

Thus we turn them into good consumers of drugs (legal and otherwise) when they grow up.

Slowly oh so slowly, one Flinstones and Barney sugar pill at a time…

My nephew is being fed handfuls of the stuff everyday and there ain't nothing I can do.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Snarl

VoidHawk
Aspartame = Bad.

I never drank diet drinks...big water guy here but my ex gf lived off diet soda...as we dated I began to drink it out of laziness as I could toss the can away as opposed to washing a glass. Well long story short I was studying chess deeply at the time and with just one can of diet soda a day I believe my chess rating dropped close to 200 points from memory issues....I also felt dizzy and tired and had headaches. I was on other medication at the time but had been on it for years. I first thought it was my meds...then it me...I was reading an article on ATS!!!! and it talked about aspartame....I thought man those side effects feel like exactly what I have...I stopped drinking soda and I kid you not my rating went back up and I felt so much better. I wont touch the # now.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

What is so bad, is for those people that have been advised NOT to consume aspartame for health reasons, now they have to worry and watch for what maybe in any meds that they take

I hadn't realized until now to the extent in which this crap is in all our products, most of which is not known to the general public other than as a sugar substitute in sodas/food

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

conz1992

Could someone enlighten me why they would need this apparent bad thing in medication? Could it help for the dispersible part? Is it a useful vehicle in making a medicine? Would be interesting to know

Thanks

This is my answer and i'll bet that i'm not far from the truth.

They put it in medication so that you get sick of it and need even more medication to treat the side effects and then you get side effects of the new medication and i guess you catch where i'm going now

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I hadn't realized until now to the extent in which this crap is in all our products, most of which is not known to the general public other than as a sugar substitute in sodas/food

Me neither. That was some list you linked. Everyone should be taken aback when takin' a look.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

This is the thing that kills me. It's all buried. The producers of this poison know it's bad. The government knew it was bad for years and years. Corporate just waited for the guy who was keeping aspartame off the market to retire.

Now they keep changing the name of this product to keep consumers in the dark ... and the politicians won't write legislation forcing truth in product labeling.

Yeah ... and they wonder why conspiracy is a thriving market. LOL What conspiracy???

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

They put that there because some people are allergic to it. The same as you'd be allergic to peanuts. Whether aspartame causes cancer, that's a whole 'nother debate. Different thread, different debate.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

This is what scares me about this poison: to my knowledge, there is no rule saying a soda has to be labeled as a diet or a regular drink. I can barely taste the difference between them, so what happens when 'regular' is no longer a choice?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Me neither. That was some list you linked. Everyone should be taken aback when takin' a look.

Many thanks to the OP for bringing this to our attention

With Conz posting this thread, we are that much more aware of the presence of aspartame in other non-food products such as medicines, so now we can be more cautious .... for those people that are leery of consuming aspartame

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Aspertame was probably included to make the medicine taste better.

I'm not a fan of Aspertame at all. I get headaches as well. But it actually
is an amino protein based sweetener, so it wasn't really mislabeled.

I have found Aspertame in many discount carbonated sodas and other
products where you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be. In the sodas
at some discount dollar stores you will find Aspertame--and it won't be labeled
as "Diet".

Generally, that is the dead giveaway...if a product is labeled diet then
you can expect that it contains Aspertame.
edit on 31-3-2014 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The first time I ever had any of this stuff was in a stick of gum someone gave me. About ten minutes later I thought I was having a stroke because one side of my face was going numb like I'd had a massive dose of Novocaine at the dentist's office. My mother-in-law took me to the ER. They ran every test they could think of and told me it was all in my head---duh---yeah, the whole side of my head was numb. After about 6 hours it faded away. A few days later a doctor friend of mine who had heard I'd visited the ER asked me if I'd had any "sugarless" gum before the incident. He knew from previous experience that my symptoms matched the side-effects he'd read about from this toxin and advised me to be very careful about reading labels.
The only other time I've had it was when I drank some tea at a social function that I was assured was sweetened with sugar. No, it was apparently sweetened with something that had aspartame in it because I got the same symptoms and a terrible headache as well. As soon as it began I started drinking lots of water (as the doc had suggested doing if it happened again) and got it diluted/washed out in about 4 hours.
Now I'm hyper-cautious about reading labels---every time I buy something. I bought yogurt once without reading the label in the store because I'd been buying it for years without issues but when I got home and took a bite of it, it tasted "strange", looked at the label, and sure enough, they had begun to add aspartame.
The symptoms vary from numbness to tingling of the extremities to brain-fog and lots of other neurological nastiness. I think it is engineered to bring in business for Big Pharma but that's just my paranoia I suppose.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

This is the thing that kills me. It's all buried. The producers of this poison know it's bad. The government knew it was bad for years and years. Corporate just waited for the guy who was keeping aspartame off the market to retire.

Now they keep changing the name of this product to keep consumers in the dark ... and the politicians won't write legislation forcing truth in product labeling.

Yeah ... and they wonder why conspiracy is a thriving market. LOL What conspiracy???

That's one of the main things I love about this site and its members

Someone is always posting info, allowing others to see if it's important or not
Such as this thread, we get to see what the 'new name' for aspartame might be and alert others to it and provide more info as we discover more about it

For example, it sounds like diggindirt has a serious allergic reaction to the ingredient and therefore needs to avoid it when possible.... which means that they have to be more cautious and read labels
But at least they know what the symptoms are and what to do for them

edit on 31-3-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Aspartame is often used in anti-psychotic and epilepsy drugs because it has a doping effect. It also can dampen histamine reactions so the drug is more tolerated. It is not a real sweetener, it is a drug, basically a sort of mild tranquilizer. It is wound opposite of asparagine, a natural chemical. Sugar is also a drug, but it actually gives you energy, almost opposite of aspartame.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

I've never had any ill effects from aspartame. You're most likely allergic to it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join