It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good words gone bad, or words that just lost their meaning.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just sitting around and thinking about how certain words that I hear today irritate the hell out of me! I will give a few and feel free to add yours!

Transparency! This one really pisses me off! Seems to me it has taken on the total opposite of it's real definition.

Progress! Progress for who?

Entitlement! Why is it only a negative for the poor but hidden for those with wealth?

Democracy! One of the most bastardized words in the history of man....

Freedom! What does that really mean anymore? Having 3 television, a smart phone or two, being able to eat out three times a week?

Anyhow, just a few I came up with to start it out. Hoping to see yours!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Accountability .Integrity .Truth ...You would think that there would not have to be a paragraph of rhetoric to qualify those words but it seems that a politician cant help themselves .Kind of makes a person suspicious eh....peace

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Those are DAMN good ones!

Thanks for playing!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
OK, the word that get misused the most and annoys me is ironic.

It began with Alanis Morissette and her song that couldn't seem to differentiate "unfortunate" with "ironic". Then the hipster culture sunk it's claws into the word/concept and further misused and overused it. Now, the people that use it the most, understand it the least.

And don't get me started on people using the word "literally" when they mean "figuratively" and even just "really"

*sigh*

I'm not a fan of grammar police, and the misuse of these words doesn't bother me too much. But it is annoying. Languages evolve, and I suppose this is just part of the natural evolution of our language.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

Good ones and you explained them well!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

seeker1963
Transparency! This one really pisses me off! Seems to me it has taken on the total opposite of it's real definition.

Yep! Whenever they use that word it means you aint see'ing nothing!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Literally - Stop using it. Just stop, unless you really mean it.

Utilize - OMG! It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for my eyes. It does not mean what you think it means, and it doesn't make you look smart. Just use use already!!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hero - literally, what an over-utilized word!!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

YES!

As heartless as some may construe it, I totally agree!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
At least like seems to have fallen off the radar ...

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
My current pet peeve word is "reform."

Immigration "reform?" Translation - amnesty. What exactly needs to be reformed about our immigration laws? Were they too tough for potential immigrants? Many immigrants found them acceptable. Many others just didn't bother to try to follow the law.

Health care "reform?" What was reformed about health care? Were more doctors created? Was more medical equipment made available? Was the cost of perscription medication lowered? No. The only thing that was "reformed" was that people were mandated to buy insurance, giving the insurance companies the chance to gouge everyone with less coverage at a higher cost.

The word "reform" is becoming just as ugly as "bipartisan." When you hear either one coming out of Washington, prepare to be screwed.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Oh, I just remembered:

Tolerance - Lately it seems to mean give me my way the exact way I want it and screw you and what you might want. Oh, and while you are servicing my needs, how dare you not appear very, very happy about it, too.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
john dee obfuscated language by adding thousands of words around 1600AD

ALL language is a trap...SPELLing

You only know meaning in your heart, that's why faith supercedes law, words are only there to muddy the pool.

Look into the language of the birds, the alchemical green language, and you'll find that the concepts you mean still exist and in full force, it's just that evil is using language to bind us, keep us busy and running in circels.
Telepathy is the door, dreams your vehicle..

It's K.I.S.S. rukes( Keep It Simple Stupid

"Thruth doesn't need discussion, it just is"

# language, be quiet

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
A= double pyramid
B= Bee/Be
C= See

etc etc

back in the days of Athens, there were TWO kinds of education.
Kids were tested when young and made into two groups.
The ones they called Mathematica (those who need learning via books)
And the ones they calles Acousmatica (The Listeners, who learn via Gnosis, dreams, visions, symbols, nature in all it's forms etc, they don't need books, they KNOW)

We only know of one sort of education in our 'schools'(prisons) today and not very many people today know of this second form of education in Athens, it's been hidden by the 'elite' (very stupid word, they are not elite, we are, the 99%))

Understanding the difference between these two form of gaining knowledge will in essence explain to you why kids today get labeled with diseases, it's not that the kids are 'sick'...., no society is very sick(by disregarding the acousmatica)

an autistic kid? simply someone who is so pure that they can not understand lies, and our world is full of that, top to bottom.., they can't even understand commercials, cos they believe (at first) what they are told...think of what happened to Hal in 2001 odyssey...

an adhd'er? do some proto-history research and you'll find that it's a trait in our dna from when we were in the woods hunting small game and were constantly looking in all directions for any game or danger...an adhd'er is like the boss of a herd, everybody is going around their business and the boss is up and looking out for everyone..

know your history, but remember that history is all language ever written, so only proto-history(before ice age, no language but symbols) will make one understand the true nature of duality.

there's enough in here for anyone to investigate further, I'll stop using language now

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The Universal Language, the language before 'babel'...

we are fighting a conspiracy that dates back over 6400years, language being their main tool...., and you see how it works today.
nobody understands eachother anymore and those in power just make up new words to get away with anything they want (QE for instance, what the f is that word? it's a lie? should be called bail out, but they don't want us thinking about that while they rob us blind, so they just made up a new word..., been going on for ages..., nothing new under the sun!

we are getting close now, the acousmatica are being called, abilities being activated, don't worry.

There are 4 world, material, mental, astral and spiritual
3 of those worlds are con/trolled by 'evil'
stay in the fourth and they can not touch you....., NEVER let anyone tell you or let you read what something MEANs..., me neither, don't believe my words..., search within..., polish your mirror and all will be revaeled.

top topics

join