It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Why Gold Would Be Useless in an Economic Apocalypse'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

There are many subtle levels to a SHTF scenario. In one of those subtle scenarios, people are brought back to fundamentals. In that scenario, we would only need things valuable for survival. Plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

dodol
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

sometimes i wonder why non-edible things like "money" or golds are more valuable on this planet.

peace

It's all about availability. The most valuable thing to a human is oxygen, you don't last for more than a few minutes without it. If you have plenty of air then you move on to things like water, food, shelter, etc. Once you meet the immediate needs, you move on down the list to insure your continued survival. You'll give up all the food and water you have if you need to breathe. You'll trade whatever food you have for water if you're dying of thirst. Etc.

"Money" is just an exchange medium you use to acquire what you need.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I think that what could be a corollary point to my thread is the idea of Libertarians championing the gold issue. When are people gonna realize that all of the parties are being bought out?
edit on 31-3-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: wrong word

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Better to have some than not have it ,people who think they are going to be able to garden and sit there waiting for food to grow during a Mad Max scenario are dreaming big time

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wombatta

The people coming in and raiding your village have to eat from something. Not that they're gonna deserve to. You can be the hero.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I have always said to invest in had cranked food processing equipment like grain mills, cream separators, barrels (food grade plastic), wine press, thresher, also washing machines, cauldrons, horse and bullock yokes for later on.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

VictorVonDoom
why would the Federal Reserve need to take seven years to return Germany's gold?

Well, that is the time period Germany asked for it to be returned in....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Gold has always been the final medium of exchange in our history.
This will not change in the next SHTF either....
Try packing a hundred pound sack of spuds to trade with....you wont get far.....
Gold can be tucked away and carried easily as well as silver....
Coinage rather than bulk would be optimum I think.....
As some with excess to trade will always take gold/silver for goods the stuff will be invaluable SHTF.
Certainly survival depends upon other things, but these are unwieldy to trade with....gold will be the medium,
not perhaps locally so much as over distances etc....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abavs

it wont matter. As the rich and elite take refuge underground in cities big enough to support 5000 in each one with enough food to last 10 years. The people on the surface will be fighting and killing each other over food, clothes, shelter and women. In the end there will be no one left on the surface and then the rich and powerful will return to the surface.

Amen to that!

Thanks for the read @brazenalderpadrescorpio

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join