It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Already Impacting ‘All Continents’ According To New International Report

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

amazing
Wow. so much ignorance on this thread!

So, you guys are saying that you don't believe in scientists. Get your climate data from the bible...that sort of thing?

Pull some quotes from this thread to back this up. Strawman much?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

swanne
reply to post by amazing

Science makes mistakes all the time. That's why a true scientific never considers a theory as 100% true.

Unfortunately, many scientists have a salary which depends on their political allegiance.

This doesn't mean that these scientists are wrong. It means that we just can't know if they are, since it's all about politics in the end of the day.

if this was just a few scientists and organizations and universities and countries...then yes. I would agree with you. but this is...all of them. Every single one of them and thousands of studies. It's on par with saying that evolution isn't true. or that the earth is only 6000 years old.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

amazing

So, you guys are saying that you don't believe in scientists. Get your climate data from the bible...that sort of thing?

Global Warming is real and we are causing it. Just about every scientist on Earth agrees on that.

Yet, what you guys will focus on is Carbon Taxes and Al Gore. LOL When it should be focusing on what we should do about it...then we can have a debate about the pro's and con's of carbon tax and whether it benefits citizens or not.

Please go give this comment to the Chinese "higher ups".

Then come back and tell me what they said.

Until China lowers their pollution "alot" we are just urinating in the wind.

We can study till our brains fall out, talk until our voices are gone, but it won't change a damn thing.

One thing it will change is the population of the "west" being brainwashed by propaganda saying we can "fix it.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

But that's two separate issues. A

Nope it isn't.

The same can be said of fox news and those 3% of scientists in the pocket of big oil and coal and the auto makers that don't want us to have better gas mileage and the politicians that financially benefit by denying the truth of man made global warming. That is not denying ignorance.

What the hell does 'fox news' have to do with the topic ?

Not a damn thing.

Nice red herring.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Goteborg

amazing

Funny how you pull the word Strawman out so much every time someone disagrees with your point of view?

Scientists...all of them, basically are saying that Global Warming is real and caused by man. When you deny that or disagree with that you are basically saying.. yeah...I'm not going to believe the scientists. That's what I'm saying. Show me the straw man in that?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

amazing

Goteborg

amazing

Funny how you pull the word Strawman out so much every time someone disagrees with your point of view?

Scientists...all of them, basically are saying that Global Warming is real and caused by man. When you deny that or disagree with that you are basically saying.. yeah...I'm not going to believe the scientists. That's what I'm saying. Show me the straw man in that?

I use words when they are applicable. You said that there is ignorance on this thread, you implied that that ignorance is based on religious beliefs. I asked you to prove it. I called what you did by the name that has been accepted for your particular logical fallacy, the Strawman, because you aren't talking to people about what they really said, you are attributing statements to people who said no such thing and then attacking your inaccurate version of what they said instead of what they really said.

You implied bible driven beliefs in this very thread, prove it.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Scientists and great thinkers once thought the earth was flat.

Guess if science says it, it must be true!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

boymonkey74
I wish people would look at the data before automatically thinking it is BS.
What If it isn't? are you willing to bet your grandkids future on it?.

Why would I have to bet my grandchildren's future on it?

Why can we not adapt to the changing climate? Um like our ancestors had to do.

To think we can keep the climate the same just for us is cimpletely arrogant.

Mankind has survived in the past. We can survive in the future.

If we can "fix it" then I am sure we can find a way to live in a changing environment.

link   

neo96
reply to post by amazing

But that's two separate issues. A

Nope it isn't.

The same can be said of fox news and those 3% of scientists in the pocket of big oil and coal and the auto makers that don't want us to have better gas mileage and the politicians that financially benefit by denying the truth of man made global warming. That is not denying ignorance.

What the hell does 'fox news' have to do with the topic ?

Not a damn thing.

Nice red herring.

Red herring? There are all kinds of quotes from fox news stating that global warming isn't real including Sean Hannity for one.

link   
reply to post by amazing

You didn't answer my question: if current climate change is caused by AGW, then what caused Ice ages to end? 150,000,000 years ago, when there was no industries, Earth's global temperature spiked as it went up 25 degrees F.

Are you suggesting this was caused by anthropogenic influence too? If not, then why are we now? Why can't we be allowed to even consider the possibility that the current climate change could be caused by natural factors?

BTW I am atheist, I support evolution, and I do not watch Fox nor any of its competitors. It saddens me that I need to write a disclaimer when I discuss with you.

edit on 31-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

beezzer

Science also proved that earth was round.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

swanne
reply to post by amazing

You didn't answer my question: if current climate change is caused by AGW, then what caused Ice ages to end? 150,000,000 years ago, when there was no industries, Earth's global temperature spiked as it went up 25 degrees F.

Are you suggesting this was caused by anthropogenic influence too? If not, then why are we now? Why can't we be allowed to even consider the possibility[/] that the current climate change could be caused by natural factors?

But don't you see? We're not scientist, I'm not a scientist. We're not talking about long term global changes and ice ages and all of that...but by short term climate changes caused by our industrial revolution....I can only go off of what every scientist in the world agrees upon and that is... wait for it...that global warming is caused by man.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

amazing

beezzer

Was that before or after Galileo was publicly shamed and banished to his living quaters for the rest of his life.

Tell me how long did his "theory" that the earth revolved around the sun actually take to be stated as fact?

link   

amazing

beezzer

Yes, but they must have been "globalists".

LOLZ

link   
reply to post by network dude

network dude
No grey area, you either drink the flukcing Kool aid, or you have your head stuck somewhere.

I said no such thing. I said read the report, look at the data and educate yourself. I actually support questioning authority 100%. What I don't support is blind acceptance without even looking at the data. If you have to put words in my mouth to have something to argue with me about, your position isn't very strong.

I KNOW Climate Change is being politicized, but I also happen to believe that it's real and that we can still do something about it if we would come together, but as long as people are denying it without looking at the facts, that's just not going to happen. If all people can do is make jokes about Al Gore, then we're on our way out.

reply to post by Goteborg

Goteborg
I downloaded it and I will read the whole thing. Interesting thing about the report, I just read the first three pages and consensus is equated to fact twice.

Could you please quote these 3 instances?

Pulling that quote out of the report and presenting it as un-assailable fact is...well...I'll be kind here and say that it was an act of misguided fervor.

That quote isn't from the actual report, it's from the Summary. My point is that people should READ the thing instead of denying it outright because FOX News says they should.

Climate change is happening and frankly, I don't care too much (so it's not misguided fervor that drives my position). My husband and I will be dead by the time we reach the 6 degree increase and we don't have kids, so I really don't care - Because my grandchildren won't be suffering in the last days that this planet can support human life. But I would think that those who have kids or plan to have kids would want more information on it.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

amazing
We're not talking about long term global changes and ice ages and all of that...but by short term climate changes caused by our industrial revolution...

So we conveniently ignore Earth's geological history:

edit on 31-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

liejunkie01

amazing

beezzer

Was that before or after Galileo was publicly shamed and banished to his living quaters for the rest of his life.

Tell me how long did his "theory" that the earth revolved around the sun actually take to be stated as fact?

And I, frankly, feel like Galileo here facing the inquisition. What would you guys have me do? Ignore every scientist on earth--except for a few. Some of you say that we are in a cooling trend. NASA data shows otherwise. Are you saying to ignore NASA? That's a whole different conspiracy right there. Are you saying to ignore all of these scientists because they are in the pocket of special interests...but I could so, so are those reasearchers, newscasters, bloggers and special interest groups who are denying this report.

And you see, it's not just this report...I'm looking at thousands of research papers. I never eve watched an inconvenient truth...I'm not drinking the Koolaide, I'm looking at and reading summaries of mountains of DATA, REPORTS, RESEARCH PAPERS. It's way more complicated than the flat earthers...It's like Tyson and Bill Nye fighting the young earth creationists.

How can you deny science? And if you can deny science here, then how can you cherry pick what science you believe? It's like the Christians. - no straw man--real question here---it's like the Christians cherry picking the bible..believing this passage and throwing that passage out... you guys are picking okay..I'll believe gravity and relativity but throw out climate science and listen to Hannity and Limbaugh because they are way more qualified. Or...maybe you don't listen to them. Where ARE you getting your information from that Global Warming is false and not man made? I'll take science for 500, Alex!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Are you really this dense? You ask me for 3 instances when you quoted me as saying there are 2 instances. You say that the information and statements in the opening section of the report don't reflect the content of the report? Are you serious? You linked to a report and told us all to pull our heads out and acquaint ourselves with the facts, I pointed out problems with your "proof."

I don't care what you believe but before you try to push your religion on me please be able to prove not only that your god exists but that he exists as you say he exists, until then kindly keep your doomcult to yourself.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

amazing
reply to post by network dude

Funny how you focus on the word "Almost" like that's the big disclaimer. Because if that were the case...Almost every scientist agrees on evolution. Almost every scientist agrees that we went to the moon. Almost every scientist believes the earth is older than 6000 years old. Because there will always be scientists in the special interests pocket and there will always be some wacky guys with diplomas that have contrarian view.

You seem to have missed the rest of my post. Would you like to address why science is still "studying" our climate?
What's the point? We already have it figured out right?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I love how people doing science...millions of them...and then stating the truth are called a doom cult! LOL

Oh, how we are doomed as a country,.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join