It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's whaling program not for scientific purposes, rules International Court of Justice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

rickymouse
Think about it, a scientific venture that kills 3600 whales. How can that be Good for the whales. I suppose that whale meat and oil pays the salaries of those scientists. Another scam in my book based on the exploitation of the whales.

Except one thing this venture is a facade and is not about science but about hunting for food!
Which is fine if it's to feed your family but not for commercial use! We have to stop exploiting
human beings and all animals never mind just the majestic Whale! A small victory in the war
on exploiting Earths species.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

So what kind of wrath are these folks calling down for killing divine creatures?

I don't like the idea of whale hunting, but what differentiates the Japanese from these guys aside from the scale. Not so long ago, the Japanese were in their canoes with their primitive harpoons, too. You penalize them because they became first world, but whale meat, like it or not, is also a part of their culture as a sea-going people.

You want them to give it up because they can kill on a grander scale than these traditional cultures can.

But the fact remains that they are killing whale for the same reason - it is a traditional food and part of their way of life.

We already asked them to give up massive amounts of their culture after WWII. How much more do you expect them to sacrifice so as to avoid offending your sensibilities?

I know this has made me massively unpopular, and I feel bad for the whales, too. But I massively loathe the self-righteous p****s on Whale Wars. There are so many people, you know, human beings, on this planet who are suffering that going to these lengths over whales just sometimes makes me ill no matter how much I like whales.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

BrianFlanders

rickymouse

BrianFlanders

rickymouse
Think about it, a scientific venture that kills 3600 whales. How can that be Good for the whales.

How many rats does science murder?

Last I heard, rats or rabbits are not recovering from near extinction.

Well, scientists could use their precious talents to fix the extinction problem instead of whining about how many whales Japan is murdering.

The whales were going extinct because of the whale killing to satisfy the demand for sushi and other delicacies. It wasn't a problem when Japan had a small population, but when you have 60 million people living in just one city, that creates a lot of demand.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

I am not even going to address that "race" comment...

Well it's true.

Somali pirates aren't given any quarter for their actions.

Paul Watson's actions against the Japanese whaling ships are acts of piracy, and should be dealt with accordingly.

You can't just ram another ship because they're doing something you don't like.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

NowanKenubi
reply to post by daaskapital

Well, if Japan said they needed a permit for scientific purposes, but deliberately used it for commercial ones, what makes anyone think they will honor their word about not going whaling in the Southern parts?

As you point out, they can leave this agreement and go solo.
There is some concern that they might not stop as they've agreed to, only time will tell I suppose. But Iceland and Norway don't even pretend to agree to stop whaling. I read somewhere that some of their whale meat exports ended up in premium dog food in Japan.

So if the Sea Shepherd gets bored with no Japanese whaling vessels to oppose, I suppose they could always go harass Iceland and Norway whaling vessels.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Most of the Whaling done in Japan is done for profit, whale meat and oils bring a good premium. Some whaling is done for tradition but most for the money involved. I bet if they made it highly illegal to SELL whale meat along with regulations, there would be few people out there whaling. Of course there would have to be very stiff penalties for selling it.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

AlphaHawk

I am not even going to address that "race" comment...

Well it's true.

Somali pirates aren't given any quarter for their actions.

Paul Watson's actions against the Japanese whaling ships are acts of piracy, and should be dealt with accordingly.

You can't just ram another ship because they're doing something you don't like.

But your forgetting whaling is illegal under international law ,the Japan ships are hiding under the cover of "research"

Also they are not "commandeering" the ship like Somali pirates .

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I'm not forgetting it, I'm not a fan of the Japanese and their methods either and this international ruling is a huge step in the right direction.

But what Sea Shepherd is doing, is, without a doubt, piracy.

Look at the Ady Gil incident, both parties claim that they got rammed by the other, but international shipping rules say that the larger ship has the right of way, and also, the smaller ship is a lot more manoeuvrable and would have easily gotten out of the way I'd they wanted to.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Humans like u suck!! Like ur far more inferior than a magnificent whale?!! Sickening..reply to post by BrianFlanders

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Hooray, finally common sense has prevailed!.

Now they just need to stop the fishermen beating hundreds of dolphins to death.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well, fair is fair.

Time to put their whaling fleets on the bottom of the Ocean and also reduce Japan's population to the same % lost that the whales have suffered.

Fair is fair.

Derek

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join