It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's whaling program not for scientific purposes, rules International Court of Justice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan's whaling program is not for scientific purposes and has forbidden the granting of further permits.

The finding by a 16-judge panel at the ICJ is in favour of Australia's argument that Japan's whaling program is carried out for commercial purposes rather than scientific research.

Japan's whaling program not for scientific purposes, rules International Court of Justice

"In light of the fact the Jarpa II [research program] has been going on since 2005, and has involved the killing of about 3,600 minke whales, the scientific output to date appears limited," said presiding judge Peter Tomka of Slovakia.

"Japan shall revoke any existent authorisation, permit or licence granted in relation to Jarpa II and refrain from granting any further permits in pursuance to the program."

Oh boy, they must be furious, lol.

The ICJ has ruled in Australia's favour, concluding that Japan is conducting whaling expeditions for commercial purposes, rather than scientific purposes. The overall result was 12 votes to 4.

Personally, i am glad that the ICJ has ruled in favour of halting the Japanese whaling in the Southern Ocean.

The ICJ's ruling is final and cannot be overturned.
edit on 31-3-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
That's a good Victory for the the M/V Steve Irwin & the Sea Shepherd crew!

Maybe now they will get the support they deserve!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I never doubted for a moment that Japan was killing far more whales than would be needed for scientific purposes, so this ruling merely confirms what seemed to be extremely obvious.

What happens now? Will they actually abide by this ruling and stop killing so many whales?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Arbitrageur

I never doubted for a moment that Japan was killing far more whales than would be needed for scientific purposes, so this ruling merely confirms what seemed to be extremely obvious.

Agreed.

What happens now? Will they actually abide by this ruling and stop killing so many whales?

That, i am unsure of. Apparently, they needed permits to conduct whaling. After this hearing, it has been ruled that permits will never again be issued to Japan to whale in the Southern Ocean...Furthermore, Japan has said it will honour and uphold the court's verdict.

With that said though, the updated article above states that:

While Japan has committed to abide by the court's ruling it is free to continue whaling if it withdraws from the 1986 moratorium or the 1946 treaty.

edit on 31-3-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Except they are not related to this ruling as Australia and New Zealand were the ones that started the process.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Well, if Japan said they needed a permit for scientific purposes, but deliberately used it for commercial ones, what makes anyone think they will honor their word about not going whaling in the Southern parts?

As you point out, they can leave this agreement and go solo.

You gotta love international stuff... lol

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Think about it, a scientific venture that kills 3600 whales. How can that be Good for the whales. I suppose that whale meat and oil pays the salaries of those scientists. Another scam in my book based on the exploitation of the whales.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

rickymouse
Think about it, a scientific venture that kills 3600 whales. How can that be Good for the whales.

How many rats does science murder?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

BrianFlanders

rickymouse
Think about it, a scientific venture that kills 3600 whales. How can that be Good for the whales.

Last I heard, rats or rabbits are not recovering from near extinction. I suppose if I was a rat I would think differently. But I'm not a real mouse.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The wolf in sheep disguise. Or whale. You get my point.

Thanks for the info! S&F

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

rickymouse

BrianFlanders

rickymouse

Last I heard, rats or rabbits are not recovering from near extinction.

Well, scientists could use their precious talents to fix the extinction problem instead of whining about how many whales Japan is murdering.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Big win for Sea Shepherd!

Love those guys.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

What support is that?

If Paul Watson was black, he'd have been shot and his ships sunk for piracy.

It's great to hear this news, not that it will make a difference to the Japanese, but Sea Shepherd deserves no credit for this...two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Except they are not related to this ruling as Australia and New Zealand were the ones that started the process.

Any ruling in favor of the whales ,is a victory for the Sea Shepherd crew ...

So i would have to disagree and say it is indeed related

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

AlphaHawk

LightningStrikesHere

What support is that?

It's great to hear this news, not that it will make a difference to the Japanese, but Sea Shepherd deserves no credit for this...two wrongs don't make a right.

What are you on about?

Who said ANYTHING about them taking "credit" ...i SAID it's a VICTORY for them!.

SMH.. I am not even going to address that "race" comment...

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

This is great news and a victory for both the Whales and the Japanese people

We are still waiting for the full scale investigation of the whale meat scandal.

We are also still waiting for the whaling industry to pay back to money it took from the 2011 tsunami relief fund. The Japanese whaling programme costs Japanese taxpayers 1.2 billion yen every year - that's about €10 million or US$12 million - just in direct subsidies. It loses money every year and in 2011 US$30million was diverted by the government from the Fukushima recovery fund to pay off whaling industry debtors.
www.greenpeace.org...

Whaling is a dirty business in more ways than one.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

BrianFlanders

rickymouse

BrianFlanders

rickymouse

Last I heard, rats or rabbits are not recovering from near extinction.

Well, scientists could use their precious talents to fix the extinction problem instead of whining about how many whales Japan is murdering.

That is what the moratorium on whaling is trying to do. Are you dense? Or are you just addicted to that whale blubber?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Its about dam time!!! Thanks to the hard work of the whole Sea Shepard crew and the TV station for giving them air time.

Now if someone could crack down on them for killing the poor porpoises in their waters. The Japanese do not understand they are killing a truly divine creature of God who have immense brain power and should never be killed for food.

In my opinion and I will get flamed and all for this but it is "MY BELIEF" that Japan was made to suffer for these cruel acts already so they need to heed the warning from God.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

AlphaHawk

LightningStrikesHere

What support is that?

He is white and they already tried to shoot him and sink his boats many times. Or do you not watch the show?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I love whales but the truth is if the Japanese were hunting Cows and Chickens then how
would they vote! Because we eat cows and chickens and think of them as dumb game
animals that makes it ok! I don't agree with killing whales but I don't agree with killing
any animals, at least the Japanese go out and hunt them, instead of farming! I believe
we have a lot to learn as a species! We are way to arrogant, prideful and ignorant!
That makes one dangerous combination.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join