It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aging Successfully Reversed in Mice; Human Trials to Begin Next

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Bedlam
I've been looking into this - they don't actually give NAD, that won't work.

You give Nicotinimide mononucleotide, or NMN. The cells take that in and turn it into NAD+ internally. You have to do it IV. I haven't tried calculating out dosage equivalents for people yet.

NMN is pretty expensive but you can get it. If the doses don't turn out to be horrific it might be interesting to play with.

Basically, it fixes a lot of issues you have as you get older. You wouldn't get as winded, it fixes muscle tone, it improves exercise recovery, insulin resistance, energy on and on.

Your cells as you get older quit managing their mitochondria properly. You run out of the chemical messengers that the nucleus uses to tell the mitochondria when to throttle up and down. So your cells are, as the study says, pseudo-hypoxic all the time. They're starved for energy. And when they could be in 'power down' mode, the mitochondria put out too MUCH, stressing the cell.

how about micro-encapsulating it like liposomal vitamin c?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

SLAYER69
Which age/decade of life would be considered optimal?

I'm sure many would have varying opinions on that.

Physically, it's tough to beat late teens/early 20's.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Bedlam
I've been looking into this - they don't actually give NAD, that won't work.

You give Nicotinimide mononucleotide, or NMN. The cells take that in and turn it into NAD+ internally. You have to do it IV. I haven't tried calculating out dosage equivalents for people yet.

it looks like they have reason to believe that isn't so, perhaps a special way of preparing it.

The next step in his research is to find out exactly how much time this compound could potentially add to the average mouse’s life. He plans to add NAD to the drinking water of lab mice and see if it delays the onset of chronic diseases linked to aging, like cancer, diabetes, inflammation, loss of eyesight, and muscle wasting.

Read more: Harvard Researchers Successfully Reverse Aging in Mice | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

gort51
Cool...I'll be a test subject.

Arnold Schwarzalphabet and Sylvester Stallion have both been taking Amino acids and muscle growth suppliments for the past 50 years, and they still both look like they are in their 20s..........

Be careful for what you ask for - there seems to be a trade-off between longevity and getting cancer. Rapid aging was caused by a hyper-active immune system killing off every single cell with the slightest internal chemistry change. Suppress the immune system, and the patient has more chance of getting tumours/cancer.

Doubling the life span of a mouse from two to four years wouldn't make much long-term difference, but imagine doubling life-span from one hundred to two hundred years for a human.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Just thought LightningStrikesHere might like a bit of an historical perspective. Happens I'm totally into epigenetics - and the personalized medicine that will come out of this kind of research.

edit on 31/3/14 by soficrow because: add name

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

You're welcome.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

MasterOfTheDamned

it looks like they have reason to believe that isn't so, perhaps a special way of preparing it.

I hear you, but the actual paper and the popularized article diverge on what was done and how. That usually means the journalist wasn't paying attention, or misunderstood a joke or offhand statement.

If you just want a bunch of NAD to take orally, that's every-day stuff...

linky

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The problem with increasing niacin compounds is that it seems to increase insulin response. I have upped my intake of niacin in foods, I feel good. I did it naturally by making sure I consumed more foods with natural B3 in them. Now when I do something, I break free the nitrogen on the muscles which expands the blood vessels and lowers my blood pressure too low and I get dizzy. I'm working on fixing this inconvenience. My metabolism is damaged because my liver got damaged from some epilepsy drugs. I do not know if others will have these problems. Years of experiments on myself and research into what I have experienced haven't always had good results...but I am learning from this. A researcher who does not experience this stuff on their own cannot really understand how these things feel. I know, Alchemy is dangerous. It hasn't killed me yet. Over consuming nitrogen foods can cause problems. Remember, lettuces and green veggies are nitrogen compounds also. The sodium in our saliva interacts with veggies to make sodium nitrate.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

SLAYER69

I would say having the experience of a 40+ with the health ,energy and body of a 20 year old would be my ideal preference.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

interupt42

SLAYER69

I would say having the experience of a 40+ with the health ,energy and body of a 20 year old would be my ideal preference.

Heck, everything's gone ok up until now (50 this year), and now it's tough keeping the weight off. I wouldn't mind being 30-40 for another 50 years...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

Aging Successfully Reversed in Mice; Human Trials to Begin Next

Benjamin Button-Mouse ???

I'd like to stop ageing, but reversing it... puberty was bad enough the first time around!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

edit on 1-4-2014 by Bachrk because: wrong post, no coffee, apologies

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Riddles
Have you forgotten how long the Jewish elders were reported to live?

Really, you don't see such long lives ascribed to anybody else. Since there are clear signs in the Sumerian texts that some sort of genetic manipulation was going on even in antiquity, I've assumed for years now that Ea Nudimmud had turned the aging gene to "off" for his "chosen" elites.

I think pretty much the same thing is going to happen this time around too. Only the elites or the very rich will have this available to them. The masses will find the procedure far too expensive.

At the times of the the Jewish Elders there was not the internet reporting the results of the aging research in real time worldwide. Kind of hard to hide that!

The knowledge on the internet will only increase. Given enough time there will be enough information for people to do their own experiments and their own trials.

Most people can probably be kept alive to 120 just by keeping their heart beating and nothing else. So, the increased health in the 70s and 80s, and 90s are bound to happen without too much difficulty. The average age of death has been increasing for everyone not just the elites.
edit on 1-4-2014 by wayforward because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Pimpintology
I knew of a chemical before this that did almost the same thing. You can buy it from research chemical suppliers. Not sure this is anything but that original chemical.

Would you, pretty please, share the name of said chemical?? I wouldn't, myself, go right out and buy it, but I would do further research on said chemical...to determine whether I'd chance buying it, chance using it...ya know, weigh the pros and cons.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

EA006
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Love the idea but i concur with above poster. It won't get to the public domain. We're over-crowded as it is.

I'm sure that certain extraordinarily wealthy folks will get a chance to utilize it. After all, the world already belongs to them, right?

The everyday proles would never be allowed to partake of something like this.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Habit4ming

Here is a link:
Nicotinamide mononucleotide

I remember seeing the dose at 500mg/kg. So for a person weighing 150 pounds a single dose would come close to $70,000.00 at the price given in that link.

ETA: found the link. From a quick scan I gather that it was administered once a day for 7-10 days so multiply the amount above accordingly. Bummer.

edit on 1-4-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We all have a responsibility to die, what's the deal with trying to make us "immortal"? We're not all 33rd degree Masons!

Until we finger out how to feed and water the 7 billion + on this planet w/o driving all other species to extinction and w/o polluting our biosphere, why don't we put all that energy and $ that was going to be direct @ immortality to fixing what I just said?

Derek

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
False hope, i'm guessing so that people stop looking after themselves because they think there is a magical drug that will keep them young forever. this wont make you immortal. junk food and un healthy living will still kill you. just a little slower.

They could still work this into their plans to milk this planet dry.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

The compound the mice ate resulted in their muscles becoming very toned, as if they’d been exercising.

Yes be skeptical, muscly mice are not to be confused with " a reversal in aging process".

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The whole subject of immortality, indefinately extended life, reverse-ageing is no joke. It’s right around the corner, like so many other mind-blowing technologies today. I’ve been reading about advancements in this area for 15-20 years now, and it’s truly becoming a reality soon. It’s no longer sci-fi.

Who gains access to it, how society accepts/rejects it, how religious beliefs are affected, etc, etc, etc. only time will tell. All I know is, it is real and it’s coming soon.

God, just think... If Mick Jagger gets ahold of this, none of us are safe...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join