It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aging Successfully Reversed in Mice; Human Trials to Begin Next

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Korg Trinity

Who cares??

just give me more life now.... let's worry about the side effect after I gained my extra 30 or 40 years.... by then they will have cured the side effects anyway!

Korg.

If it were up to me, Korg, I'd give you all the years you wanted, side effect-free. You seem to have a wonderful appreciation for life.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I did a lot of research on this subject, tracking down what they were doing. It takes a while to figure out where to find the chemistry. I haven't quite figured out if there are side effects from this yet so I won't say much. The problem I ran into is that cancerous cells can also utilize this chemistry to grow. They may have combined a few natural chemicals to fix this problem but as the OP stated, they aren't giving out all the information in this article. I can neutralize some problems but not all. This appears to also be something where you may need to have proper genetic expression responses, it is not right for everyone. The thing with the mice it was tested on is that they do not possess our kind of intelligence as a necessary trait. It may make us have thinking problems. That can only be assessed with human trials.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Wooh wooh wooh..
.hold-up derah padnah!!'..I an't no Doc but they are talking about growing cells..am i right??..if so then when do the cancer kicks in

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NID+) is involved in epigenetic processes that control gene expression. The so-called "aging" that occurs when it's depleted are actually disease processes - so replacing the NID doesn't so much "reverse aging" as it treats "age-related diseases." Not a bad thing.

Here's more info on NAD+.

Minireview: NAD+, a circadian metabolite with an epigenetic twist.

Abstract
A wide variety of endocrine, physiological, and metabolic functions follow daily oscillations. Most of these regulations are controlled at the level of gene expression by the circadian clock and, a remarkably coordinated transcription-translation machinery that exerts its function in virtually all mammalian cells. A large fraction of the genome is under control of the circadian clock, a regulation that is achieved through dynamic changes in chromatin states. Recent findings have demonstrated intimate connections between the circadian clock and epigenetic control. The case of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, which modulates the circadian activity of the deacetylase sirtuin 1, constitutes a paradigmatic example of the link between cyclic cellular metabolism and chromatin remodeling. Indeed, the clock transcriptional feedback loop is interlocked with the enzymatic loop of the nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide salvage pathway.
PMID: 22186411

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Agartha
.....Stallone on the other hand looks like he's had lots of surgery, just like his mum....his face looks stiff and 'plastichy'.

A Stallone fan shot me down a few years ago when I made similar comments - seems Stallone's face was partially paralyzed at birth due to an accident with the forceps.

Complications his mother suffered during labor forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth; misuse of these accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of Stallone's face.[11][12] As a result, the lower left side of his face is paralyzed – including parts of his lip, tongue, and chin – an accident which has given Stallone his snarling look and slightly slurred speech.[12]

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought he just had too much botox lately....wow, thanks for telling me.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I've been looking into this - they don't actually give NAD, that won't work.

You give Nicotinimide mononucleotide, or NMN. The cells take that in and turn it into NAD+ internally. You have to do it IV. I haven't tried calculating out dosage equivalents for people yet.

NMN is pretty expensive but you can get it. If the doses don't turn out to be horrific it might be interesting to play with.

Basically, it fixes a lot of issues you have as you get older. You wouldn't get as winded, it fixes muscle tone, it improves exercise recovery, insulin resistance, energy on and on.

Your cells as you get older quit managing their mitochondria properly. You run out of the chemical messengers that the nucleus uses to tell the mitochondria when to throttle up and down. So your cells are, as the study says, pseudo-hypoxic all the time. They're starved for energy. And when they could be in 'power down' mode, the mitochondria put out too MUCH, stressing the cell.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You might find this article interesting.

“Nicotinamide, also known as niacinamide and nicotinic acid amide, is the amide of nicotinic acid (vitamin B3/ niacin). ....n cells, niacin is incorporated into nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP), although the pathways for nicotinamide and nicotinic acid are very similar. NAD+ and NADP+ are coenzymes in a wide variety of enzymatic oxidation-reduction reactions.[3] (ref)”

Observation 1: The body absolutely needs to have an adequate supply of niacin or niacinamide available to make the amounts of NAD and NADP required for health. Further, this must come from dietary sources, foods or supplements.

Observation 2: The research literature related to therapeutic use of niacin/niacinamide is at first confusing expressing different viewpoints that have emerged during different periods of time and representing different ways of looking at the effects of substance. Some articles cite reasons why large doses of niacin may promote longevity, and other articles cite reasons why such use may shorten life.

Observation 3: For about 40 years large doses of niacin have been used for several therapeutic purposes. Many physicians currently prescribe large doses of niacin for lipid control and other purposes. Mild benefits seem to exist in some areas like raising HDL cholesterol. The long-term consequences of repeatedly taking large doses are unknown.

Observation 4: Large scale niacin dosage profoundly affects multiple genes through multiple pathways producing both wanted and unwanted results. While many researchers are excited by the possibilities of niacin-related therapies for a variety of conditions, the one thing they agree on is a need for further understanding of the pathways involved.

Observation 5: The sirtuin-related pathways involving the niacin metabolites NAD and NADP are among those related to niacin most intensely studied in recent years. Large doses of niacin/niacinamide inhibit the expression of SIRT1 and therefore prevent the health and longevity benefits associated with expression of SIRT1.

edit on 31/3/14 by soficrow because: oops

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by Bedlam

You might find this article interesting.

That's why they're using NMN and not niacin...

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Hey thank you.very much for the info!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Pimpintology
I knew of a chemical before this that did almost the same thing. You can buy it from research chemical suppliers. Not sure this is anything but that original chemical.

What's the name of this chemical?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Thank you for this reply. I'm a HUGE flushing Niacin fan. I take 500mg twice per day if nothing else. I don't look anywhere near my age. My dad, a life long body builder, is also a big fan of the flushing Niacin. He's 72, eats clean, has a full head of hair and impressive amount of muscle. He's built like a Mack truck and strong as and Ox. His last full panel blood labs were compared to a healthy man in their late forties. I have no doubt Niacin has been a major contributor to his health.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the post but truthfully, after just reading the thread about Harry Reid---well, could we have a prohibition on politicians ever obtaining this substance?
Just a thought!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Past things lose value; inflation. We will live longer. The question is how much?

Are the results real and applicable to humans? Even if it's, it'll take another 10-30 years before it's approved. I'm sure before that time there'll be many people and businesses trying to mimic the effect before it's approved.

I'm not getting my hopes up about this helping anyone, though.

We don't have to walk to school in 20 feet of snow and a blizzard and also walk back anymore. Children used to die before the age of 5 a lot more than they do now. In general, people died of things we commonly survive nowadays.

Doesn't mean life is easier. We'll learn more. Our worries will spread to other things, kind of like how species migrate to a new place for food.

For example, instead of kids worrying about helping dad with the firewood and/or putting up fence and/or tiling the crops and/or butchering the deer and/or other things kids used to worry about, kids now go to school. It used to be the parents needed them a lot more at home to help with necessities. Part of it's machines and technology and the rest is there's just so much more to learn.

As I understand it, machines and computers do repetitive and/or physical work a lot better than we do. This has freed us up and forced us to be more mental. This is why kids are having to go to school. They have to know a lot. If they don't know much then they can't compete against the machines and computers. If you can't compete then you're a useless weight on society. Or maybe you're Amish.

Soon computers will be able to create art and the line between human and artificial intelligence may blur. Still, I'm confident humans will always find ways to stay several steps ahead somehow. Thankfully, the majority of humans are not content to sit on their laurels and let the tidal wave sweep them away. They will fight and they will climb over and/or overcome obstacles. Humans are too resourceful. Of course, for the people who do not change or innovate, life isn't as rosy. But they'll receive help and the reality is almost never as bad as the fears are.

I may make it sound all easy and automatic and painless, but it's really not. Thing is, I think people tend to fire their fears too much; it's instinctive. I also think we exaggerate the pace of technology advancement. So while I think AI will one day be able to create art on the level of today, it'll probably be a while before that happens, and by that time humans will have improved that much more over today.
edit on 31-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I figured it wasn't straight NAD+ they were giving the mice. Do you have any papers you can link us to where you discovered the other molecule?

Interesting....

I wonder if the price is because of difficulty in synthesis or is it simply because it's such a rare thing to begin with.

Also, sent you a u2u btw.
edit on 31-3-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Population boom wudnt be a problem. Just build islands and power them with the sea. Just stay out of fights and dont have an any accidents. We could have Utopia if there wasnt the need to tax and make everything scarce.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
So very sorry, (if a mod could help with this) Much appreciated the external link button won't come up but this is a good read for those who want a more thorough chemical makeup of what was given to the mice. Beginning - Nicotinamide is used as substrate to yield nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN)
NMN can then be transformed into nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)

Further Reading

A New—and Reversible—Cause of Aging
By DAVID CAMERON
December 19, 2013
Nicotinamide Mononucleotide reverses aging in mice in one week
hms.harvard.edu...

"Researchers have discovered a cause of aging in mammals that may be reversible.
The essence of this finding is a series of molecular events that enable communication inside cells between the nucleus and mitochondria. As communication breaks down, aging accelerates. By administering a molecule naturally produced by the human body, scientists restored the communication network in older mice. Subsequent tissue samples showed key biological hallmarks that were comparable to those of much younger animals."

Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Phosphate
www.sigmaaldrich.com...

NAD+ and NADH in cellular functions and cell death.
Weihai Ying
"Increasing evidence has indicated that NAD+ and NADH play critical roles not only in energy metabolism, but also in cell death and various cellular functions including regulation of calcium homeostasis and gene expression. It has also been indicated that NAD+ and NADH are mediators of multiple major biological processes including aging. NAD+ and NADH produce the biological effects by regulating numerous NAD+/NADH-dependent enzymes, including dehydrogenases, poly(ADP-ribose) polymerases, Sir2 family proteins (sirtuins), mono(ADP-ribosyl)transferases, and ADP-ribosyl cyclases. Of particular interest, NAD+-dependent generation of ADP-ribose, cyclic ADP-ribose and O-acetyl-ADP-ribose can mediate calcium homeostasis by affecting TRPM2 receptors and ryanodine receptors; and sirtuins and PARPs appear to play key roles in aging, cell death and a variety of cellular functions. It has also been indicated that NADH and NAD+ can be transported across plasma membranes of cells, and that extracellular NAD+ may be a new signaling molecule. Our latest studies have shown that intranasal NAD+ administration can profoundly decrease ischemic brain damage."

edit on 31-3-2014 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/31/2014 by kosmicjack because: external link tags

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This story is nuts.

Interesting that one of the researchers said it would allow people to buy more time....buy more time. That means it will be for the rich.

Anyway, Go NAD!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

Scientists have successfully reversed the aging process in mice according to a new study just released. Human trials are to begin next, possibly before the year is over.

I think somebody might want to check tomorrow's date.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join