It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity - Who's correct?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
So I have a question. If I was to have to choose a form of Christianity, which one is the most 'biblically' correct?

For instance, some worship on Sunday, some on Saturday, it is ok to be gay, it is isn't, you should worship Mary, you shouldn�t, it is ok to get baptised as a baby, you should wait till your an adult, it is ok to eat all foods, you can only eat some, you shouldn�t drink and smoke, you can do what ever you want, it is ok to have 5 wives, you should only have one and the list goes on and on and on.

So if I had to choose a denomination, who has the doctrine that you could call the 'closest to what the Bible teachers'? If you want to share what you are and why you chose it that would be great as well, or if you have been something but got out because of any reason.. let us know!

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
As a Christian, I have no idea who is correct. How's that for an answer?
As a kid I went to "Undenominational" churches that could have passed for Baptist. I know this because as a young Adult I went to a Baptist Church. When I got married, my wife was 'uncomfortable' there because she was raised Pentecostal--Assembly of God. I tried that too, for several years. Now we attend, sometimes infrequently, an Undenominational Church. I discovered that the Bible translation may be different, but the meanings are the same.
The Bible does not change, but the rules in each Church do, even in churches in the same Denomination.
All I can suggest is to read the Bible and try to find a church that follows the writings REASONABLY CLOSELY, with as few Man-Made rules as possible. Your questions are all based on those Man-Made rules, not Biblical ones.
If somebody wants to show you the basis for their rule in the Bible, let them. Ask to see it in at least two places. God seems to have almost everything in there at least twice, sometimes with slightly different details. Read each spot they show you. THEN read some of the surrounding verses. Did they use their verse in a way that seems to be in context with the entire passage, or is their usage a kind of bad fit contextually? Does their use of the verse fit the rule or situation? Look for a good close fit, like a glove. Shy from anything that would require X-ray vision to see a connection.
That would be the best advice I could give.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Any "whose right" type of thread is kind of a loaded gun, but I'll share my thoughts anyway because it is an interesting question. My answer is that I have no clue. I am a christian. I read the bible frequently. What I've learned is that in the New Testament , several of the "books" are actually letters written to the different churches of the time. I do not claim to be a bible scholar so I yield to anyone more knowledgeable about this than I am. I believe many were written by Paul. Anyway, these letters are addressed to the churches of a particular city or area. The city of corinth hence the book of corinthians. Each of these letters seem to address different short comings of the churches. There is also praise for what is being done right, but mostly points what each church needed to work on. Each of these churches were very different in ceremony, theology, culture and other aspects. I also believe that the bible teaches that the "church" is the body of true believers, collectively, regardless of location or denomination. No group, branch, sect, denomination..etc.. has it all wrapped up.

I believe that it is up to each one one of us to "seek" so that that we shall "find". There were always disagreements about theology. The bible also says "not to forsake" assembling together for worship. I think that means that you need to take part in a group service but, it doesn't state that it be with the methodists, or baptists or whoever. I'll also haul out good old John 3:16 seen on every point after kick in the NFL. "whosoever believes in me, shall not parish, but have everlasting life." In a nutshell that's what I believe the requirement is, simply to believe in Jesus. I hope this was helpfull to your thread shmick, I will now darn my Flame Retardant suit.

doctorduh

[edit on 26-11-2004 by doctorduh]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Doctorduh
I have no idea who is correct. and you have no clue. Surprising that we would be the first to answer the question. I see that we are both from the same state also. Thanks for putting in some of what I should have included.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
After you Admit to God that you are a sinner, ask for forgiveness, accept His Son and repent, you have the right to call Him "Abba" (As a son would refer to his Dad). Read the scriptures, asking for guidance from the Holy Spirit. Ask Him to lead you to a church that best suits you. Hey, once you are one of His children, He's not going to just let you wander around blindly if you ask Him for help! Come on, what kind of Dad would He be?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawiea
Doctorduh
I have no idea who is correct. and you have no clue. Surprising that we would be the first to answer the question. I see that we are both from the same state also. Thanks for putting in some of what I should have included.

I appreciate your courage to jump in on this thread. Our opinions have a tendency to be fodder for flamers.
Do you know why this thread was moved to BTS?
doctorduh

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I know why. The thread is a spirituality one and not a conspiracy one.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctorduh
Do you know why this thread was moved to BTS?

No, Not even a bad guess. This might even be the first time I have been here. Nice blue background. I wonder why you need a separate LOG-IN from ATS to post here? I guess I ought to look in the FAQ for the answer to that. Flamers? How did we get this many posts without a heat job? Between you, me, and Thomas Crowne I think we pretty much answered the question. Seems like I read that BTS does not give out points, so maybe there will be no more posts?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I had a feeling this was going to get moved to this forum!

Thanks for the replies. It was what I expected to a degree yet still I wanted more!

Why more? Well I think a 'new age' movement has infiltrated the Christian church. This doesn�t mean that people worshipping 'new age' theology, but the notion of 'if it feels good do it' is definitely present.

By this I mean that Christians in general fail to question many of the things that they have been led to believe by their institution and not by what the Bible says.

For instance.. is rapture biblical? Is the common story of going straight to heaven when you die biblical, is the story of hell and torment forever Biblical?

Does salvation demand that you strictly follow what the Bible says? In spirit and in Truth! How can you do that with human interpretations?

From experience, many churches today have a very broad acceptance when it comes to beliefs. Thus my use of the term �new age�. Anyone can be saved, just as long as they have been �born again�. This theology in my mind is �once saved always saved�.

I know what you guys say when it comes to cross checking what the bible says, but if all denominations do this, why are there still so many of them?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by shmick25
I know what you guys say when it comes to cross checking what the bible says, but if all denominations do this, why are there still so many of them?

Did you ever see the movie Fiddler On The Roof? Or hear the song in it called TRADITION? All Denominations do NOT seem to check their rules against the Bible. They act on TRADITIONS, some so old that the origins are forgotten. That is the only reason I can think of for so many contradictory teachings.
You said "Well I think a 'new age' movement has infiltrated the Christian church." Very true. I have left various local churches for that very reason. As a Christian, I expect the Bible to be preached, not today's news headlines. I expect the majority of the sermons to deal in some way with Jesus. There are places out there where his name is not even mentioned except in song, prayer, or the obligatory Closing Invitation.
We had a good Assembly of God preacher who left to become a Missionary. His replacement was so concerned with "growing the Church" that the reason for the church was ignored. We among others, left. The church HAS grown, though, and has had a few changes. That is why I earlier posted "The Bible does not change, but the rules in each Church do, even in churches in the same Denomination. "
Almost anybody with any belief can point to the Bible. That is why I suggested "If somebody wants to show you the basis for their rule in the Bible, let them. Ask to see it in at least two places. God seems to have almost everything in there at least twice, sometimes with slightly different details. Read each spot they show you. THEN read some of the surrounding verses."Always double check the Context to see if it really means what you are told. Your questions are good ones. The answers are not easy to find because each side of the question likes the answers it's own way and tends to disregard the oppositions answers.
For the record, you ask--"is rapture biblical? Is the common story of going straight to heaven when you die biblical, is the story of hell and torment forever Biblical? " Yes, I believe in the Rapture. I do not believe in Purgatory, so at death Christians go straight to Heaven. I believe Hell and eternal torment to be Biblical.
You ask--"Does salvation demand that you strictly follow what the Bible says? In spirit and in Truth! How can you do that with human interpretations? "No. Salvation does not require that you strictly follow some part of the Bible, that is why so many denominations flourish and can be right.
The author of Corinthians said it was okay to do all things, but it is not always best. I'll reprint that below from the NIV.Check it out and read the surrounding stuff, too. There are online Bibles if you do not want to leave the computer now. Ultimate Bible Study and Resource Center has lots of reference material and some translations. I use it frequently.

1Co 6:12"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

( Remember, I said to always ask for a second source. here it is.)

James 3:2-- We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

See, we are not required to be perfect, we are expected to stumble. That is why Salvation is so great! Being Born Again means even a screw-up like me is acceptable. And I am a screw-up.

Was this closer to the kind of answer you were seeking?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
i just say i follow christ...if you do that with all of your heart he will help you to shed that wich is not of benifit to your soul and add that wich is..simple..also if we remember that no one is perfect we relax a little and try to seek the lord wherever we are planted (or attending a church) if you believe in christ as i do ..he never fails to answer..so ask

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ninki, good answer.You are right. He has never failed me either.
I see that you registered only recently. I found out AFTER I had been here awhile that there is a sort of "Newbie" Helpline. That is where somebody who has been here awhile is willing to help you in the beginning. I never tried that, but it seems to work for others. You can stumble blindly like me and try to light a figurative candle to find your way, or you can have somebody show you the light switch.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
good to talk to another follower......i think i will also try to stumble blindly for a while! look forward to talkin to you on the board:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
hey nevermind that emotiacon, i am still figuring this thing out...thought it was a smily face...see ya round

new topics

top topics

join